TamiyAddict362

Sharing my way of cutting the perfect wheel arches

Hi, everyone

This is my first thread of personal sharing. I hope this is the correct forum section, and if not, my apologies.

I'm a tamiya addict diagnosed with OCD. Not kidding, it's a medical diagnosis. I have sometimes obsessed with making things perfect, setting the bar higher than most of others do.

I'm particularly into making bodyshells, treating 1/10 as if they were static models, although my products are not as good as some experts' here.

During the past few years I guess I have completed a few dozens of bodyshells.

As sometimes I can see, people in general may find it problematic to deal with the wheel arches. I once have some photos shared somewhere that arouse somebody into asking if the wheel arches were pre-cut by tamiya.

Therefore I would like to share my personal skills of doing it perfect, or almost perfect.

Photos here are quite explanatory in themselves.

First of course we need a pair of bodyshell scissors. Mine is unbranded, cheap Chinese -made.

I usually cut it from the left side, up to around 1/3 of a wheel arch until it's difficult to turn around.

Then, cut it from the right handside, carefully bridging the cut line to match that left one. At this point of time, the cutting line needs not be too good, as some magic will follow.

[Note: I advise leaving some margins (around 0.5mm) not to be cut and remind on the bodyshell for sanding later.]

Afterwards, grasp a bottle that is hard enough. The diameter should not be that large, as seen in the photo. Wheel arches are sometimes not a perfect round role, but take more like an egg shape. Using a smaller bottle can helps achieve the desire shape by moving around.

Use a piece of rough sandpaper (what I use is #150, which is almost as rough as a file) to wrap the bottle, and then sand the wheel arches. The bottle does not rotate by itself, but you move up and down continiously, like when you watch some movies. But careful not to remove too much materials. I check every few seconds.

Then, there you go.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

6.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Haha 2

Also, for those who may be wondering my rims/tyre choice.

Let me explain a little bit.

Upon searching some photos I find that some Subaru rally cars have smaller rims and "thicker" tyres than some others. Perhaps they change rims/tyres in different road conditions.

Yes we could use the rally block to resemble the thicker tyres but then the proportion looks wrong. The normal touring rims are just too big and the rally block is still not thick enough.

Auction-Block-2004-Subaru-Impreza-WRC-Race-Car-0-Hero.jpg

2007-subaru-impreza-wrc-rally-car-at-goodwood-festival-of-speed-sussex-AEWW7T.jpg

I'm building this for rallying and causal bushing, so I prefer the car to sit higher. Suddenly when I was looking at an online store I was fascinated by the TT01E racing truck tyres. I think they make a better rally tyre than all others.

Then I found someone in the forum had mentioned that the racing truck rims are just m-chassis size. So I'm experimenting this - use the racing truck tyres on m-chassis wheels.

One problem may be that there is no suitable insert, so I just leave it empty inside. This set of wheels (#51362) features a matt-silver colour which is also very nice in my eyes.

I think it looks good, and I'll see if it's better in terms of bushing performance (if I'll ever go to run this car).

7.jpeg

8.jpeg

• Like 5

very nice job with the wheel arches. i usually try to match the lines prescribed on the body as close as possible. never considered using a bottle to sand it down, an electric dremel wasnt too far away for me for the body trimming.

ive seen some pics where perfectly circle wheel well cuts were made and dont resemble anything the car has in RL with the almost straight 90 finishing angle. cant say i cringe at perfectly circle cut outs but its a bit weird.

52 minutes ago, nel33 said:

ive seen some pics where perfectly circle wheel well cuts were made and dont resemble anything the car has in RL with the almost straight 90 finishing angle. cant say i cringe at perfectly circle cut outs but its a bit weird.

Exactly. So what I mean by perfect is not a perfect round role or 90 degree angle, but as close to the body line as possible, with smooth transitions between different sections too.

That's also why I like using a smaller bottle. See this 911 GT1 as an example, the shape of the rear wheel arch is tricky, and I think I captured it well using this small bottle with around 2" diameter. 

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TamiyAddict362 said:

Exactly. So what I mean by perfect is not a perfect round role or 90 degree angle, but as close to the body line as possible, with smooth transitions between different sections too.

That's also why I like using a smaller bottle. See this 911 GT1 as an example, the shape of the rear wheel arch is tricky, and I think I captured it well using this small bottle with around 2" diameter. 

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

yeah, the perfect does reflect RL, that 911 does have a weird wheel well arch but then again im not familiar with that company to begin with. not a fan of European high end cars. as long as they reflect the actual design then i dont mind the appearance much.

I use an Olfa circle cutter to cut the general size out, then use a cylindrical object with sand paper to finish the roundness as the OP.  

One can also roll up a magazine (or a calendar)  to get different diameters on demand.. maybe I am just too old.

@TamiyAddict362 the GT1 looks great, I really struggled with rear arches on mine, I’m quite tempted by another at the moment to use as a runner, I really like the decal job and silver colour it works so well.

It’s a great bit of inspiration to have another bash at one!

On 7/22/2021 at 4:55 PM, TamiyAddict362 said:

Hi, everyone

The bottle does not rotate by itself, but you move up and down continiously, like when you watch some movies

Did no-one pick up on this comment? This is the funniest and most honest thing I've read all day.

Thank you for the tip friend, and the laugh :D

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, EastWolfDownUnder said:

Did no-one pick up on this comment? This is the funniest and most honest thing I've read all day.

Thank you for the tip friend, and the laugh :D

And this:

On 7/22/2021 at 5:55 AM, TamiyAddict362 said:

grasp a bottle that is hard enough