Nickaford

Optima Rere speed

I have just finished building my Optima and have given it a quick run. I have built it stock and am running a Core RC 15t brushed motor with with Quicrun 1060 and 7.2V Nimh batteries.

I am a little disappointed as it feels slow - I ran my original Frog over the same surface (all stock with table-02 and old black endurance motor and “normal” gear ratio) and it is much faster. Is this to be expected or do I have a duff motor or messed up my ESC set up?

When I get some time to fiddle around with it, I will swap over the motors to see if that makes any difference. It is also quite a lot slower than my Rough Rider with a sport tuned motor.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like something is set up wrong; my Turbo Optima runs an old LeMans Stock 05 27T motor (basically Kyosho's version of a silver-can 540) on 2s lipo and it's plenty zippy. I would check your ESC setup, and also make sure you didn't over-tension or misalign the chain or belt. The Optima has a bit more drivetrain drag than 2WD buggies, but it shouldn't be excessive. Also maybe try gearing down a bit, 2-3 teeth smaller on the pinion gear and see if it helps; 4WD buggies like lower gearing.

I'm guessing you've set the esc jumper to, nimh setting?

The 1060 goes half speed close to lipo low voltage cut off, when set in lipo mode (I think its 6.4v , then cuts out completely at 6v)