toyolien

Super Duper Hotshot with Carbon Chassis.

5 hours ago, EsotericRC said:

Sick build. I recently found and dusted off the remnants of my old Supershot that I built new in '86 or '87. It's missing a bunch of parts, but gonna do a resto-mod project on it and have been scouring TC looking for Supershot builds to get ideas from. Love how yours turned out....so much so that I just ordered a carbon chassis kit from Phangster. Did you ever get the springs and oil dialed in for yours? 

Oh, and that scale workshop setup is badass as well!

Thanks very much. It's a joy to drive. I have had a play with the front springs and oil. I used one of the springs from the DF-03 setting spring set (53927), but can't remember which, and the oil I used first was too thick. So I used some thinner, but again can't remember. I have them both written down, so will have a look and let you know. It's still not perfect, but a lot better than before. Good luck with your build, and be sure to do a build thread on here...

1 hour ago, toyolien said:

Thanks very much. It's a joy to drive. I have had a play with the front springs and oil. I used one of the springs from the DF-03 setting spring set (53927), but can't remember which, and the oil I used first was too thick. So I used some thinner, but again can't remember. I have them both written down, so will have a look and let you know. It's still not perfect, but a lot better than before. Good luck with your build, and be sure to do a build thread on here...

That’s great to hear. I’ll definitely be putting together a build thread once I receive some of the parts. 
Did you end up running the more powerful brushless motor? How was it? Am wondering what the “safe” limit is in terms of brushless motors for the Hotshot/Supershot gears. I have an early LRP Sphere ESC and NEO One Sensoren brushless setup in my touring car, but pretty sure that would be “too much” for the Supershot gears. Might have to buy some spare gearsets (and maybe spare gearbox casings as well!) just in case…

One other question...you mentioned previously that the rollcage didn't quite fit perfectly on the CF Chassis and you ended up with a bit more space between the crossbars and ended up making longer crossbars to fill the gap. What part of the chassis causes this, and is it something that could be rectified by elongating or adjusting mounting holes at all? My CF chassis is now en route from Singapore, but don't know how long shipping will take to get here to the US, so i'm just trying to theorize if there are ways to address this before it gets here, or if i'll need to fabricate some longer crossbars as well. Thanks.

On 6/16/2022 at 1:35 AM, EsotericRC said:

That’s great to hear. I’ll definitely be putting together a build thread once I receive some of the parts. 
Did you end up running the more powerful brushless motor? How was it? Am wondering what the “safe” limit is in terms of brushless motors for the Hotshot/Supershot gears. I have an early LRP Sphere ESC and NEO One Sensoren brushless setup in my touring car, but pretty sure that would be “too much” for the Supershot gears. Might have to buy some spare gearsets (and maybe spare gearbox casings as well!) just in case…

I am using the Tamiya TBLM02S 15.5t motor on 2s lipo. It's plenty fast enough and the gearboxes to very happy. I don't think they'll give me any trouble.

9 minutes ago, EsotericRC said:

One other question...you mentioned previously that the rollcage didn't quite fit perfectly on the CF Chassis and you ended up with a bit more space between the crossbars and ended up making longer crossbars to fill the gap. What part of the chassis causes this, and is it something that could be rectified by elongating or adjusting mounting holes at all? My CF chassis is now en route from Singapore, but don't know how long shipping will take to get here to the US, so i'm just trying to theorize if there are ways to address this before it gets here, or if i'll need to fabricate some longer crossbars as well. Thanks.

There's no real need to elongate the holes. The cage fits just fine, it's just a touch wider at the base than the kit which is why I made the spacers a little wider. You'll see what I mean when you build it, but it's not a big deal at all.

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 8:46 PM, cambragol said:

Hmm...I wonder if there were any metal/carbon third party skid plates made for the Supershot...

On 8/3/2021 at 3:18 AM, toyolien said:

Let me know if you find one.

Just came across this recently...one of the members here on TC actually makes an aluminum skid panel. Don't remember what his screename is, but his store name is Mirage RC. 

Here's the link to his aluminum skid plate:

https://miragerc.com/shop/ols/products/aluminium-under-guard-for-the-hotshot-super-hotshot-and-super-shot

hi, I just bought the carbon chassis, could you please kindly let me know what size turnbuckles I need for the steering and from the servo to the steering linkage, thanks 

2 hours ago, razzar said:

hi, I just bought the carbon chassis, could you please kindly let me know what size turnbuckles I need for the steering and from the servo to the steering linkage, thanks 

I can't remember what length I ended up using, but I just measured the eye to eye length I needed once I'd assembled the chassis, and went from there.