TWINSET

LandFreeder (and others) Track Units 54948

223614104_3971952712931635_1867415424697

Recently posted by Mokei Kagaku on FB
The one disturbing nugget in his article is that they might cost as much as 80% of the cost of the Ladfreeder Quadtrack - that's around £250 in the UK

Another point raised was there's no mention as to whether these units will include ball bearings or not.

The G6-01 option looks interesting though (but possibly ridiculously expensive) - One pair tracks on front axle, then two track units on the middle and rear axles, joined into one large track :wub:

DESCRIPTION
It’s time to fit your favorite compatible Tamiya R/C vehicle with these optional Track Units. As first seen in the Landfreeder QuadTrack kit, these tracks replace standard wheels and rubber tires with tracks!

Trucks and other compatible Tamiya vehicles with tracks are a fun way to transverse terrain, such as sand, snow, and even mud!

• Track Units x2
• These 3-sided track units can be used in place of the wheels on various Tamiya chassis platforms.
• Awesome grip on rough terrain is facilitated by each track pivoting on an axis at the top of its roller arm. This is further enhanced by the sprung third roller.
• Their remarkable traction can be used to take on not only paved roads but also snow, sand, mud and other tricky surfaces.
• Each track unit is composed of an upper drive sprocket connected to the chassis drive shaft to transfer power and eight individual rollers, enveloped by assembly plastic link-type tracks with soft inserts, that are connected by metal link pins.
• Choose one from two types of track links (standard or grouser).
• Compatible with TT-02 (*1), CC-01, CC-02, GF-01 (CB, TR), G6-01(TR) (*2), and WR-02 (CB) (*3) chassis cars.
*1:Separately sold Item 50354 (16T, 17T Pinion Gear Set) and 54114 (CR-Tuned Motor (35T)) are required when using TT-02 chassis cars.
*2:When using G6 chassis cars, central and rear axles can be combined with one track unit.
*3:Please note that using this set on the rear of WR-02 chassis cars will exhibit understeer.

• Like 5

I’m not on FB so thanks for sharing. G601TR with hub reduction axles and quad tracks will be cool, this is great news. 

I'm picturing a half-track G601 with crawler tires in the front and long tracks in the back... or a Comical Grasshopper with tracks in the back and skis in the front, for winter fun...

• Like 2

There will be a few bearings in the kit. The wheels will have 850 brass bushings. Traxxas also have bushings on their trax. They are easier to maintain.. 

They will not be cheap but looking at them first hand they are pretty special. Also Tamiya includes both tracks. You need to purchase grouser tracks separately for the traxxas ones.

The cost for two pair is approximately 80% of a whole Landfreeder Quad kit according to Mokei Kagaku.  A CC02 on tracks would be pretty neat but that's a massive investment.  Maybe just make some soft and grippy tyres, Tamiya?

Never thought about it till now but I now feel the need to put my Volvo a60 on tracks :lol:. Not thrilled about the cost but maybe I can justify it by buying two landfreeders instead and putting them on regular wheels and giving them to the kids or something. 

It will be interesting to see how these size up with the Traxxas track set, as they are cheaper than the Tamiya set if the rumors are true. The Tamiya tracks might be a more universal fit though, as I'm not 100% sure if the Traxxas set is only compatible with the TRX-4

Hmmmmmmmm………..

Have to wonder how well those GF-01TR units would fit my MF-01now that I have the above portals on it……..could make things interesting in the winter if the weather’s not too bad out!

10 hours ago, markbt73 said:

I'm picturing a half-track G601 with crawler tires in the front and long tracks in the back...

You'd need to convert the front end to freewheeling/undriven though, as tracks run a lot slower
The Grasshopper version should be viable though, conversions have been available for a while for the 1/10 version; https://www.aliexpress.com/i/4001023690137.html

s-l1600.jpg

Combined rears on a G6-01 - I didn't think of that!!

I love my G6-01 and there's no way I'd rebuild it with tracks, but if I had unlimited funds I'd happy build another with tracks, just for the fun of it.  But unlimited funds - ay, there's the rub!  I'm slashing my RC budget, not increasing it, and all these future project ideas are really expensive.

I know there are other track options out there but reading some reviews, seems like they're pretty poor quality.  I haven't seen how Tamiya's option holds up to abuse yet - Tamiya have the manufacturing capability to make something very robust and reliable, but they also have four and a half decades of history of making great ideas with fatal flaws, so I'm waiting to see whether these actually work as intended or if they fall apart after two weeks.

This is so tempting for the G6-01 King Yellow, just to make it even more outrageous, but I think my wallet recommends sanity.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

Combined rears on a G6-01 - I didn't think of that!!...

...I know there are other track options out there but reading some reviews, seems like they're pretty poor quality.  I haven't seen how Tamiya's option holds up to abuse yet - Tamiya have the manufacturing capability to make something very robust and reliable, but they also have four and a half decades of history of making great ideas with fatal flaws, so I'm waiting to see whether these actually work as intended or if they fall apart after two weeks.

What impressed me with the Tamiya ones is they're individual link plates and pins, not a rubber belt - hopefully, that alone will make them more durable, provided the friction doesn't let-up on the pins
Be interesting to see how much slack there needs to be in 'combined rears' to allow for suspension action

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TWINSET said:

You'd need to convert the front end to freewheeling/undriven though, as tracks run a lot slower

Good point, but an "AWD" compromise might still be possible;

Fitting the G6-01TR portal hubs up front would reduce the rpm of the front axles. Also, the lift provided by the portals, would allow for using somewhat smaller front tires, and that would bring the "front" speed closer to the "rear" speed. That's most likely not enough though, so fitting Tamiya Hop-Up 53200 (oneway) in the front diff would make the front tires "roll" unpowered as long as the tracks have enough traction. As soon as the tracks don't have traction, the front axle would assist (although not in reverse). 53200 is of course a direct fit in the diffs of the G6-01 and all other chassises using the same diff design.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Blista said:

The cost for two pair is approximately 80% of a whole Landfreeder Quad kit according to Mokei Kagaku.  

8 hours ago, Bash said:

It will be interesting to see how these size up with the Traxxas track set, as they are cheaper than the Tamiya set if the rumors are true.

As you surely know, prices vary widely in different countries and even the ratio between the prices of two different Tamiya items are often quite different from country to country. However, Dickie-Tamiya (unfortunately) is the distributor for multiple countries in continental Europe and I have compared Dickie-Tamiya's suggested retail prices for the Landfreeder Quadtrack and the 54948 Track Set. 

The suggested retail price for one track set is 40% of the complete Quadtrack kit, which is the reason why I originally stated that two sets will cost approximately 80% of a complete Quadtrack kit. This may be different in countries with a different distributor, but I can hardly imagine that the suggesed retail price "window" will be larger than 70-85% (vs. to the mentioned 80%) in any country.

The Quadtrack kit has the suggested retail price of EUR350.00 and the cheapest continental Europe source I know about, offers the kit for EUR280.00. The Track Set has the suggested retail price of EUR139.99, so I reckon the cheapest sources will eventually offer it for about EUR110.00. 

I never expected the track set to be cheap as the parts for the "G6-01TR/GF-01TR portal hubs are very expensive compared to a full G6-01TR / GF-01TR kit.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

Good point, but an "AWD" compromise might still be possible;

Fitting the G6-01TR portal hubs up front would reduce the rpm of the front axles. Also, the lift provided by the portals, would allow for using somewhat smaller front tires, and that would bring the "front" speed closer to the "rear" speed. That's most likely not enough though, so fitting Tamiya Hop-Up 53200 (oneway) in the front diff would make the front tires "roll" unpowered as long as the tracks have enough traction. As soon as the tracks don't have traction, the front axle would assist (although not in reverse). 53200 is of course a direct fit in the diffs of the G6-01 and all other chassises using the same diff design.

Dam, that's gonna be a lot of maths for someone :lol:
Forgot about one-ways, that could work

• Haha 1

Glad these tracks consist of links and pins, not just a rubber belt.  I've used the rubber belt tracks (like the ones shown the Grasshopper above), and the friction is a bit much for the drivetrain.  Next logical step is some 1/10 snow chains for certain truck/scaler tires.

• Like 1

I will start my landfreeder quadtrack build this week and im going against tamiyas advice and installing a standard 540 silver can motor but ill have the option of reducing throttle on the controller to see how they cope! I shall update the showroom entry, plus I bought a full 92 ball bearing kit which tamiya recommends if running in dirt, snow etc so i can also keep reporting on how the various ball bearings hold up over time.

I have set aside £300 for hopefully the time when tamiya announce a G6-01TR-6T ! that would be a dream build for the amount of parts and bearings with portals and tracks!

Tamiya does not recommend the 92 piece Bearing set. Only the std TT02 drive train set. The 850 bearings will need cleaning every time you get them dirty. 

• Like 1

your right, it does state "drive train" for ball bearings and not to use any other motor for my safety!

What do they know! I wont be driving on sand, so I want to see if they cope with standard speed and how long they hold up....any that fail will be swapped out for bronze bushings that are in the kit.....

1150 ball bearings take a huge amount of abuse to a large degree without cleaning, understandably these 850 sized ones wont be as tough... we shall see

Edited by taffer
spelling error
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, speedy_w_beans said:

Next logical step is some 1/10 snow chains for certain truck/scaler tires.

I’ve hand made tire chains before by banding links out of wire. 
It’s a lot of work, though 

6 hours ago, taffer said:

your right, it does state "drive train" for ball bearings and not to use any other motor for my safety!

What do they know! I wont be driving on sand, so I want to see if they cope with standard speed and how long they hold up....any that fail will be swapped out for bronze bushings that are in the kit.....

1150 ball bearings take a huge amount of abuse to a large degree without cleaning, understandably these 850 sized ones wont be as tough... we shall see

I was tempted to fit rubber sealed ones in my tracks. I have loads of those bearings knocking around. The problem is they are not very durable, they were always a pain to maintain when I race in the rain as they would seize up pretty easy.  I will be running it on sand on the beach so I decided that I would not like to service that many bearings every time it take it out. If it was mainly dirt and grass I would have mounted them.  As an aside the brass bushings are actually very smooth and feel pretty free. 

I'm looking forward to your speed runs with them installed :) This is a great kit, good value in my opinion for such a cool truck etc. 

• Like 1

So far so good with full ball bearings in my quadtrack, not used it since November because I'm moving home and packing up.

The only issue running was that the standard 540 motor gets hot after 10 mins of full running, need more tweaking and testing.

Received a few track kits for a potential g6-01tr 6 track build in the future

I’ve seen the kit is for sale on RCMart at the moment and I keep hovering over the “buy” button. But should probably wait for the new GF01 kit. Should… ;)