KEV THE REV

Kyosho Sideways build

It's been a long time since I built my Ultima and put together an Ultima Outlaw , which got me thinking about another Kyosho Ultima based car . I always fancied a Sideways and I had some spares already so the plan was hatched . The chassis wasn't much of a concern but finding the body set and other parts specific to 'Sideways' was a lot harder than I thought it would be . I reached out to some members that might be able to help and to the rescue came Christian ( member Dante77 ) who had also helped me some years back with my Ultima buggy build - A big thanks to you my friend and to all members who replied to my wanteds and messages regarding this project .

The build started out with an old chassis frame and some parts I got from donor Outrages and a Sandmaster that I bought . I sourced some new parts - both vintage and re-re Ultima which have some improvements over the old parts - mostly the rear drive washers replaced with more positive hex design .

The build starts with the cleaning up and build the front end with the use of a re-re bulkhead,  adjustable tie rods / ends and the rest are vintage parts .

front beam .JPG

• Like 3

Next came the build of the gearbox . I found a vintage gear case and n.o.s. gears etc so that got built up too with modern ballraces . The vintage motor plate was cleaned and polished

motor plate gearbox.JPG

• Like 1

The chassis frame took some restoring and polishing and then the front and rear end with cleaned up rear arms were bolted on along with the rear damper mount and the radio deck . I used re-re rear outer drive shafts and bolt on drive hex's for a better fit than the old coned press fit washers ( the deck is broken at the switch part )  . The rear roll cage frame support was restored and bolted on at this stage .

stage 1 build 2.JPG

sideways deck on .JPG

• Like 1

Next came the original front dampers and MSC servo . I went for the MSC as this was not going to be driven hard,  if at all , as the body work/ fittings and roll bars are extremely rare

front dampers on .JPG

• Like 1

Next up was the roll bar rear hoop ,Le-mans 05 stock motor , rotary MSC, resistors etc and OG rear dampers . I used a new OG resistor and loom fitting . I also sourced a re-re stabilizer set

new resistor cable .JPG

• Like 2

I turned my attention to the body and driver . I liked the retro feel of the 2 tone paint job , so I kept it as is . A bit of tidying up and a paint job of the driver was all it needed before stickers went on . I had no drivers head so a new pedeller was need - stay tuned !!

driver yellow gloves 2 .JPG

• Like 1

Next came the roof wing . Again this was 2 tone but I want a more plain looking main panel for sponsor decals , so this was repainted

Sideways.jpg from Christian.jpg 2.jpg

roof wing painted.JPG

• Like 1

Next up was the body shell stickers . These awesome repro's came from Myles (member Tamiyoman) - cheers mate !! I used a mix of Kyosho scheme and other sponsor stickers and created an air intake grill at the front

** The body cannot be removed from the chassis with drivers head fitted without unbolting the roll bars , so I swapped out the roof mount plate screws for bolts to ease the removal process .

body test fit 2.JPG

body test fit .JPG

• Like 3

Next up was the wheels . I had bought some nip front wheels from Myles , but due to age of the white plastic they had turned yellow . I researched about Peroxide and then set about bleaching them along with the rear wheels which were lightly restored .

peroxide front wheels spares .JPG

wheels peroxided .JPG

• Like 3

Next came to fill the drivers seat . Who could possibly be so bold or Wild enough as to want to drive a Sideways ? - only one man has the mouse to do it . Meet Wild Willy , he needs no introduction really - does he . Thanks to Steve for the WW head . 1/6th Goggles from eBay

willy in car.JPG

willy in car 3.JPG

• Like 2

Lastly , on go the wheels and tyres . The tyres have been bathed in glycerin for a number of weeks . .

So here is Willys new ride :-

P7260002.JPG

P7260004.JPG

P7260005.JPG

• Like 6

Lovely car, and looks almost new.

I was wondering where the inspiration from this had come from.

• Thanks 1

Even though its a Kyosho it looks great👍 we'll done mate must be chuffed! 

• Thanks 1

Glad to see this build thread! Love the two tone paintwork and the WW head really suits it.

• Thanks 1

Those dampers look totally different to the regular Ultima. Do they have a removable top cap with a bladder arrangement like the CVA shocks?

Slide it Sideways Willy!!

What great fun car, nice job 👍🏻 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Those dampers look totally different to the regular Ultima. Do they have a removable top cap with a bladder arrangement like the CVA shocks?

Yes they do . These are more the truck style of Kyosho damper as on the Outlaw etc , just with a different preload collar and spring adjustment  moulding on the damper body . These are the original dampers for the Sideways 

• Thanks 1

Hi Kev,

wow, that turned out fantastic! Especially with Willy on the wheel. He's a perfect fit! :D

Maybe some tyre lettering as the icing on the cake?

Glad I could help with the procject. Should motivate me to get some things done to some of my projects.

Let me know if you need anything else!

• Thanks 1