burakol

What to bring to the beach?

Which RC to bring for a beach run?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 hours ago, burakol said:

Thanks for all the replies! In the end i asked my son which among the GF or Dynahead… He picked the GF… 

Smart young man!    :lol:

On 7/29/2021 at 11:36 PM, nowinaminute said:

Better still, if you have an area of dunes at your local beach, I find the totally dry sand needs no clean up at all really apart from tipping it out at the end of the day. Most of it just falls off easily and it doesn't lead to rust like wetter sand will.

Even better - if you run in the soft dry sand after bashing in the damp sand, the dry sand will blast all the wet sand off :) 

The same applies for your feet, which will get toasty and dry as you wander through the dunes.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

Even better - if you run in the soft dry sand after bashing in the damp sand, the dry sand will blast all the wet sand off :) 

The same applies for your feet, which will get toasty and dry as you wander through the dunes.

An old Surfer trick is baby powder to get sand off. I don’t think the Bushy D would like that after jaunt in the waves though…

5 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

This thread is incomplete without pictures!

Take a snorkel……for when the batteries are flat….

3D4419EF-B351-42DA-B2C3-5937D5BE3A21.jpg

8 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

An old Surfer trick is baby powder to get sand off. I don’t think the Bushy D would like that after jaunt in the waves though…

and is softer on those sensitive surfer feet, too :) 

3 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Take a snorkel……for when the batteries are flat….

3D4419EF-B351-42DA-B2C3-5937D5BE3A21.jpg

What a gob-smackingly beautiful beach. It's almost worth being stung by the jellyfish on the way in, losing a few body parts to the salties while swimming, and then getting attacked by the drop bears when you make it back to dry land. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The first beach we went to was Clearwater Beach in Florida. We decided to cut our stay short here due to concerns with the sudden surge of infection. With 3 unvaccinated kids and a 2 month old baby, we better play it safe. Unfortunately, I was not able to run the FJ40. 
jKMRCPe.jpg

Then we decided to access a rather more private beach with less crowd so we went to Jekyll Island in Georgia. This time, I made sure to run the FJ40. With less crowd, I let it purr!!! Until…

Q5Lcm4J.jpg

good thing i was able to recover all the parts…

And heres a short run video… sorry for the quality, it was my 7yo daughter taking it.

xDlPtG2.mp4

Will try again tommorow with some jumps after i fix the shocks…

• Like 2

On 8/3/2021 at 11:39 AM, Gruntfuggly said:

Yeah, beats my beach by a long way!

image.png.9efc48434214401bbd86fa0251502a83.png

Brighton right?

I was there yesterday with 3 of my daughters, shopping, pier and beach.

And 3 weeks before that for my wedding anniversary 😊

6 hours ago, burakol said:

The first beach we went to was Clearwater Beach in Florida. We decided to cut our stay short here due to concerns with the sudden surge of infection. With 3 unvaccinated kids and a 2 month old baby, we better play it safe. Unfortunately, I was not able to run the FJ40. 
jKMRCPe.jpg

Then we decided to access a rather more private beach with less crowd so we went to Jekyll Island in Georgia. This time, I made sure to run the FJ40. With less crowd, I let it purr!!! Until…

Q5Lcm4J.jpg

good thing i was able to recover all the parts…

And heres a short run video… sorry for the quality, it was my 7yo daughter taking it.

xDlPtG2.mp4

Will try again tommorow with some jumps after i fix the shocks…

I do like these, we had one for a short while but I couldn’t get on with it.

Every time we used it a front shock would come off the ball cup and the Toyo would also spend most of its time going end over end, which my kids loved but it got tiresome having to put it back on its wheels all the time. 

Probably both easy to sort out but I couldn’t be bothered at the time, I was enjoying other models more.

Very tempting to have another though, as it is so well thought of on TC 😂

7 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

I do like these, we had one for a short while but I couldn’t get on with it.

Every time we used it a front shock would come off the ball cup and the Toyo would also spend most of its time going end over end, which my kids loved but it got tiresome having to put it back on its wheels all the time. 

Probably both easy to sort out but I couldn’t be bothered at the time, I was enjoying other models more.

Very tempting to have another though, as it is so well thought of on TC 😂

If you widen the suspension arms it will surely help with side roll... as for the forward and backward rolls, you can play with the epa or the DR, or even the punch power for both throttle and brake on your radio gear if available... after widening the stance, the GF is more predictable now.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Brighton right?

I was there yesterday with 3 of my daughters, shopping, pier and beach.

And 3 weeks before that for my wedding anniversary 😊

Yep, lovely in the sun (when it's not too crowded) but rubbish for RC. :P

Another ouch moment... after some good runs on the sand dune and finally finding a good spot for some jumps... 

The finale is this... my 3d printed wide arms broke after an awkward jump and hitting hitting a stray log on the dunes...my luck... 

20210805_155311.jpg

Going to the beach myself for vacations this year, I had a look at this thread... 

Allowance for the kids was one box each. I got myself one. Ultimately the 3 lunchbox, Hornet, Superstorm Dragon and my daughter's DT-03 will go to the beach. I got some spare as well, WD40, lubricant and liquid electrical tape in my stuff to clean the cars after beach runs... All the cars have lights as there is chance night is the only time we can run on the beach without disturbing anyone... We will see...

• Like 1

I bring my Blitzer Beetle to the beach.  With Proline Sand Paws in the back and the stock tires up front, lipo, and a 7.5t brushless motor it's an absolute blast!

51364901211_214a24f668_h.jpgUntitled by Joe, on Flickr

• Like 4

Let’s be honest if you can find the right sand anything is fun on the beach. I used to run my Celicia on the beach. On hard packed damp sand it was a blast!!!!

6ZolcJZ.jpg 

40 mins of run and fun on the beach this morning... And there was room for more in the batteries (not even at storage mode at the end of the run (4000mAh)). Hornet is as good as the Lunchbox for this, but more cleaning required at the end of the run... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, silvertriple said:

6ZolcJZ.jpg 

40 mins of run and fun on the beach this morning... And there was room for more in the batteries (not even at storage mode at the end of the run (4000mAh)). Hornet is as good as the Lunchbox for this, but more cleaning required at the end of the run... 

I can only imagine how much sand get up in the battery door of the Hornet . 
I also wonder I’d Hopper tires would perform better on sand than the Hornet spikes ? 
Oh yeah, I also run my Hornet on a 4000mAh lipo and get a similar run time as you experienced. 

2 hours ago, Dakratfink said:

I can only imagine how much sand get up in the battery door of the Hornet . 
I also wonder I’d Hopper tires would perform better on sand than the Hornet spikes ? 
Oh yeah, I also run my Hornet on a 4000mAh lipo and get a similar run time as you experienced. 

Less than what I thought, actually... Hopper tires would probably run the same: I did not noticed much difference when running the lunchbox. Only thing is to pay attention to start slow and have the car already moving when applying full throttle... 

I took my TT01 (original) Rally modded to the beach. It was great fun until I accidently drove it into a puddle and killed the electronics. Luckily it was on the old AM RX and original Tamiya 101 ESC.

After it died, I took the Lunchbox out instead.

IMG_20210725_141523.thumb.jpg.54dad19ae06e2bdcc1a1866aed1c3483.jpg

My friend said he felt sorry for my toys. :rolleyes:

7JgCrAF.jpg

On the beach, I believe a Lunchbox with a big brushless motor would be perfect (the 540.silver can is definitely undersized)...

• Like 2

The current state of my GF FJ40...

Forgot to take more pics, but it was a total strip down...

I even cleaned the motor itself... no sand got into the gear case luckily but the drive cups and wheel bearings are full of fine sand... 

20210812_143203.thumb.jpg.eb73df2fe7c33051c1dca49d9a854230.jpg20210812_143201.thumb.jpg.1cc0dceffff4fb4edac3530e0a7dcadd.jpg