gizard

Trailer for 12" boat to be used with CR-01 but also others

Try as I might I cannot find a reasonably priced basic trailer so my two boys can tow their 12" jet boats to the water behind CR-01s or any other RC cars from my fleet. 

Most trailers seem to be a ludicrous price at £100 plus. so i was wondering whether to fabricate something with some bits of aluminium and spare Tamiya wheels and tyres (front axles from 2wd models?) that i have kicking about - any suggestions?

RC4WD sells a Big Dog trailer. Lots of pictures -you can steal some ideas…

This is a trailer I made thinking about making a tipper, but ran out of enthusiasm half way through. It might give you some ideas. It has walking beam rear suspension, and adjustable height tow bar, the wheels are custom alloy items with a separate hub containing 16x8 skateboard bearings, the wheels can be unbolted from the hubs. The chassis is B&Q steel box that I had a friend TIG weld together. Same for the crash bar at the rear, the tow bar at the rear is bolted on so the height can be adjusted, just in case you want to tow another trailer behind it. The main chassis without the tow bar is just over 21" long, and the overall width with the double wheels is 300mm (same as my War Rig)

SAM_3262.jpg

How I connected walking beams to chassis.

SAM_3263.jpg

Adjustable height tow bar. the bolt poking up just needs to be turned to adjust the angle of the tow bar with respect to the chassis.

Rear end with holes drilled for rear lights, brake lights, and indicators. Also has an adjustable height tow bar with 4 mounting heights.

SAM_3267.jpg

Custom wheel hubs that the wheels bolt to.

SAM_2458.jpg

I also used an automotive ball joint for the tow bar connector as it gives very good articulation of the joint.

This would be a bit big for a CR-01, would be more suited to a Clod or TXT-1, but the ideas can be scaled down.

• Like 1

Hmm thanks all for the ideas, I think I will take a trip to the LHS and see what parts on the shelf I can muster  - they usually have huge amounts of wheels tires - can't decide whether or not to go single or twin axle - as i might make the trailer capable of carrying not only the 12" boat but with adjustment something like the XV-01 or TT-02 types......

I've had a trailer project on the back-burner for an age.  My first car trailer was made from ABS box section glued together and it survived several years on the shelf, but wasn't really strong enough for practical use (I ran it a couple of times).  These days I do lots more with aluminium, so my next project will use an aluminium L-section frame bolted together.  Off the top of my head, I'd think a 10x15mm L-section would work for the outer frame (for a car trailer plan).  The axles are always a tricky prospect if you can't machine your own stubs, but 2WD buggy stubs or even the uprights from a touring car will work if you fabricate something to fix them to.

There's a better variety of wheels and tyres available if you use hexes instead of bearing stubs.  M-chassis wheels (VW Beetle wheels in particular) are about right for a road trailer and if you cut off the inner bead and narrow the tyres they're even better.