Mokei Kagaku

The Saint Dragon is back, but with a twist

6 hours ago, Saito2 said:

Well spotted! Not sure if I like that. The original CVAs were a better design IMO. Any chance of some new boxart Tamiya? Please...

There wasn't much outcry when they did it to the monster beetle.....a cost saving?

A photo box is likely

8 hours ago, kiasukid said:

It’s been mentioned elsewhere on this site but the Saint Dragon body apparently fits the DF-01 Manta Ray chassis. I’d like to get the body for that reason.

That's correct. Both the Mad Cap body and Saint Dragon body are direct fits on the DF-01 (with bathtub chassis). The rear body post is fitted on both sides of the tub to fit the Mad Cap body, whereas the Saint Dragon body uses the original single body post in the original position. In my humble opinion, the Saint Dragon body looks better on the DF-01 than on the TS chassis. The higher front damper mount and longer dampers may look a bit more dominant, but if looks are more important than function, using TA01 front damper mount and Mini-size dampers is an option. I'll try to post a few pics later.

I think it looks great, I've even cancelled thunder dragon and pre ordered this instead!

Although I'm biased because I love this chassis and dislike df-01 and madcap chassis

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

That's correct. Both the Mad Cap body and Saint Dragon body are direct fits on the DF-01 (with bathtub chassis). The rear body post is fitted on both sides of the tub to fit the Mad Cap body, whereas the Saint Dragon body uses the original single body post in the original position...

Well I never knew that! I'll have a go a fitting my madcap shell to my df01 later but will need to look at those 2 rear body mounts. Cheers 🍻 

I did manage to get a hotshot shell to fit on my madcap chassis once upon a time, including roll cage...and yes, that is a generous interpretation of the word 'fit'  😁.

16 hours ago, taffer said:

There wasn't much outcry when they did it to the monster beetle.....a cost saving?

A photo box is likely

True, there wasn't. The originals seem to have more material around the top mounting eyelet on the cap. The originals (short and long variants) also had rod guides along with o-rings in the lower cap. My guess was the CVA2s were about cost savings as I don't see any real improvements over the originals (especially those darn fixed head piston versions).

Aaargggh yes, cva2's have other variations....

If they put fixed head pistons and black o rings in for the shocks then there will be more purchases to do with red o rings and piston trees.....

Hopefuly this kit will be available in my local stores, cant find previous dragons. I miss the terra scorcher, so any of its family chassis will do. Lost hope with TD.

For my money i think cva2 is a better move. They take ball connectors on the ends to improve the performance, and the long eyelet rear cva2 mounted in the top, narrow original shock mount position is the best rear suspension configuration. Yes, you need red orings, but the fixed pistons aren't the end of the world if you have oil weight options. 

You caught me - sorry for spreading fake news. My Super Astute came without motor/esc - though it WAS shrink wrapped.

On 7/30/2021 at 7:27 AM, Blista said:

I saw the title of this thread and thought the twist would be that Tamiya were going to release it on the Super Astute chassis.

Now THAT would be intriguing!

I wonder if a Madcap re-release would appear on the Super Astute chassis...

As for the topic at hand: this certainly seems like a different way to re-release an old model. It looks good, though, and still keeps things within its lineage (Thunder Shot/Fire Dragon-based chassis and all that).

I suppose this re-release has more in common with the new white Porsche 934 Turbo re-release than I think! (same shell in a new colour and a different chassis from the original)

:P

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grastens said:

Now THAT would be intriguing!

I wonder if a Madcap re-release would appear on the Super Astute chassis...

I had been hoping they'd re-release at least a couple of Astute chassis cars.  Even a regular Astute body surely would've been a no-brainer.

12 hours ago, Blista said:

I had been hoping they'd re-release at least a couple of Astute chassis cars.  Even a regular Astute body surely would've been a no-brainer.

The super astute appears to still be in production so I don't really see that happening.  Wish I could figure out what the hold up is for rere the king cab.  I mean they'd sell every single kit they made. 

35 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

The super astute appears to still be in production so I don't really see that happening.  Wish I could figure out what the hold up is for rere the king cab.  I mean they'd sell every single kit they made. 

The blowmolded body of the original King Cab might be an obstacle. I don't consider it likely that Tamiya will take up blowmolding of bodies again. Saying it wasn't a big success is a "slight" understatement. 

It's of course not feasible to use moulds for blowmolding to vacuum form bodies. Tamiya can of course always make new moulds, so it's not an obstacle that can't be overcome. The question is however if Tamiya considers that financially viable.

13 minutes ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

The blowmolded body of the original King Cab might be an obstacle. I don't consider it likely that Tamiya will take up blowmolding of bodies again. Saying it wasn't a big success is a "slight" understatement. 

It's of course not feasible to use moulds for blowmolding to vacuum form bodies. Tamiya can of course always make new moulds, so it's not an obstacle that can't be overcome. The question is however if Tamiya considers that financially viable.

I wonder if they'd consider making the body out of resin like the Blackfoot?  I mean they put the saint dragon on the wrong chassis, anything can happen right?   

9 hours ago, A-Baum said:

I don't know if some parts are still in production but from what I understand the Super Astute kit was a limited run back in 2018.

I've given up trying to figure out what Tamiya are doing.  There's been nothing to suggest they even remember the King Cab exists, so either it'll be announced out of the blue one day or it simply won't happen.  :unsure:

20 hours ago, A-Baum said:

I haven't seen a Super Astute available for a while - are they still going?

I don't think the Super Astute is a great chassis for more rereleases because of the cost. The Madcap was a budget version, it should be a cheap rere. If they can price the rere's right then they will sell heaps, as from about 1990 on the performance is very similar to a new car for backyard bashing and we all know how nostaligia sells

2 hours ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

I haven't seen a Super Astute available for a while - are they still going?

I don't think the Super Astute is a great chassis for more rereleases because of the cost. The Madcap was a budget version, it should be a cheap rere. If they can price the rere's right then they will sell heaps, as from about 1990 on the performance is very similar to a new car for backyard bashing and we all know how nostaligia sells

I've seen the SA in stock at a few places so I just assume they are getting some new stock. Maybe a naïve assumption but for a while it was completely unavailable but now some places have it.  Maybe they were on the Evergreen container ship lol

• Like 1

Hint of box art pic for saint dragon 4wd?

Plus king yellow on tracks!! 

IMG_20210903_114807.jpg

• Like 2

My LHS have the Saint Dragon listed as #47459A.  

I heard with the Blockhead Motors Wild One  that the A at the end of the model number means a Hobbywing 1060 2s/3s brushed ESC is included , rather than a Tamiya esc.  

9 hours ago, Mirrorman said:

My LHS have the Saint Dragon listed as #47459A.  

I heard with the Blockhead Motors Wild One  that the A at the end of the model number means a Hobbywing 1060 2s/3s brushed ESC is included , rather than a Tamiya esc.  

The A versions of the kits are priced lower than the regular versions, so I reckon some cost is saved by supplying them with the Hobbywing ESC instead of Tamiya ESC.  Quite many recent releases  are/will be available in A versions. 

• Like 1

I'm a big fan of the Madcap, but not so much the Saint Dragon. Combined with this chassis, I just have no idea what Tamiya were thinking, just an easy combo for them to generate sales I assume:wacko:

8 hours ago, Mokei Kagaku said:

The A versions of the kits are priced lower than the regular versions, so I reckon some cost is saved by supplying them with the Hobbywing ESC instead of Tamiya ESC.  Quite many recent releases  are/will be available in A versions. 

I'm not too worried if it's a Tamiya esc or a Hobbywing - lesser price is fine I think.   I think the Hobbywing supplied in the Blockhead Wild One kit  looks to have different marking to the regular HW 1060 , so possibly QC by Tamiya. 

Looks like it reads as THW 1060 RTR 

WOHWCapture.JPG

WOCapture.JPG

I'm collecting and building all the Dragons and I have the Terra Scorcher. I think these buggies are fun to build and drive. Mine will sit most of the time but will get ran around the basement from time to time. The 4wd chassis does look better than the mad cap 2wd chassis. 

Cory