Goudar

Goudar bench's - Blitzer Beetle

I felt in love with this cool car, DT-01 Rx Memorial. I found his body pretty cool with those nice decals. And I need to find a chill daily runner. That why now she's mine, lurking in my secret stash, waiting to be build propely.

During my research for good stuff, that will fit nicely those lady. I found  a great video from a japanese rc guy (RC TEAM CHONMAGE) with a well ordered list for all hop-ups. Just what Im looking for, few bits and bobs here and there. Not a huge budget needed. Good.

For the body I find the black too dull. I would like to try something more agressive, more punchy. That will melt with the gold/red/silver tones. At first I pick an orange metallic to play around with those curves, then I found a nice paint job done with some candy paint. Perfect. Someone here painted a pretty nice Buggy Champ (?) with candy red stripe over white.

Bought two cans of orange clear to play with the paint depths.

The plan is Primer white > White pearl > Candy Orange with some sandy between each pass. I know the result seems better with metallic silver backing. But I would like try, if you got any advises.

Here the list for all hop-ups :

- Servo Saver high torque (50473)

- Ball bearing kit

- Turnbuckle HD 75mm (TLR234038)

- 3 x 22mm Low Friction Suspension Shaft (54395)

- Titanium 3x29mm Punisher Turnbuckle (LNS1329)

- Steel 4.8mm Ball Stud

- 4.8mm Ball End Cap

- Tamya Sport motor Tuned

- Ø5.5mm Alu. Spacer Set (53539)

- Pearl white TS45

- 2* Clear orange TS73

- nice last minute surprise...

One more time thanks for all the great job done by Team Chonmage. :) Original post.

Now enought talk, let's get some camera actions and hit that bench ?!

photo_2021-07-30_23-43-41.jpgrx_mem.thumb.jpg.df4379a0eb7ccf2e07f4583017cb80c3.jpg

• Like 3

Here some shots for the first stages.

photo_2021-07-30_23-43-49.jpg

photo_2021-07-30_23-43-58.jpg

photo_2021-07-30_23-44-02.jpg

photo_2021-07-30_23-44-06.jpg

If you got any question, let me know.

Used some shrink wrap to minimise slop on front arms. Low friction suspension shaft used for left and right upright fits well, I choose one 1,5mm spacer for the bottom, 2,5mm for the top.

I really enjoy this kit, everything goes well. And its pretty simple, great chilling Tamiya kit.

• Like 3

Nothing fancy here, gearbox completed, sealed with some grease. Swap for Sport Tuned Motor, I got one laying around in my shelf.

photo_2021-07-30_23-44-16.jpg

photo_2021-07-30_23-44-19.jpg

Today eletronic jobs. Soldered an XT90 for the ESC and lipo. Fitted all electronics inside the chassis.

Body prept, filled and sanded (#240> #400 wet > #1000 wet).

photo_2021-07-30_23-44-23.jpg

photo_2021-07-30_23-44-30.jpg

photo_2021-07-30_23-44-27.jpg

• Like 1

Looking forward to seeing the finished paint on this. The translucent orange over pearl white sounds great.

• Like 1

Paint work scheduled for next week, hope for the best. I don't know if I trim decals to remove some black on side decals or not.

We will see when paint job is done.

Last update, for the CHONMAGE build he choose some Kyosho dampers but they're way overpriced for me. So I find those nice Hight Cap dampers for a sweet price. They fits perfectly and seems pretty smooths, can't wait give it a run.

I just drilled top post with a 3.8mm drill bit, then used machined screw with a locknut. Front and rear. Throw Tamiya o-ring on the lower front arm to minimise the slop.

Modded servo linkage, but the tie rod is a bit too long, I will trim down a bit to get the right lenght (later).

Weather is a bit too humid for my paint work, waiting for a good spot...

photo_2021-08-09_13-36-10.jpg

photo_2021-08-09_13-36-17.jpg

photo_2021-08-09_13-36-25.jpg

photo_2021-08-09_13-36-28.jpg

photo_2021-08-09_13-36-46.jpg

• Like 2

I finaly got some time for my paint job and a good weather spot. So here we go.

Result after the 'first coat' (one full can of t45)

IMG_20210812_155123.jpg

Result after five coats of ts73

IMG_20210812_160523.jpg

Final result after two full cans (ignore my greacy finger prints).

IMG_20210826_180212.jpg

Under the sunlight we can see some sparklings from pearl white. I will take some better shots after I put all stickers.

I learned two things during this session, take your time (god ****??!!) and spray some even very light coats. Don' try to goes full throttle and spray some heavy dirty coats... For my first attempt its not that bad.

Next stop, stickers.

• Like 3

Oh and I almost forgot my proud driver, now ready to take a nape in his canopy.

photo_2021-08-09_13-35-24.jpg

• Like 4

That drivers great! looks like he got a lot of detail in the paintwork… and a big nose :lol: 

Seriously though, I’ve been watching team chonmage since I found the channel whilst surfing & they do some funny but cool stuff. Nice mix. 

I have a liking for the DT01 & had a Mad Fighter (kinda wish I kept it tbh) still got a fighter buggy RX. 

looking forward to seeing how this pans out :D

• Thanks 1

@J@mes haha yes he got a really big nose from that point of view :D I need to source some cool decals to put on my next driver.

Team CHONMAGE find some cool stuff to work on (has the Grasshopper X Ghost in the Shell). They find the sweet spot between fun stuff and cars improvment, there is a lot of stuff on their website.

I love their work/attitude, great team.

@Kol__ yep I'm trying to find a good opportunity to take some shots. 'Cause the paint under sunlights pop far more, with translucent orange and pearl white behind.

It's my first real RC project since I came back in the hobby, I would like to finish my project properly with nice pictures. And I find a lovely vintage Bear Hawk during my holidays, can't wait to start. :wub:

• Like 2

Final update for this project :

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm quite pleased with the result, thats barely what I'm thinking about. If you zoom in, you can see sparklings from white pearl shinning trough the orange translucent paint. Got some small painted aeras to redo with a brush.

I was really tempted to trim down black parts on decals, but at the end I think it was not that bad with those black stripes.

That was a pretty nice kit to build, now lets give him his first run ?! And start working on my new project ! :wub:

• Like 7

Awesome mate. I do like a bit of orange and when mixed with black (much like yellow and black) it looks great and proper mean. Bung in the gold and it's just class mate, top job!! I wouldn't have trimmed the black either, a really well balanced colour scheme on this one.

Err... And the next build is?...:)

• Thanks 1

Ahah thanks mutch appreciated.

This :

spacer.png

Found during my holiday trip for a pretty sweet price. Got everything I need, paints and parts. Ready to lift-off.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Goudar said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Amazing colours. Tamiya should have done this. Orange, black and gold what is there not to like👍👍👍👍

• Thanks 1

Great work on the RX. Love the sparkling orange. 👍

And a great choice for your next build. I still hope the Bear Hawk will be re-released some day.

• Thanks 1

Yep definitly thats a pretty unique Tamiya shell design.

I found an original decal set, I'm not sure if I will jump on it. The price is pretty fair.

During my summer holidays I find this nice lady laying in an attic for a sweet price. I felt in love with his body, pretty unique in Tamyia line-up with his sweet roll cage. Decals are great, its my first attempt with a vintage RC car. But she definitly need some love and a good clean-up.

She is in pretty good state, few scratchs here and there, but nothing seems broken or cracked. Hard body in good condition. I need to redo paint job and stickering. Source somes tires... She comes nearly ready to run, vintage controler, servo and mechanic speed controller.

I ordered a bunch of parts, cause for me its a part of the process, I really like taking a journey to find some hop-ups/tricks, improving properties and stick in relative rational budget. Gathered informations from TC (principal source) and internet. I searched some tires/rims, but with out any sucess, it was the hardest part of the job.

My dear  Bear Hawk :wub:

Parts list :

• Tamiya TBLE-02s
  • Tamiya Sport tuned motor
  • Kanzen ball bearing kit
  • 5.5mm Aluminum spacer set
  • F103 Carbon reinforced front upright
  • DT02- Turnbuckle set
  • M-05 Stainless steel suspension shaft set
  • TL-01 Stainless steel suspension shaft set
  • Hi-Torque servo saver
  • Manta wheels
  • 2WD Offroad dishwheels (front)
  • Wide stud spike tires
  • 2WD front rib-spike tires
  • Tamiya Blue X-4
  • Tamiya Chrome silver  X-11
  • Tamiya Buggy driver set figure

4oSFqxf.jpg

I would like to take a shot with genuine dampers and see how she performe. But I may switch for oil shocks, I was thinking about red dampers to get the original look. But not successful.

Let's get ready to rumble ?!

• Like 1

Great to see this, what a nice collection of parts and mods right from the offset!B)

You're going to run the Super Astute front tyres and the Madcap rear tyres from the looks of it? Nice choices, and those fronts are such a difficult size to find tyre options for (on the my Madcap runner I went with the Grasshopper 2 front tyres) As you probably know, those original Bear Hawk tyres (same as the Madcap I'm pretty sure) are super rare and in as new condition they're going for £50 upwards these days.

Look forward to seeing this one develop, assume you are going to deviate from box art again?:)

@Kol__ yup Im going for Super Astute tires. I would like to try those tires, I really don't know how they perform and its the closest look. There is some Schumacher tires but it seems they are not perfectly feeting on Tamiya rims, I found this one :

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/jc-racing-products-rc10-classic-dished-white-4--1334995

But I don't know how they fit with some Schumacher tires. And I don't know what they mean about the "Only fits original 80's & early 90's tapered style axle". I'm abit scared.

For this one I going for box art this time. I don't want to divage too mutch and stay as close as possible to the original one.

A quick question, I would like to order some Robinson Racing pinions. The stock one seems to be a 15 tooth, is there any alternative ? 0.6 mod or 0.8 ? I choosed to install a Sport Tuned motor.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 8:24 AM, Goudar said:

@Kol__ 

A quick question, I would like to order some Robinson Racing pinions. The stock one seems to be a 15 tooth, is there any alternative ? 0.6 mod or 0.8 ? I choosed to install a Sport Tuned motor.

Hi mate. Yeah bearhawk has 18t option too (possibly 17t I don't quite recall) and is 0.8 mod. If you have a look in the manual it should tell you (or download one from interweb). I love my bearhawk and seems relatively tough considering the age of it. Enjoy yours 👍

• Thanks 1

@Silver-Can thanks for your answer. Yeah it seems you can use 15T or 17T with Bear Hawk.

During my research I found someone saying, despit he picked the smallest one (15T), the Sport Tuned motor runs pretty hot. A TC  forum user (can't remember his name) says, you can switch pinions from the gearbox to Blitzer Beetle pinions. This will change overall gear ratios and get the same result as if are you using a 13T pinion.

I may try with the stock one pinion and if it's running too hot, I will try with Blitzer pinions.