Misterp180

Kyosho Raider Rebuild

@Champ85 great advice my friend and thanks for taking the time to reply to the tread!

I have replaced all the pinions in my models so far with steel for the same reason you make above. I am going to make a gear box cleans a winter job ready for the racing season in the back yard. 

I had to take my DT-03 apart the other day as the pinion had come lose and due to other commitments it sat in pieces on the bench for 2 weeks before I got back to it. Rainy winter days and a cup of coffee sounds perfect for maintenance! 

• Like 1

Saturday night update! D131DB04-57D2-410D-8C6C-C60D45E2E9DD.thumb.jpeg.80f101d480cc9cffb17d1ac85ba10b12.jpeg

Chassis number two hit the table this evening. I got the front section off and started to doubt if I needed to strip this one all the way. I am glad I did as all of the missing parts from chassis one are here.

I am almost ready to start to reassemble after I spend the next few days cleaning all these plastic parts up and soaking some of the metal in WD40.

There was an original Le Mans 05 motor in this Raider but the wires have busted off and I am not yet able to repair (no soldering iron or skill!!)

No bearings at all in this chassis confirming my OG Raider just has metal bushings throughout. I have ball bearing going into the project build.

This week I had a set of new screws arrive to replace most of them in this build. While they are not titanium they are hex screws which is different!

I am off to finish my beer! Cleaning starts tomorrow!!

Can anyone explain why am I googling Hot Trick??? Anyone done this to their Raider?

4BA27FA2-3254-4C50-8E73-B11D0DFA4BC3.thumb.jpeg.9c24126fc2d2beca190b475388f8ebc5.jpeg

Soaked these parts in WD40 and they have come up great! I wish I had done this with some of the other metal parts now!

I have got everything together now and I am ready to start assembling the Raider.

FD16C435-8EEB-4777-B99D-D4B0ABB20C42.thumb.jpeg.8cb2ddeba156a3b8b700deea9e8675bf.jpeg

Everything is on the work table now and ready to start. I am going to follow step by step through the instructions with some steps already done as I have not removed the front and back arms. 
I still need some new wheels and tyres but I will pick those up later in the build. 

Wish me luck!

• Like 2

I looked at the A&L chassis for my Raider.  Too expensive for me…

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

I am thinking the same unless I can understand the benefits. I am watching one on eBay but for the price I could almost buy a new model! However, if it dramatically changes the Raider I might be up for it!

34 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

I would buy it if it came with the a rear trailing arm suspension. That would be cool.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RichieRich said:

I would buy it if it came with the a rear trailing arm suspension. That would be cool.

I decided a Sassy Chassis repro for my BF was a better waste of my money…

• Like 3

Part 2 with Chassis 2

This one was really nice. A little bit of grime in the gear box took some scrubbing but the rest of the chassis was in great condition.

I now have all the missing parts I needed. If I could find another set of motor plates and a pinion I could almost build 2 full Raiders now! I will be well covered in spare parts for the next few years I think.

The build has started and progress is going nicely. I should have given more thought how to record the build. I am still very much a novice YouTuber!! 

Hi everyone!

Raider build has been progressing and I am hoping to post some updates this weekend. I have hit a huge stumbling block and waiting on some parts.

However, I am looking for some advice for Raider build number 2!! I need a pinion but cannot navigate through the various options out there. 

https://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=198

I need to order a few more bearings (long story) but would any of these at RC Bearing be suitable for the Raider?

Cheers community

On 9/16/2021 at 9:46 PM, Misterp180 said:

Hi everyone!

Raider build has been progressing and I am hoping to post some updates this weekend. I have hit a huge stumbling block and waiting on some parts.

However, I am looking for some advice for Raider build number 2!! I need a pinion but cannot navigate through the various options out there. 

https://www.rcbearings.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=198

I need to order a few more bearings (long story) but would any of these at RC Bearing be suitable for the Raider?

Cheers community

Pinions are a tricky subject with Kyosho models, as they used different pitches in different models and there is often a lot of confusion as to what pitch each model is. I know that Kyosho Optima Mids used to use .6 module pitch pinions and spurs, but being a less race-suited model the Raider may have used a bigger pitch with bigger teeth, like 32dp. I actually have a second-hand Raider that I bought a while back but I don't currently have it to hand to check.

What I can tell you is that replacement pinions can be found on eBay in the original 14t (part no OT-51), 15t (OT-24), 16t (OT-52) and 17t (OT-53), but you may have to import them from the US and pay a lot of postage. I think the OT part number suggests it is a part originally conceived for the original Optima, though, meaning it would be a 32dp gear. If it is, then you can use any 32dp pinions and you don't have to stick to original Kyosho parts. You may want to upgrade to hardened steel versions, though, as the ally ones tend to wear quite badly and fill your gearbox with metal sludge.

• Thanks 1

CCB311C6-947D-485F-A6B2-151C6199E49B.thumb.jpeg.e8ecf01cf43916d5531610460fe34961.jpeg391BC26B-F73B-4F0F-86A3-1364201D2C7B.thumb.jpeg.5522a121c6ccb772c45732dd29a4ed5f.jpeg

Getting these onto the Raider chassis has been a right pain! They are finally set correctly although I am not sure on the front hex nut as I think it is slightly too big and comes loose too easily.

Final tidy up of the cables this weekend and a quick mow of the track and we should be able to show the finished car! 

I have really enjoyed this build and have already started wondering if the next one should be brushless…. 😁

Catching up on things last night. Here is part 3 of the Raider Project. I have build everything up to mounting the motor. 
Next video will complete the Chassis then hopefully I can get some footage of it running before the bad weather gets here! 

Here we have part 4. Finished building up the rear of the car. Gearbox is finished and I have mounted the servo. Just need to get the wheels finished then we can run it round the track!

• Like 1

Final build part! I made it to the end and there is some footage of both this build and my 1980 original. 
Just want to get a proper running video now but it has been great fun building this Kyosho. Thanks for all the advice and support!

• Like 1