TWINSET

58698 Lotus Europa Special

Just announced by Mokei Kagaku on FB

M06 Chassis (RWD)

1/24 Kit boxart

1315791-38473-59-pristine.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Tamiya, how do you keep doing this to me?!

I have a couple of old Matchbox Europa that I love. Do like a breadvan.

And I've not yet had an M06.

This could be my third pre-order this year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I'm a huge Lotus fan, so will have to get this! It's not the car I'd choose (Espirit, Elan, Elite, Elise.... lots of others I'd prefer to be honest) but the Europa is really popular in Japan, so not too surprised that it's this one. 

• Like 3

Now we are talking! What a great choice. Will need to get a couple of these - gold leaf and JPS for sure

• Like 3

I guess I will HAVE to get a Europa, but God my eyes... what were you thinking, Lotus? Camper? Ute with canopy? Hatchback? Oh, all of the above but in a sports car 🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m sure you’re just winding me up @berman. It is the perfect shell for an M08

4F5ECE00-0242-45EF-9B7F-1025AA88579F.jpg

Unless you get a Racers Paradise 914 shell (but it won’t have the detail of the Tamiya) ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Superluminal said:

Now we are talking! What a great choice. Will need to get a couple of these - gold leaf and JPS for sure

JPS Europa

The JPS livery really suits it. Though the Gold Leaf is nice too.

• Like 1

Tamiya matched RWD car with RWD chassis?  Scandalous!  (I'm kidding Tamiya, please do give us matching chassis.)

And what is up with @Mokei Kagaku always getting the first scoop?  Does he sneak into Tamiya HQ every night?  

Nes0Df9.jpg

Lotus Europa Special is very tempting! 

(I found this: I guess there was a comic book in Japan. Why a picture of a guy yawning?)

38hj8gj.jpg

TveUTZ8.jpg

The comic book version looks fine to me. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Ooh! Very nice! Hope the shell becomes available separately - I too would like to put one on an M-08.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I’m sure you’re just winding me up @berman. It is the perfect shell for an M08

4F5ECE00-0242-45EF-9B7F-1025AA88579F.jpg

Unless you get a Racers Paradise 914 shell (but it won’t have the detail of the Tamiya) ;)

Oh it is the perfect body for an M08, and I am glad Tamiya are still doing classics and not just contemporaries.

But it's butt (excuse the pun) ugly. It's like it was Friday afternoon at Lotus and they only got to the B pillar, but it had to be done by Monday morning, and they were hitting the pub at 4pm.

That body could have had a nice round 2dr couple rear.

When they said Europa, I was quitely hoping it was the 2006+ Europa S (i.e, Elise).

Will probably still get it, I don't have to like it though 😄

• Haha 3

Ah, with you now @berman. I can't help it. I have a thing for butt ugly cars. I owned an Alfa 146!

Perhaps an old Elan on an M05 would have been nice!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

I have a couple of old Matchbox Europa that I love. Do like a breadvan.

Same here. The Matchbox Europa was the very first car I got from Matchbox after they started to convert to Superfast wheels. It must have been 1969 or 1970 and I was 4 or 5. I have a very vivid memory of mum and I in the shop and she explaining to me that it was a new model and the wheels "special". My mum passed away 9 years ago, and soon after I started collecting Matchbox, Dinky Toys and Corgi Toys cars after giving away the ones I had as a child when I stopped playing with them at 11-12.  The Europa has a special place in my heart and collection.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

As you may know, it's from old Carson molds, which kind of explains the "modest" quality. Also, it has always annoyed me that they opted for the 914/6GT and 916 body and not a regular 914.  If it had been a regular narrow body 914, there would have been so many more options on how to paint it in authentic variations, including Autobahn-Polizei.

Anyway, with Tamiya's release of the Europa, I don't anymore regret not getting the Kyosho Pure Ten Europa body. I skipped it back then because Kyosho had gotten lazy with their Pure Ten series when the Europa was made, resulting in what I consider to be by far the least detailed body in the series. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Ugly and british :rolleyes:

I dare say it's by far more attractive than the vast majority of modern sporty / sports cars normal people can afford now.  Also, it may not have been a beauty when it was launched, but it was relatively affordable to buy and maintain and quite fast. Not many new cars we can say that about today.

• Like 5

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I really like it but it is one of those cars where it really needs the right colour and wheel combination.

Im also quite partial to 70s the Eclat and Elite too. Though I cant see a kit of them being produced any timd soon as they can be a bit marmite for most people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superluminal said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I really like it but it is one of those cars where it really needs the right colour and wheel combination.

Im also quite partial to 70s the Eclat and Elite too. Though I cant see a kit of them being produced any timd soon as they can be a bit marmite for most people.

Fully agree. I'm not deep into Lotus, but my understanding is that the Eclat and Elite epitomize "Lots Of Trouble Usually Serious" more than any other L.O.T.U.S., but I can't help liking them a lot anyway. I've got the Airfix 1/24 Lotus Elite kit (from old Tsukuda molds) and simply love it.

• Like 2

Sorry, it's probably a little off topic, but I feel nostalgic today, so I couldn't resist making a snapshot of my little Europa diecast collection.  And no, I won't paint the Tamiya Europa body metallic pink! :P

image_50415873.JPG

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Didn’t it have Renault engine? 

The original europa did but this is the twin cam version with the cut down rear deck . I have a friend who is not really in to RC but I could bet he’ll get one . He had a 1:1 in early 80’s. He now drives a lightweight 400 Caterham!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fabia130vRS said:

Ugly and british :rolleyes:

Bet you’ve never driven one. You would be smiling from ear to ear. Real seat of the pants driving. No aides at all 

• Like 5