Sign in to follow this  
Dookie-Shoes

What’s up with Tower Hobbies/Tamiya new releases?

Back in February, it was announced on the Tamiya blog website that Tamiya was going to be re-releasing the Novafox and the Wurth Ford turbo Capri Zakspeed. I’ve been checking tower hobbies almost every day since I saw the announcement and nothing ever shows for either of them. I checked the Tamiya site and they show the Novafox as being in stock (of course it’s WAAAAAY overpriced) and the Capri as “temporarily out of stock”. But neither have ever popped up on the Tower Hobbies site. 

However,  literally just a few days ago, the special edition Vaillant Porsche and the special edition Wild One Blockhead motors were announced and Tower Hobbies already has both of them on the site for pre-order. They aren’t listed as being available until November, but at least they’re listed. I have already pre-ordered both, but still no mention of the Novafox or the Capri. 

Has anyone heard if the Fox and Capri have been delayed? Or were they only available in certain markets? Or only available from the Tamiya website?

Aside from when I see Tamiya kits I want at my local hobby shops, I’ve pretty much only ordered from Tower as they usually have the kits I want. I’m not opposed to using other websites/sellers - and even paying a little more to make sure I get them, but I haven’t really been able to find the fox or Capri on any other hobby sites. Just eBay sellers with inflated prices.

Anyone here have any info on either of these?

Hello from St. Louis. Tower is very fickle. I do order from them fairly often, but they only carry a subset of the Tamiya range that they believe will sell. And they have ridiculously few parts available.

My go to for kits is Tamico. And for parts they don't carry I use PlazaJapan.

I think this is the Capri: https://tamico.de/Tamiya-58578-Ford-Capri-Zakspeed-Turbo-Gr5-Wuerth-TT-02-Kit

And here is the Novafox: https://tamico.de/navi.php?a=10172&lang=eng 

I've never had any problems ordering from Tamico to the US. To minimize shipping I do hold back my orders until I have a few kits I want for the season/year.

Hope you get the kits you're after!

(Disclaimer: I have no financial connection between either Tower or Tamico)

Email RPP if you want a NovaFox.  They will order it directly from Tamiya at less than the Tamiya website price.  I had to pay up front but the delay wasn’t very long before delivery.  

Thanks tamiya_1971!  Yes RPP.  They do a big scaler/crawler business.  They were the only major shop online willing to order me both a Fighting Buggy (which ended up being added to the site) and a NovaFox (which they ordered and didn’t add to the site).  Both Amain and Tower told me they could not get either vehicle.  Note they didn’t let me use the coupon on the special order items but I felt price was fair!  Something like $200 for the NovaFox.

RPP is just about the best mail-order house out there. And their customer service puts Tower to shame. They're my default go-to for most things.

• Like 1

Tower's strategy for stocking Tamiya kits is about as mysterious as Tamiya's strategy for re-releases.  They have had the last few new releases though, like Vanquish, TFE, thunder dragon, and now wild one and Porsche as well as Super Avante.   Don't think they ever had the fire dragon though and they sure as badword never got any egress.

28 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

Tower's strategy for stocking Tamiya kits is about as mysterious as Tamiya's strategy for re-releases.  They have had the last few new releases though, like Vanquish, TFE, thunder dragon, and now wild one and Porsche as well as Super Avante.   Don't think they ever had the fire dragon though and they sure as badword never got any egress.

they had the fire dragon but sold out quick!