Maverick74

“The one that got away”

Since bitten in 1983 I received one kit a year for Christmas and never looked forward to any other month than November. Each year the month prior to Christmas my father would take me to at the time the one and only Competition R/C Hobby Shop in Louisville Ky to get my “one big gift” and would have to wait a whole torturous month to unleash the beast of my choosing.  Nov 1987 will forever be etched in my mind for this is will be the day that the one got away.  At this point I was a veteran builder at 13 with 4 builds under my belt,  The Frog, Grasshopper, Fox and the Monster Beetle which had filled me with many hours of uninterrupted fun and was looking for a more complicated build more tuned for a driver of my caliber(so I thought) and can remember walking through the doors of the Hobby Shop and was met by the oh so familiar smell of semi pneumatic tires and brand new electronics and went straight to what I had my eye set on the whole year “The 959”. This kit was intricate, fast and expensive and definitely not for the beginner builder.  I told the clerk I wanted the 959 this year so he grabbed his step ladder to reach the top shelf where all high end kits were perched brought it down and saw my fathers eyes as he saw the hefty price tag but showed no discomfort.  I had the kit in my hands when I noticed the factory seal had been removed i questioned the clerk who was unaware hisself.  He opened the box and missing from the awe inspiring blister packaging was the RX-540VZ Motor. I then was like “Whats that all about then? CHUCK?!” as he explained that they were out of Technigold motor and someone must have broke into the blister to sell and replace it when stock came in which was a routine practice.  The last kit? He stated the 959 were on back order and due in Jan!  I was heartbroken.  He apologized and said he would sell me this kit discounted and throw in a Trinity racing motor.  My dad seeing my distress asked the clerk what kits did he have that we’re in that range and was equally good.. he climbed back up top and brought it down.  It was the RC-10.. I looked at it and have to admit was hypnotized by the gold pan chassis,  I thought about it for which seemed an eternity and left with the Rc-10. I never returned to get the 959 for Tamiya had newer more advanced kits coming out and till this day one of my biggest regrets.  Thank you for listening to my story and would love to hear your “One that got away” story.. Happy driving

F733496E-B02C-4F4B-A033-7C35AC206715.jpeg

102BAB2C-2D15-4264-AA3A-2BCBCF7A5514.jpeg

• Like 13

I didn't have guts to ask for expensive things.  Because my parents are frugal, I thought we were poor.  I think I wanted Marui Jeep (which looks suspiciously similar to Wild Willy now).  I thought "I should have asked for it when I had the chance."  But a couple decades later, I got a used Wild Willy1, and then I mostly forgot about that time.  Thank you for reminding me, 'one that got away' might be the reason why I stuck with RC all these years.  So it's all a good memory now.  Who knows, Tamiya might re-make Porsche 959 yet.  I'm always looking forward to Tamiya's new stuff.  I'm thankful for the past, but the future could be good too.   

sEFhIkc.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Well it was Insanely fast (at the time) and a stunning looking car but very brittle and it's a shame you never got to experience it! But equally as brilliant for different reasons the rc10 was a totally first class racing machine and probably a lot more involving with massive selection of different manufacturers hop-ups! So on hindsight probably the wiser choice?

• Like 1

@Juggular I saw a NIB of that kit for sale on eBay a few months ago and I was scratching my head whether to buy it.. :lol:  I didn't buy it either, but always wondered what it would be like.   

For me the one that got away was an M38, so I decided to get a bunch of them to make myself whole, and then some.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

There was a big RC hobby show that came around every year (I think it was called the MARC show, Mid Atlantic RC show possibly?). One year, my dad took me vs my more hobby-oriented grandfather. I was saving for my first Tamiya at the time but only had $60 saved (which took forever at that age). One of the vendors had a Wild Willy on closeout for $90 when they typically ran about $120. I knew Wild Willys were getting hard to find and I begged my dad for a loan. He said he didn't like the looks of it and that was the end of that. Once the money was saved, Wild Willy was pretty much gone from the hobby shops and I got a Lunch Box. The drive to get a WW never left me so I began saving again. Once I had the money in about a year, my grandfather took me to every hobby shop in the area surrounding the two nearby cities looking for one possibly stashed away but to no avail. It was quite awesome he did that for me though. Omni Models had the exact Toyota Land Cruiser @Juggular pictured on closeout for $49.99 so I scooped it up since it was as close to a WW as I'd could get. Its similarities to the Tamiya Jeep were quite plain down to the "Super Willy" decal on the spare tire (though perhaps Marui was shooting for Super Wheelie in a misspelling). Owning one was probably my greatest yearning in my youth. I drew pictures of WWs incessantly and looked for photos of them anywhere I could find them (usually with a magnifying glass in magazines and the old Tamiya catalogs). I have two originals and a WW2 today but still no original box.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Apparently, I'm not the only one who got bit by the Wild Willy bug. (1984 has half-page display of WW, but I always thought this should have been in plain olive drab)  

8yGy1Fh.jpg

Below are not in good resolution because they are only 3 inches wide. 

l18iYUs.jpg

E3Cv6nC.jpg

• Like 5

The Wild Willy is my favorite of them all, yet I’m not very fond of the box art either.  :lol:   I also prefer my M38’s in plain olive drab and minimal decals.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Saito, I have many fond memories of the MARC show myself!

In the UK we had a hobby show for a few years (2 years to be precise) at the NEC in Birmingham back around 2004 ish and I went to the second year of it and the crowds were very impressive plenty people attended considering it was only its second year! All the halls in the arena were full of all types of model hobby manufacturers from model trains, helicopters, planes, cars, etc really buzzing I came away thinking this is the yearly pilgrimage I've been waiting for all my life!!. And yes you guessed it the owners of the arena didn't want to stage it anymore because they wanted to concentrate on music events (more profit because you can pack people into those events like sardines in a tin) so it never got passed its second year......very big shame because i feel by now that would have been a top uk hobby event (covid to one side that is?)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Big Jon said:

Saito, I have many fond memories of the MARC show myself!

It was pretty cool wasn't it? I got my first Fast Attack Vehicle and Fox there in the following years. My grandfather discovered the show on his own and brought me a bunch of free RC magazines he got there. One of those was an RC Car Action mag that opened up new doors to the hobby to me. I usually went with my grandfather after that (except that first year with dad and the Wild Willy) until I was 16. That year, my grandfather was in the the hospital (he thankfully recovered) and my father (who didn't have a lot of interest in RC) suggested we go the big NSRA Street Rod show in York PA instead. My RC attention got divided with 1:1 cars around that time.

2 hours ago, Juggular said:

8yGy1Fh.jpg

This was the best, most complete image I had of Wild Willy for many years. The pre-internet days were different weren't they? Tamiya used to put small trifold leaflet model adverts in all there kits that featured a variety of their offerings. I had a ton of these that featured the Monster Beetle and 959 (I think). One time (and one time only!) I bought a Tamiya static model that must have been on the shelf a long time because it had an older leaflet with that image of the Wild Willy on the front. I studied and treasured it. It also gave me my first real glimpse of the Brat, Lancia Rally and Pajero too. 

Oddly, my whole interest in Wild Willy began with a small, black and white image of the boxart in an ad for America's Hobby Center in RCCA magazine. It was smaller than a postage stamp. I was intrigued that it was labeled a Tamiya product but clearly looked different (comical, if you will) than all of their other offerings which were known for their realistic bodies at the time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So I settled for the Gold Pan and still run it today.  My mother passed 6 days before Christmas in 83 and was the reason I got Into RC desperately needing the distraction.  I know now how broke we were and how hard my father had to work to do what he even did.  I never asked nor expected but appreciated the one or two gifts I got.  I owe him everything which is why I’ve kept and maintained everyone I got.   I contemplated on the WW2 at a time for it look fast and the sand tires looked like they were made for it. You all rock and loved reading those stories,  it’s so important to keep the link to our childhood open!

400F52FF-4E57-40DE-8E7E-9FF3DE7F7E48.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

On 8/8/2021 at 5:46 AM, Saito2 said:

Wild Willy began with a small, black and white image of the boxart 

Tamiya knew the importance of box art. That extended to the catalogs. Good visual representation was half the sales. They are the best.

Not always though.  Zahhak was a hidden gem because Tamiya decided to make this one get away.  Not many people will miss this color scheme.  

9AGpaMd.jpg

Perhaps realizing the error, Tamiya USA page shows Zahhak with white wheels. (For those who are allergic to pink, it has white wheels. Pink wheels are optional parts.)

JPyFKXE.jpg

What sold me wasn't Tamiya, it was a German member of TC, @Funracer.  That made a world of difference.  

xwEoxOw.jpg

Today, I found this Tamiya box art.  It looks... rather high school.  Come on, Tamiya, you have to make new memories!    

onKxAp9.jpg

It's a shame that a smaller company like Russian Zvezda does a better box art. (and the Zvezda driver has the common sense to open the vision port on the hatch to see where he's going. Unlike the Tamiya driver who's driving blind.  Shouldn't Tamiya know more about tanks than customers?)

tGPhxTE.jpg

Everything starts with an awesome box art!  

8aN20ZL.jpg

I'd say even comics helped.  

l3AddRS.jpg

I do hope that Tamiya stays on top of the box art game.  

IuyEEQy.jpg

jWzFNYI.jpg

(Above shows universals mysteriously hanging without A-arms. Do I see trailing arms?)

nrWf864.gif

OluGZbf.jpg

Alas it comes with a rigid axle. I might have gotten the Frog if I knew how low the gearbox was. (I still love my one-eyed Grasshopper, though.)  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Speaking of box art, this is still my favorite.. although I still prefer my M38's in simple drab scheme.

IMG_Jun152021at80457PM.thumb.jpg.7a48a5fd9610c0ea66f5823f29eb01ad.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Missing: a pale blue SG Coyote that my cousin gave me when we were young.

Last seen over a decade ago before my RC stuff went into storage, I honestly have no idea where it went :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

On 8/8/2021 at 2:34 AM, Juggular said:

I didn't have guts to ask for expensive things.  Because my parents are frugal, I thought we were poor.  I think I wanted Marui Jeep (which looks suspiciously similar to Wild Willy now).  I thought "I should have asked for it when I had the chance."  But a couple decades later, I got a used Wild Willy1, and then I mostly forgot about that time.  Thank you for reminding me, 'one that got away' might be the reason why I stuck with RC all these years.  So it's all a good memory now.  Who knows, Tamiya might re-make Porsche 959 yet.  I'm always looking forward to Tamiya's new stuff.  I'm thankful for the past, but the future could be good too.   

sEFhIkc.jpg

this was my first rc car

• Like 4

My "one that got away" was the Ferrari F40 on the Group C chassis. Back in 1991(?)ish, I had just got bitten by the RC bug, and I had a Hornet which I had pretty much modified as much as a young boy could manage to and I was looking for a road car this time. The F40 had always been one of my favorite 1:1 cars, and I was so pleased when I found this at my local hobby shop. Upon further inspection, I realized that the front lights didn't have buckets, which for some reason put me off. I later went back to get it anyway and it was out of stock. I ended up getting a Mercedes C11 instead, which I had a lot of fun with, but the F40 was always (and still is!) in the back of my mind.

Over the next few years I kept looking for one to no avail. I even learned to tell it apart from the "plebian" QD just be looking at the direction the car was pointing on the box (left for legit, right for QD). Alas, I never found another NIB. There's one now on eBay for absolutely silly money, so my wait continues, even though I know the chances of a re-re are miniscule to nil:

box_58098_01.jpg

Credit: Tamiyabase.com

• Like 1

Hi DeadMeat666,  incredible story thanks for sharing.  We are young only once and I feel it’s absolutely necessary to keep as many links to our childhood for it goes too quick.  Man do I feel your pain I can remember seeing it sit displayed in the window of my Hobby Shop and just looked crazy fast.  I hear you on EBay,, within the last three years prices went from bearable to downright comical.  The 959 is my dream kit but know way would I pay 5,500 for a NIB.  Anything (vintage) is out of control so as I aspect many of us is the doing right thing by not giving in to the gouging because that’s what it is. This is why this club is so important and special because we all are RC nuts and I’ve seen nothing but cheap to fair sells here.  Ive swapped part for part which is awesome.  Prices will come down eventually when no one is buying happy driving!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it’s the M38 Wild Willy for me, I pretty much have every other Buggy either on the shelf or in the restore cue that I coveted back in the 80’s (Maybe a Thunder Shot as the other).

The M38 Wild Willy seems to be really rare down here in Aus, when they do come up they are crazy expensive, and to find one O/S is killed by shipping. I’ll keep looking as one day I’ll find one, like I have with others

• Like 4

I'm in a similar position to @mtbkym01, essentially everything I ever wanted as a kid I now own - plus more.

An original RC10 is still on my want (need? :wacko:) list, & I'm sure I will get there at some point. But my 'one that got away' would have to be a re-release RC10.

They disappeared quite faster than I thought...

Reason behind a re-re was the ability to run it without fear of breaking an OG. But considering the rarity of the re-re now, it's probably much of a muchness. :lol:

• Like 3

I think it's a good thing I'm not into sedans right now because every car I buy turns into a M38 Willy theme.  :lol:

Imagine a F40 in matte olive drab with Willy inside and military USA star decals..  :blink: :lol:   

• Haha 3

On 8/8/2021 at 9:01 AM, Maverick74 said:

So I settled for the Gold Pan and still run it today.  My mother passed 6 days before Christmas in 83 and was the reason I got Into RC desperately needing the distraction.  I know now how broke we were and how hard my father had to work to do what he even did.  I never asked nor expected but appreciated the one or two gifts I got.  I owe him everything which is why I’ve kept and maintained everyone I got.   I contemplated on the WW2 at a time for it look fast and the sand tires looked like they were made for it. You all rock and loved reading those stories,  it’s so important to keep the link to our childhood open!

400F52FF-4E57-40DE-8E7E-9FF3DE7F7E48.jpeg

I think my eyes are leaking.

Must be a lot of harvest dust in the air, or pollen. Yeah, the wildfires out west that’s what it is

• Like 2

Wow, I'm really amazed at how much sentimental value many have with RC's that goes far beyond just the "hobby" itself.  For most of us, RC's define a time period in our lives.  The "one that got away" for me would be the Tamiya Fox.  

I was 12 years old and mom couldn't afford one for Christmas.  Instead, I mowed lawns all spring and summer, saving each penny until I had the exact amount listed on Tower Hobbies and then called to order C.O.D (cash on delivery).  Super excited at the delivery date, a Saturday.. I could hardly contain myself.  My mom was out at her second job and I stared out of the window waiting for the brown UPS delivery truck to arrive.  Finally a truck stopped out front and the driver went and grabbed the appropriate sized box from the back,  and then came to towards the door.  I had my money counted in hand when I opened the door.  The driver handed me the box and and a signature form while he counted the money.  On the form, I noticed that the price was quite a bit more than the amount I had and was stunned.  I had not figured in the tax + fees for ordering C.O.D. and was short of the total needed.  The delivery driver felt my pain, I'm sure.  He asked if my mom was around or any other relative that could help out.  I knew it wasn't to be and had to watch him load the box back onto the truck and drive away.    The next day, my older brother had his bicycle stolen and I gave my saved money so that he could buy another one.

It took me 14 years to get an original Fox.  It was used and well abused from Ebay, but well worth it.  I glued the broken front suspension arms back together and polished up the rusty old Technigold motor it came with and enjoyed what last bits of life it had left in it before retiring it as a shelf-queen for 10 years. I eventually sold it on to a loving home before I moved to Japan.  

Two years after I moved to Japan, I received a job offer that was a bit of an upward step from my current position in a different company.  At the same time, my wife had a 1 week business trip planned so we would have to delay any celebration.  Perhaps an even better perk of the new job was that it is located 15 or 20 minutes walking distance from the major hobby shops.  After I accepted the offer, I decided head over and see if I could find a kit to build since I'd be home solo.  I knew the moment I saw that NovaFox box, what I would be purchasing and building.  Went and got all necessary items from radio gear and servo down to paint and a brushless Tamiya TBLM 14T motor with extra 12guage wire and matching shrink tubing colors.  I spent the entire week building slowly and carefully, as if it was the kit I had tried to purchase more than 26 years prior.  I'll never let it get away again.

• Like 6

@Killajb Wow, nice story and you tell it very well.  I can’t imagine the disappointment when the total was more than you had.. cold sharp feeling down your spine, I bet.  And you helping out your brother with his bike.. you have a very kind heart.  

For me, had I realized I could purchase new and used M38’s on eBay earlier I would’ve bought them.  Silly me, I did not even realize until late last year when I was searching for a new WW2 body (after a long hiatus from RC) my search triggered an M38.. I was dumbfounded.  :lol:   So within maybe 5-6 months time I bought over 12 new and used M38’s to finally complete my RC ‘mission’ of having a convoy of Willy’s.  

I just could not afford one as a kid.

Honestly I can die happy now.  LOL

• Like 2

Wow, nice story and you tell it very well.     oh jeeze @Willy iine now I'm a little embarrassed..:rolleyes:  I guess I still have vivid memories of it all and got carried away rehashing it..  

I really enjoy your "Willitia" and the creative new additions you keep adding to it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Killajb said:

Wow, I'm really amazed at how much sentimental value many have with RC's that goes far beyond just the "hobby" itself.  For most of us, RC's define a time period in our lives.  The "one that got away" for me would be the Tamiya Fox.  

I was 12 years old and mom couldn't afford one for Christmas.  Instead, I mowed lawns all spring and summer, saving each penny until I had the exact amount listed on Tower Hobbies and then called to order C.O.D (cash on delivery).  Super excited at the delivery date, a Saturday.. I could hardly contain myself.  My mom was out at her second job and I stared out of the window waiting for the brown UPS delivery truck to arrive.  Finally a truck stopped out front and the driver went and grabbed the appropriate sized box from the back,  and then came to towards the door.  I had my money counted in hand when I opened the door.  The driver handed me the box and and a signature form while he counted the money.  On the form, I noticed that the price was quite a bit more than the amount I had and was stunned.  I had not figured in the tax + fees for ordering C.O.D. and was short of the total needed.  The delivery driver felt my pain, I'm sure.  He asked if my mom was around or any other relative that could help out.  I knew it wasn't to be and had to watch him load the box back onto the truck and drive away.    The next day, my older brother had his bicycle stolen and I gave my saved money so that he could buy another one.

It took me 14 years to get an original Fox.  It was used and well abused from Ebay, but well worth it.  I glued the broken front suspension arms back together and polished up the rusty old Technigold motor it came with and enjoyed what last bits of life it had left in it before retiring it as a shelf-queen for 10 years. I eventually sold it on to a loving home before I moved to Japan.  

Two years after I moved to Japan, I received a job offer that was a bit of an upward step from my current position in a different company.  At the same time, my wife had a 1 week business trip planned so we would have to delay any celebration.  Perhaps an even better perk of the new job was that it is located 15 or 20 minutes walking distance from the major hobby shops.  After I accepted the offer, I decided head over and see if I could find a kit to build since I'd be home solo.  I knew the moment I saw that NovaFox box, what I would be purchasing and building.  Went and got all necessary items from radio gear and servo down to paint and a brushless Tamiya TBLM 14T motor with extra 12guage wire and matching shrink tubing colors.  I spent the entire week building slowly and carefully, as if it was the kit I had tried to purchase more than 26 years prior.  I'll never let it get away again.

This story reminds me of my own in parts. I desperately wanted a Frog when I first discovered Tamiya, a friend from school got one that year for Christmas, and my neighbour got a Hotshot. My parents couldn’t afford anything like that for me. I saved and saved and saved collecting cans and doing anything I could to raise money. By the time I had a decent amount, The Fox had been released and a store advertised a package deal with Radio Gear,  battery and Charger. My Mum thankfully chipped in the rest and a beautiful Fox kit came home with her one afternoon, best day of my life to that point without doubt.

• Like 1