I bought my boys an electric go kart 2nd hand from eBay. 

The boys used it for a day and the ex left it out for the rubbish 🙁😡

I also "won" 2x kids bikes for £1.  But unfortunately these suffered the same fate. 

I took both the kids bikes back, and sold one for £10. 

Took the go kart home and stripped it down, keeping the wheels and electrical parts.

I don't know exactly why I did this but may I introduce "Rocket trike"?

This came from a "lot" of 2 bikes for £1..

OySgl7e.jpg

JcYxqw8.jpg

I Think these batteries are no good, got no punch even wired in series to give 18volts..

Works great on a 3s lipo though.

• Like 1

I cycled the lead acid batteries a few times and made sure all the spade terminals were tight, and it seems to have some power with 3x lead acid 6 volt batteries..

I did also try it myself on 4s lipo and it carried me. 😄😁😁😘

• Haha 1

Love it!! Its got the perfect balance of home made awesomeness to home made injury waiting to happen. How did you get the motor between the rear drop outs fixed? Have you welded in a bridging piece between them?

Is it a fixed rear wheels or is there some sort of diff?

I took some inspiration from these "rocket" BMX's that i keep seeing. They look like a clowns BMX bike..

The kids all had a go last weekend, on 3s lipo i think .

My 9 year old could easily control it and had great fun .

My 7 year old couldn't control it at all/ drove it like he was drunk..

And the twin babies had a go, closely guarded by me and they managed to handle it fine..

I think my 7 year old must have been drunk. Lol.. 

But then the axle was an ,M10 coach bolt which locked into the bike frame with its square shoulder..

The gearbox was just slid on and prevented from spinning by being locked inside the bike frame..  there wasn't much holding it in the original go kart. It was only locked in by plastic..

But this resulted in a lot of camber change when my eldest sat on it..

So today, i managed to fabricate a solid axle (threaded rod).  Went to ,Big &,Queues, because they had M10 threaded rod in stock on website, get to the shop and there is none!!!!

Used an M10 connecting sleeve to join both axles together for more strength..  

Ok. Some weight will still be transferred through the plastic gearbox and wheels but no camber change when i sat on it, although I'm not very heavy..

I'll try and find better pictures to explain, it's just a toy/project, /injury / explosion/ or fire waiting to happen..

The gearbox has a 280? Motor, 

There were 2 on the go kart, one on each back wheel, so just slid on, and held in place by the bike frame.

But now, I've screwed a bolt through from the outside, through the wheel and the gearbox, tightened it up with enough play to move freely,, then used the remaining thread to bolt it onto the bike frame and a connecting sleeve to join both ends together.. 

I'll get some more pics..

I'm pleased i got the lead acid batteries working..  keeps costs down.

• Like 1

I do have one brushless motor that fits these gearboxes but then, I'd have to change the speed control, was thinking about a throttle handle bar control from an e scooter or something..

I did upgrade a cheap electric motorbike, but decided it would be stronger to use a bike frame as the base as the motor bike was just plastic.

This is what i started out with, although, i had already "upgraded" the bike by then.

fokpL10.jpg

Axle is currently 2 X coach bolts, joined by a connecting sleeve.

It's a bit of a bodge but it's all i could find available, 

8SswUS6.jpg

Coach bolt from the outside.

Through the wheel, this part has no thread as well which should help smooth running..  i had to cut a M10 bolt to connect the middle together, but it's bolted tight to the frame now and the wheel isn't restricted.

27fw4Wm.jpg

Got some "punch" after i squeezed all the spade terminals tighter .

s7nr6Jo.jpg

I ran it on 2x 2s lipos.. the voltmeter was showing 16 volts..

With 3x lead acid batteries. Here's the voltmeter now ...

h7Q8org.jpg

Will it take it???

This was on 2x 2s lipos.. 16volts apparently.

http://imgur.com/a/wGo1TCu

I did pull a little wheelie, but i was sitting too far back, i didn't build it for me..

I'll admit, I'm not heavy, but, before, it was having major camber issues with my 9 year old boy sitting on it.

For my next project, I'll be "hopping" up a pedal go kart but not sure how yet, but it'll happen.

Cut the frame in half, lengthen it, so i can "test" it. Then add some power. 

It's midnight, so I turned on my car headlights because there seems to be very little street lights around these days. 

I do most of my "testing" at night when there are less zombies around.

Tried 4s lipo and it took me, so I had to try 6s lipo. 

Lean forward and hold on tight.. 

• Haha 1

The axle had just come unscrewed,.

I think the bolts I used were longer but here's the axle set up.

A1XJcsA.jpg

Through the wheel with a washer.

hdE95qe.jpg

First nut just gives the wheel enough room to move, it's not tight, then I locked it onto the bike frame with a 2nd nut 

3HZh1sS.jpg

And the final pieces of the puzzle that holds it all together..

*,Was supposed to but failed during first testing.

HXOFUeD.jpg

Screw the connector sleeves on.

lZmwb0h.jpg

Cut the bolt to length.. 

8yiuUKj.jpg

Handy hint.. put your loctite in a bottle lid to save spraying it everywhere when it suddenly becomes unblocked.

apjqfQW.jpg

Screw the bolt in.

d75vpKg.jpg

And lock up the connector sleeves in the middle, could have used an extra locking nut here but I used loctite. So hopefully it will hold out for a while.

gsSLu1x.jpg

I "won" another kids bike for 99p that I wanted for a different project but I think the frame is bigger and maybe more stable, less prone to wheelie.

But this is pretty much a "bolt on" kit now, easy to swap to a different frame.

Or a pushchair, for instance!!!!, I have twin boys who are nearly 3 years old. And they rode it on 3s lipo *carefully supervised by me..

So I was thinking, I could just bolt it to the pushchair, and make it a pull chair instead.

* Faster boys, come on, get your foot down, pedal to the metal........ok, ok, stop now,,,,,,stop.

On 8/19/2021 at 12:08 AM, wolfdogstinkus said:

It's midnight, so I turned on my car headlights because there seems to be very little street lights around these days. 

I do most of my "testing" at night when there are less zombies around.

Tried 4s lipo and it took me, so I had to try 6s lipo. 

Lean forward and hold on tight..

This is gold :lol:

• Like 1

Mark 2 almost complete.

BcGCMX9.jpg

Chopper style seat for extra "coolness", moved as far forward as possible to reduce the risk of wheelies .

wpvcPQG.jpg

Fixed the footpegs so they can't move around anymore. This frame is 2" longer than the last one, now the handle bars don't collide with the seat, that's an improvement.

rle4TLu.jpg

Still standard brushed motors.. should be plenty fast enough for the kids on 4s lipo. (Originally it ran on 12 volts)

Not sure whether to put a smaller tyre on the front or a bigger one?

zQgZeF6.jpg

This is 14" but the forks will accommodate a 16" tyre,, or possibly a 10" to match the rear and keep the "mini rocker" theme going?

I think the bigger one to give it more "rake"

Gave my eldest a go on ,6s lipo.

The "launch"/ initial torque was scary, wanted to wheelie a lot, but the top speed was rubbish.. 

My eldest boy ,(9,) wasn't impressed with the top speed..

So, may I introduce rocket "BIKE" (it's lost a wheel!!!)

Nol7ePy.jpeg

I've ordered ",,, chopper" handle bars which are taller and wider than the BMX handle bars, so hopefully, they will be a perfect fit.

Razor e300 grafted onto a 99,p eBay kids bike win..

e2V5zqx.jpeg

Still got the chopper seat.

UUerm9q.jpeg

But only one wheel at the back..

6jesy5b.jpeg

Originally, I was going to keep the "trike" theme and have a smaller wheel either side but this seemed to fit reasonably well..

Rocket bike MK3 is mobile........

• Like 1

Greatest spend so far has been the parcel shelf and passenger seat which my eldest had on his old bike, never used because he wasn't old/strong enough to carry passengers..

Scooter came as a job lot with 4 bicycles, so I fixed up 3 bicycles and made a bit of profit... Enough to buy the original scooter batteries and keep a bike for myself.

Then I "won" an e200  (,99p) which also just needed batteries and was actually faster than the e300!!!,  So that now has original batteries and the e300 has 6s lipo..

Rocket bike MK4 is operational,......(got confused, forgot I had updated, so I think this is still MK3??)

Update

Coming soon

I know the handle bar stem is backwards, it makes it closer for the kids, until the chopper bars arrive.

HwVzXRN.jpeg

I guess I forgot to measure the position of the footpegs!!!,,. 

Didn't measure anything, you can tell.. lol

dcMk4RD.jpeg

Comfy saddle. Footpegs fold up 

GQeSQDm.jpeg

Handle bars arrived this evening, I did cut about an inch off either side, or you'd struggle to get it through doors . 

I think it's cool, so I'm showing it off here..

8bQ0J1u.jpeg