Hi guys was looking to sell some of my collection. Was wondering how most of you handle packing and shipping. I always find that to be the most challenging part of selling..any help would be great 👍 

Depends. If its a single car with no equipment,

it could be low as 30-35$. 

it is is a car with equipment like radio or charger and extra parts. It couls easy go up to 60$.

best to check with your local post office… mine has tolerancea for the lowest price for and under 1-2kg. Next level is 2-5kg

that is for worldwide shiping from EU to USA

for example EU > UK, much lower prices.

A car to UK goes for 18$ - 25$

5 hours ago, Vintagenewbie said:

Hi guys was looking to sell some of my collection. Was wondering how most of you handle packing and shipping. I always find that to be the most challenging part of selling..any help would be great 👍 

Is this regarding the actual physical process of packaging and shipping of an item,  or the cost of same ?

17 hours ago, Vintagenewbie said:

I guess more of the materials used to protect the model. Cost would be helpfull as well..

Complete or unbuilt kits that still have the box, just get everything into the box, wrap the kit box in bubble wrap and then in something like this for postage

If it's built kits you're talking about, without a box....

I recently shipped a built super astute (no kit box), plus shell etc, as a 'Small Parcel' using one of these. They're on a 3-for-2 offer right now

I you part disassemble the vehicle (ie remove the shell, wheels, wing, etc) then most buggies should fit in one of them. I surround all the various bits in bubble wrap and paper before sealing the box; I normally keep a bin bag full of the bubble wrap, air pillows, brown paper etc that comes with deliveries I receive and then re-use it when I ship stuff. I also keep a few empty boxes in the garage, Tamico boxes etc are usually good for when you then come to sell or ship something yourself. 

I know a built touring car chassis will fit in one of those WHSmith boxes too, but I'm not sure about a TC shell, they tend to be too long for the Small Parcel dimensions. Better to ship it all in the kit box as per the first suggestion

Either way it's going to cost you £11 to ship it with Royal Mail within the UK if it's worth up to £250 and under 2kg, but you can probably buy a courier cheaper. If selling through eBay I tend to just use the Packlink service, it seems to be pretty good value 

Anything over 2kg, you're definitely looking at a courier, RM have almost purposefully priced themselves out of that market

For weighing big parcels, I use our digital luggage scales. Wrap a cross of heavy twine or light rope around the parcel to make something for the scales to hook onto

Hope that helps! 

• Like 1

Just about covers it all . Having boxes and wrapping , bubble wrap etc to hand saves a lot of time . Package over 2kg can be sent via Parcelforce with tracking and insurance and is cheaper than Royal mail if you don't fancy using a courier .

If I sell via Ebay I tend to use Packlink for postage of large items. The UPS service has been excellent at picking stuff up from my door and its quick and I dont need to worry about the quality of the delivery (throwing stuff over hedges etc). Prices have been good as well.

55 minutes ago, acprc said:

If I sell via Ebay I tend to use Packlink for postage of large items. The UPS service has been excellent at picking stuff up from my door and its quick and I dont need to worry about the quality of the delivery (throwing stuff over hedges etc). Prices have been good as well.

Agreed; for larger / heavier parcels sold via eBay, UPS via Packlink scores well on price, convenience and reliability 

• Like 1