Sign in to follow this  
Norco Kid

Cleaning brand new tires

I've always cleaned mould release off new tires with dish soap and warm water and it seems to do an OK job but some still come out looking pretty gray and dull. I know Glen from Tamiya Legends uses silicone spray to shine them up and get that deep black look, but since I have my cars on display in the living room I don't want to use any chemical that has an odor or leaves residue. Does anyone have any tips on getting tires to look good while using indoor-friendly products? 

Hi @Norco Kid I’ve run mine through the dishwasher & that’s sorted them. Have heard others put them in the tumble drier for a few minutes & had a good result. 

Disclaimer: I won’t accept liability for any domestic disputes or broken appliances :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Once you’ve washed them, try a bit do heat from a heat gun or hair dryer, typically brings the black back

When needed, I put my disposable gloves on and spray motor spray/nitro cleaner/CRC MAF cleaner into a paper towel and wipe the tires clean.   It removes everything including a thin layer of tire so you know you get a clean fresh surface.  

In fact, I do this on my 1:1 car tires too when brand new before applying tire dressing.   Even removes balancing dots. 

Just put them in a pan of simmering water which has baking soda in. Cleans them up in seconds. 

11 hours ago, Norco Kid said:

I have my cars on display in the living room

How did you get your wife’s ok on that???