Saito2

Do you drive for the drive?

12 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

This is where the Golf shines , averaging 45mpg at triple figures, (40mph per 1000rpm in 6th), 

That's awesome.  I get around 20mpg in my supercharged Impala at 85-90.  At 65-70 it will do 27, drops off real quick as you get up there in speed.  I think my next daily will be something a bit more mpg friendly.  

The stoichiometric ratio is slightly different running E10 (14.08:1 - E10 to 14.7 :1 - petrol) so you do need to add more fuel, but the O2 sensor should take care of running in closed loop, its the rotting of the seals in the fuel system that you need to keep an eye on and time rolls on. I've just redone mine in Viton seals.

5 minutes ago, 87lc2 said:

That's awesome.  I get around 20mpg in my supercharged Impala at 85-90.  At 65-70 it will do 27, drops off real quick as you get up there in speed.  I think my next daily will be something a bit more mpg 

Works out at around $7.40 a US gallon ($83 to fill it) here, so I'm still more in the wallet 😬. Modern diesels are quite good in that respect, and with 200hp out of a 2ltr , mid 50's when driven 'normally' and early 60's when at max efficiency (mines meant to be 69mpg) , just a bit, dull, and not something you think to jump into, just to go out for a drive..

On 9/9/2021 at 3:56 PM, Wooders28 said:

Works out at around $7.40 a US gallon ($83 to fill it) here, so I'm still more in the wallet 😬. Modern diesels are quite good in that respect, and with 200hp out of a 2ltr , mid 50's when driven 'normally' and early 60's when at max efficiency (mines meant to be 69mpg) , just a bit, dull, and not something you think to jump into, just to go out for a drive..

Wow, that reminds me of the great recession in the USA when my fill ups were near US$100 on my 2009 370Z I had new at the time.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MICHAELs TopForce17 said:

what year?

A 2004 Indy Edition.  Has the Buick 3.8 supercharged engine.  My father bought the car new and I took it when he bought a new truck.  Not the most exciting car, but a fantastic daily driver.  Just hit 270k miles and runs like new and still looks good.  Have been daily driving cars with the supercharged Buick motor for years and love them.  As long as I can get my hands on them that's what I'll be driving.

2 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

A 2004 Indy Edition.  Has the Buick 3.8 supercharged engine.  My father bought the car new and I took it when he bought a new truck.  Not the most exciting car, but a fantastic daily driver.  Just hit 270k miles and runs like new and still looks good.  Have been daily driving cars with the supercharged Buick motor for years and love them.  As long as I can get my hands on them that's what I'll be driving.

I used to have a 2003. My bro had the 1996 impala ss but sold it a few years ago. Now he has not sure the year but a trailblazer ss with the 6.0 litre ls2 engine, not his daily but fun and fast.

Oh nice, I don't think they has SS versions in 03?  My dad had a 96 SS back in the day, that was a cool car.  Not fast, but nice to drive.  Those Trailblazers with the LS motors are awesome.  I'd love to daily drive that, but I'd go broke paying for gas on my 100 mile round trip commute...

On 9/9/2021 at 8:45 PM, Wooders28 said:

It's an '81, last of the 2nd gens, with a 350/700r4 engine swap out of a 3rd gen Z28, that's had a bit of tinkering.

Originally a manual car (just over 3k built in that year..), but had a 305/350 when it was my daily.

2021-01-14_10-34-26

2020-06-02_10-26-21

An XKR would have been alot more interesting than a diesel Golf ,although ,we'd still be sharing a cell...🙄 (and I'm still struggling now, to keep under jail speeds, a bit desensitised...) 

@Toolmaker72 ,easier tagging you , than hijacking a thread 🙄🤣

Want to get it running and driving, bodywork fettled etc, then send it off for paint, before tackling the interior, so it's a bit of a way off yet.....😳

Interiors take time.  I’m happy to sort something out.  Only issue is distance.  So shipping will be a factor unfortunately.   Materials are cost so it’s just the labour to agree with.  Send me some pictures of the ultimate you would like and I’ll know what you are after. 👍🙂

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Toolmaker72 said:

I’m happy to sort something out

Thanks a lot! 

shipping will be a factor

I'm hoping it's going its to be cheaper than importing new ones..

Send me some pictures of the ultimate you would like and I’ll know what you are after

Not quite sure yet tbh, I've never seen them, most custom stuff I've seen is OTT.

I wouldn't mind a door pocket (stock ones ,are more like a elasticated sleeve), and want a speaker pod, but subtle ,not like a 'Max Power' monstrosity , so I'm going to have to measure up, and see if a plastic pocket/speaker pod, out of another 2 door that can be found in a scrap yard locally, recovered , and can be made to fit. 

I like stock looking, but not stock (if that makes sense?, In the middle of an LED rear sequential light conversion, that I've had to redo, as they looked too like LED.....😬)

I understand stock but not stock.   What I can’t do is the pressed on style lines that melt into the vinyl.  I can do a stitched version but also I could measure up for proper tuck and roll design that matches a seat centre panel.  Kind of like a Jaguar style.  Horizontal tuck and roll looks more sporty on a seat but vertical tuck and roll looks fab when incorporated into a door panel.    Speaker builds are not an issue but as you say nothing huge.   Personally I would suggest nothing bigger than a 160mm driver because it will just rattle the door interior parts. Also use the high pass filter to delete anything below 80hz.  Nothing worse than buzzing door interiors.   If you do make your own speaker pod use ply or mdf.  Plastic ones are difficult to stick the door covers on and don’t really last if left in the hot sun as the oil comes out the plastic and then the glue starts to let go.    

So are you thinking of vinyl or leather?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toolmaker72 said:

Horizontal tuck and roll looks more sporty on a seat but vertical tuck and roll looks fab when incorporated into a door panel

Right ok, I'll really need to get a bit more into it, but don't want to go too far from the stock look.

Personally I would suggest nothing bigger than a 160mm driver because it will just rattle the door interior parts. Also use the high pass filter to delete anything below 80hz.

Aye, I was looking at the Alpine 170mm, as there's an offer with tweeters, but not sure if that's just going to give me work work/head ache ,as tweeters need to be higher up, on the A pilar, or mount them in the dash, where the stock (fairly useless) speakers sit....🤔

use ply or mdf

I work in an MDF factory, most things I do, are in MDF..🙄😁

So are you thinking of vinyl or leather?

Vinyl, as the seats are vinyl. 

Bought and fitted these, front and rear (in the dark blue)

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1979/pontiac/firebird/parts/f1027800212.html

Dark blue seats / interior, black carpet, not sure about headlining yet, might be worth going for white or cream, to lift it a bit, although it is a T - top, so most of it is glass anyway.

Going for Audi Segang blue paint, close to the stock '79 Nocturne blue, but with a modern metallic up lift, Gold 8x15 snowflake wheels, with the grills in the wings gold, to tie it in.

Right those covers you bought.  I wouldn’t be able to make those at that price.  So if you can get the door cards to match you will have done well.  That way you will have a good matching interior.  Matching the American vinyl would be impossible for me unless I made a complete interior from a batch of material we would agree on.  Also I wouldn’t have any template, I would need to create my own.  It would take roughly 2-3 attempts at getting it right before I made the finished covers.  
if you went away from stock and wanted something unique then that’s where I would be more competitive on price.    
I recently made new trim and covers for a Mk2 Jag and materials alone accounted for £800.  I think it’s possibly  worth paying the extra shipping from the states to get the matching door cards.  
Perhaps with the speaker pods.  Build them and then cover in black vinyl to match the black carpet possibly use a dark blue thread for the French seams to match the original blue vinyl?  That would keep costs down.  Then it’s just a matter of you fitting the speaker pods back onto the doorcard.

• Thanks 1

Sorry, just seen your reply!

On 10/12/2021 at 12:03 AM, Toolmaker72 said:

So if you can get the door cards to match you will have done well.

Looking at around £200ish, for new door cards , then another few hundred for the other bits and bobs (not really wanting the old ,chrome peeled off door handles etc, but new arm rests are looking to be over the £200 mark too!?!...)

https://www.classicindustries.com/product/1979/pontiac/firebird/parts/k78712.html

On 10/12/2021 at 12:03 AM, Toolmaker72 said:

if you went away from stock and wanted something unique then that’s where I would be more competitive on price.    

Right ok, 

Thanks for your help, it'll be at least a year before I'm up to door cards, so maybe contact you then. 👍

New interiors do add up quickly unfortunately and those parts you have links for are very good prices.  
Especially as the door cards will match your recently covered seats.

The trim materials I can get hold of suit classic British and European cars.  If I did an American car the vinyl would be a compromise as it wouldn’t  match anything original.  It would still look good but not original.  Leather would be a better choice and not that much extra as it’s the same labour charge just more on materials.  
As you say, early days yet.  

• Thanks 1