Sign in to follow this  
ThunderDragonCy

What brushed ESC for LRP Trinity 12x2 or 14x2?

I have a new ta02 iconic class racer, but it's goinv to be months before the speed tuned gearset arrives. I would like to throw in a fast motor to make it roughly equivalent speed to a tt01e with the iconic cup motor in, which based on the gearing difference means i need between 33000 and 36000 rpm from my motor. The LRP 12x2 and 14x2 fit the bill, but i don't know what esc will work. 1060 and 1080 have 30000rpm max motir speed limits. Anyone got any ideas? 

Are you referring to the Hobbywing Quicrun 1060? No experience with the 1080 but the 1060 might limit/cut off the power when things get too much/hot for it, which I've noticed. From my experience it's an overrated ESC—sometimes even a Super Stock RZ will tax it depending on the gearing. Definitely noticed how it struggles with a 32-35k rpm motor, no punch when it gets hot vs an older powerful brushed ESC which was consistent (but this was on a buggy/tarmac). As for ESCs, two come to mind that's still being produced: a KO Propo VFS-FR2 Pro—I believe it has no motor limit but unsure if you have to re-program it (I have one but wont be trying it soon though). The other is a Tekin RSX Pro, quite expensive. I believe you can use it for both brushed and brushless (but double check). Brushed setup will have a motor limit of 6T. 

If you're going 14T, Futaba has the MC330cr (goes up to 13T).

I don't know much about new LRP ESCs as I'm in the US but I have two old ones: LRP AI Automatic Pro Digital Reverse (10T) and an F1 Bullet (no limit). I think those two are good alternatives if you can still find them—at least it's easier to find them vs older brushed Novak ESCs or older reliable Tekin ESCs.

• Thanks 1

I've ran a 1060 with a 12x1 Orion Revolution V2, which I think was rated to 42,000rpm. Seemed to go OK.

The 1060's cheap enough, you could try it - if it doesn't work, get something better.

The new KO and Futaba @Mechanic AH recommended would be good. Depends what radio gear you have and if you want matching brands? The KO's black, the Futaba's pink.

eBay has numerous suitable used Novak, LRP and Tekin brushed ESC's available, too.

• Thanks 1