Mechanic AH

The worse Tamiya kit/chassis that every true Tamiya fan needs to build?

11 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

5. Truck — this is a must at some point. I remember someone telling me that I wouldn't be a true Tamiya enthusiast if I don't build one. Just not sure if I have the room to store it as I live in a tiny house.
6. High-Lift/3 speed — I'll look into this. I'm curious but my  interest isn't enough yet for the price. I know this is different but my next build is a 2 speed non-Tamiya crawler so it'll be interesting later to compare.
7. CR01 — almost got one but hesitated because of some negative review vs the CR02. But maybe it qualifies for the criteria.
8. SRB — this is good. Had a thread last week I think and some mentioned an SRB. I did order one and I think this might be a requirement for any Tamiya enthusiast.
9. Grasshopper/Hornet — done it so I can skip this one.
10. Bigwig — hmm gotta think about this one. I don't know why I've never been a fan of it, maybe it's because I when I was a kid I knew someone who literally wore a wig and had a Bigwig and I thought it was so uncool. It was a windy day and as the Bigwig made a pass his wig flew off of his head and landed in front of me.
11. M-06 — didn't see that one too and didn't know it could be a bland build experience. Someone recommended the R but maybe I should just do an M-08?
12. ORV — I did like the Monster Beetle when I was kid. But aside from the Lunchbox CW01, I think this is another where I've see a split on likes/dislikes.
10. Tamtech Gear GB03 exploded view — haha! I think that would be interesting but not sure if they sell these anymore?
11.1/700 scale Yamato — interesting but not to keen yet on static stuff. I do have a few in store but mostly figures.

5: a 4x2 Euro rig is around the same footprint as a 1:10 touring car, so doesn't take up much more space on the shelf, unless you add a trailer (which is a lot more expense).  The Globe Liner is the shortest of the US rigs.

6: the comparison will be night and day.  The Tamiya trucks are more like scale models than crawlers.  Lots of mods will be needed if you want it to crawl.  I can't compare builds as I haven't built the Tamiya, but I've built a few other-brand scale rigs and found them to be fairly involving.

12: If you haven't built an ORV, it's worth a look.  My only childhood NIB was a Mud Blaster, and I ran it for years in stock form without a single breakage (apart from the fragile body, which broke every weekend).  The diff needn't be a problem unless you're upping the power.  It's most definitely not the best at what it does (especially in monster truck form) but it's interesting to see how Tamiya took an existing (and already slightly bizarre) buggy chassis and made it into a big-wheeler.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 7:30 AM, Frog Jumper said:

I was wondering when someone would mention the ORV…

It really is all those things, but I absolutely love my blackfoot.  I think the Frog is ugly as all badword. you see way too much of the chassis, and it's just bulky and clunky and looks like it weighs 15lbs which isn't far off.  But the Blackfoot and MB are classics and I can't stay away.  The gearbox is garbage although a MIP diff and some 3d printed parts by members here makes it way better.  They are really fun to drive.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, A-Baum said:

It really is all those things, but I absolutely love my blackfoot.  I think the Frog is ugly as all badword. you see way too much of the chassis, and it's just bulky and clunky and looks like it weighs 15lbs which isn't far off.  But the Blackfoot and MB are classics and I can't stay away.  The gearbox is garbage although a MIP diff and some 3d printed parts by members here makes it way better.  They are really fun to drive.

The best part of the ORV is its versatility - Lancia Rally, Frog, Brat, BF, MB, Mud Blaster, Super BF and Bush Devil, and the penultimate KBF.  You could turn an ORV into any kind of car/truck you wanted, and there are/were lots of 3rd party hop-ups and add-ons to do whatever you wanted.

The worst part of the ORV is that is drives like crap.

But yeah, a nicely finished BF body is something to behold...

Terry

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Mechanic AH said:

7. CR01 — almost got one but hesitated because of some negative review vs the CR02. But maybe it qualifies for the criteria.

Is there confusion here between the CC01 and CR01

They are very different beasts and the CR01 hasn't been updated / replaced.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Badcrumble said:

They are very different beasts and the CR01 hasn't been updated / replaced.

I think there was a type-o.  OP was thinking CC01 when he typed CR01. 

As far as CC01 and CR01, as others, I have both of them and my thought is neither are true performance crawlers when compared to other brands.. However the CC01's are what I would consider 'scale crawlers' for realism.  When painted properly and driven properly with lots of practice modulating the throttle, they can be very appealing to watch.  :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Super ally said:

Dont think you would get away with any if you are over 25.😒

I am way over 25. I would have no probs using in public,with no grand kids with me,a  Astute,Egress or MK1 Hotshot.

Would have no issue with almost all Axials and traxxas`s or is that Trax`i, in plural ?

Thanks @Juggular for all those examples/photos. 

20 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

5: a 4x2 Euro rig is around the same footprint as a 1:10 touring car, so doesn't take up much more space on the shelf, unless you add a trailer (which is a lot more expense).  The Globe Liner is the shortest of the US rigs.

Good point. I started looking at photos and it didn't seem too big, even the box. I probably have to build one without the MFCU—that thing is expensive! And yes, I wouldn'tt get a trailer.

As for the ORV, last year I almost bought the blue edition Subaru Brat but waited too long. 

13 hours ago, Badcrumble said:

Sorry about that, I was referring to CC01 but instead posted CR01.

• Like 1

I get CR01 and CW01 confused all the time...

Maybe because they both spell "Crawl" in my head.  

Just now, Juggular said:

I get CR01 and CW01 confused all the time...

Maybe because they both spell "Crawl" in my head.  

Yeah haha makes sense. By they way, those kits you mentioned some I've never seen and looks terrible. Reminds of the time I came across the Wild Ceptor. Always wonder how it runs. 

tamiya-57606-tamiya-rc-wild-ceptor-4wd__56093.1581958665.jpg

• Like 1

I vaguely remember seeing them on catalogues or something.  

Tamiya kept making suspensions stiffer and stiffer... finally they thought, "having no suspension could be the greatest invention!" I'm kidding, of course.  (Maybe these had to do with some Japanese comic book about slot cars or something?)  

For me, what distinguished RC cars from toys was the working suspension.  One of the reasons why TXT-1 and CR-01 did well was because they have good suspensions, I think.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Basing my decision on "which car would I sigh heaviest over being told to rebuild" I'd go with the CR-01. I still wake up in a cold sweat remembering doing all those M2.5 screws in the beadlocks. If ever there was an incentive not to impulse buy replacement tyres, that would be it! (shudders)

I think the engineering in the chassis is brilliant, and for me it's a very underrated truck - I'd say it definitely needs a few upgrades like the bent lower arms and better dampers, but overall it's a really capable and impressive beast. My issue with it (other than the beadlocks, but then I guess they are common across every crawler) is when it comes to servicing/modifying it - as you quickly discover there was a lot of logic in the way the build is arranged, as to try and get to something out of order will result in cut knuckles, raised blood pressure and lots of mutterings of "how on earth am I suppose to undo that...!?" Still love it though. :) 

I've owned a Lunchie and a Pumpkin (have I mentioned how I regret selling my Pumpkin? Oh, I have? 1000 times? oh...... ;) ) and out the box they are very, very basic. But then, if they are looked at as a gateway to RC they are nigh on perfect, as you can buy, build and run with a good dose of fun in an afternoon, and what's not to love about that? 

For a seasoned builder, it's boring, and if you appreciate a well balanced, responsive buggy, you are looking in entirely the wrong direction. I remember me and a mate took our crawlers (my CR-01 and his TX4) out for a run and afterwards he dug his lunchie out of the back of the car. "Fancy a go?" he asked, as he kangarooed it up and down the carpark. "No, I'm good thanks....."

One aspect of one chassis that really irks me is the ORV and it's sunken screws that only allow a very select few screwdrivers to fit. A genius design if you happen to sell screwdrivers...... So for me, to answer the OP question of which build every fan should build, it's the ORV as it'll make you buy a proper JIS screwdriver that you'll be forever glad you got :)

• Like 3

On 8/19/2021 at 2:59 AM, Mechanic AH said:

Haha! I wasn't paying much attention and I meant CC01 vs CC02. Was just seeing CC01 instead of CR01 as the recommendation.

Nice one! Makes want to build one. I remember seeing those two similar halves from the Tamiya catalog. Have to revisit it.

Had the same thought about the TT02. It's almost better to be the worst if not the best at something instead of just being mediocre. Perhaps it's the reason why I haven't pulled the trigger on a TT02.

If I can give you one bit of advice when you get around to building the cr-01 is read the instructions first so nothing trips you up because I found the mistakes I made I didn't realise until quite a few pages after then I had to basically strip it back down and that happened time and time again😟 but like I say it was probably more me than the kit!

• Thanks 1

How DARE any of you speak ill of the ORV chassis! HERETICS! :lol: I agree they aren't a top performing architecture based on modern stuff - but if you take a Blackfoot or MB, swap to a lexan body, throw out the stock servo saver for an aftermarket piece, and run a lower profile tire (think Proline Dirt Hawgs or similar) they wake up a lot, are relatively durable, and just look amazing bouncing around.

Now to make everyone angry...the Bruiser / Mountain Rider. It needed to be said. I can't think of a vehicle that exceeds it in terms of price, complexity, and underwhelming performance. They're super heavy, slow, and without some decent modifications (front-mount servo at a BARE minimum) they handle like drunk penguins.

But...BUT...I love mine. With a light kit, hotter motor (27T brushed, geared up 2 teeth), and servo fix, they look and feel very "scale". Sure, they're relatively slow and heavy, but so is a real truck.

I'd argue there are no "bad" Tamiyas....

Except the new Avante. But I'll still buy one. LOL

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Every "true" Tamiya fan should experience the joys of building a solid axle re-re, only to roll over and partly destroy the body on their first drive!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Kowalski86 said:

Every "true" Tamiya fan should experience the joys of building a solid axle re-re, only to roll over and partly destroy the body on their first drive!

My very first Tamiya RC was the Lunchbox, in 2009. Somehow that did not put me off RC but I stopped painting hard bodies.

• Like 1