Jonathon Gillham

Sandscorcher - how much paint?

I'm planning to paint my Sandscorcher boxart.

How many cans each of the blue and white will i need?

Do I need a primer, and if, do Tamiya make it and how many cans will i need?

Any tips appreciated!

I used 1 can of white fine surface primer. 3 cans of white - I made the white layer deliberately quite thick so that I could gently sand off the inevitable bleed or two from the blue without going through to the primer.

Then 1 can of blue and one can of clear. I would think you will need more than one can of clear if you intend to seal in the stickers.

• Like 1

I have no experience with the TS paints myself as they are hard to get around here, so use Automotive Paints. So they are 1 Primer, 1 White , 1 Blue, 1 Clear Coat as they are generally 150ml or more compared to Tamiya’s 100. A light sand with 1500 wet and dry in between coats with them for the best results.

I would advise dry fitting the nose cone prior to painting as well as I found all 3 I’ve done needed a bit of sanding at the join to get it nice and even, when I’m happy with it I then bolt it on and spray over the fixings to hide them a bit better as well.

E74555AF-C3B3-4E9C-BA81-E2171C92518C.md.

Good luck with it 👍🏻

• Like 2

Thanks @Fuijo and @Re-Bugged for the quick response.

Just checking - TS13 is the clear coat right?

Unfortunately I can't get all of it from one shop, 2 orders, since no shop has everything in stock.  Oh well, at least I can get it.

NZ has just gone into lockdown again and my wife is a teacher at the school with a case, so we're isolating for a couple of weeks.  May as well paint a scorcher (and a Mondeo, and a new TC race body...)

I see people mention filler - what do you use?  I have just 2 pot builders bog, I assume that will be ok?

I use bondo body filler for imperfections. One can of primer. Two cans of white two cans of blue and two cans of clear. You probably won’t finish the second can of color coats. You should finish the clear. Before spraying the blue. Seal the edges your tape with light mistings of clear. 

I'm going to be painting mine in a matte drab finish.. 1 can of black for interior and entire bottom of the body. 2 cans of main drab with over spray for rough finish, 1 cans of secondary color for the masked kidneys and fender flares with over spray to the bottom side.