used to sell the odd thing years ago on ebay and used to say about 5% was stopped,then 10%

read that ebay has now got a new system with paypal etc and read 12.8% is about right.

I had to put something on ebay ,no luck on FB. I put normal ad in,no extras. needed £50 so put starting price at £50,it went for £50. £2.99 for posting,which cost £3.

I ended up with £9.97 stoppages,it that correct? that around 20% ???? not great at this sort of stuff.

not sure if the starting price system as changed?

Yiup - eBay now handle your payments

What used to take Paypal milliseconds now takes eBay 4 days, but they're 0.01% cheaper, when you take all the charges into consideration - eBay's 10% + 2.7777777779 is cheaper than 10% + Paypal's 2.8%

If you're an old fart like me that doesn't do Facebook, try Facebook first - eBay is my last resort

eBay do have a helluva lot of 'offer' periods where fees are fixed at £1 etc. , list during these for best value

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Try to list when the fees offers are on . They started a max £1 total fees , then it kicked up to £3 max total fees , now it has become 80% discount on total fees - variable + 30p standard fee , so that's acceptable for high value sales like £150 - £200 ( around £5 fees ) , but £1 max was so much better . I guess £1 max was the Spratt to catch the proverbial ;)

Don't forget to add on a percentage onto your postage costs otherwise eBay will leave you short and you will subsidise the postage yourself . As you said you charged £2.99p and the postage was £3 actual , £2.99p would end up less after eBay fees so you paid more than 1p yourself towards the postage

18 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

If you're an old fart like me that doesn't do Facebook

I don't do FB either so we are 2 farts blowing in the wind

image.jpeg.364c6c5474b14c033dceeff70112df40.jpeg

48 minutes ago, KEV THE REV said:

I don't do FB either so we are 2 farts blowing in the wind

I do do FB, it's a great place to flog stuff locally  - Might not have the same range as eBay, but it's free.
FB groups are a great targeted marketplace.

So far, I sold a couple of boats, a MTB,  a caravan, a few table saws, routers, etc. wood burning stoves and all fee-free

fb.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TWINSET said:

If you're an old fart like me that doesn't do Facebook

I must have read that wrong  ;)

1 hour ago, KEV THE REV said:

Don't worry, I'm an old anti FB fart😶

8 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

I'm with you... and I even read it twice... 🤨

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KEV THE REV said:

You missed out all the stuff in my head - I've added it now :lol:

If you're an old fart like me, but one that doesn't do Facebook

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, TWINSET said:

Yiup - eBay now handle your payments

What used to take Paypal milliseconds now takes eBay 4 days, but they're 0.01% cheaper, when you take all the charges into consideration - eBay's 10% + 2.7777777779 is cheaper than 10% + Paypal's 2.8%

If you're an old fart like me that doesn't do Facebook, try Facebook first - eBay is my last resort

eBay do have a helluva lot of 'offer' periods where fees are fixed at £1 etc. , list during these for best value

Try to mention that the 1£ is only for UK.

us de and others doesnt have these offers

• Like 1

I deleted my ebay sellers account since last change of their policy. Its a bit stupit for people who dont know any other part sources but I dont play any game under any conditions. And to be honest, I hope lot of private sellers will go the same way and I further hope, there will be a new platform alternative also.

• Like 1

I’ve used eBay for years to buy and sell everything from $2 rubbish to very expensive camera gear. But eBay has got worse and worse and the new managed payment system is ludicrous. 

I now list with buy it now and always include “please contact before bidding”. When someone gets in touch I then sell direct.

I’ve also started contacting sellers to ask if I can purchase direct. Most agree and will drop the price a little as they are avoiding fees.

On 9/4/2021 at 6:30 AM, GeeWings said:

I’ve used eBay for years to buy and sell everything from $2 rubbish to very expensive camera gear. But eBay has got worse and worse and the new managed payment system is ludicrous. 

I now list with buy it now and always include “please contact before bidding”. When someone gets in touch I then sell direct.

I’ve also started contacting sellers to ask if I can purchase direct. Most agree and will drop the price a little as they are avoiding fees.

How do you contact buyers and sellers direct without eBay realizing the intention to sell/buy direct?

I have been selling in eBay for a while and also stopped thanks to their new payment system.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, OoALEJOoO said:

How do you contact buyers and sellers direct without eBay realizing the intention to sell/buy direct?

I have been selling in eBay for a while and also stopped thanks to their new payment system.

I tend to provide my email address with a lot of

s   p      a       c   e    s  

between letters so the filter doesn’t pick it up!

• Like 1

Ebay payments are within 1 day now, just a heads up.

The new 80% offer trumps the old £1 offer too if it was a PayPal payment. Sometimes they still do the £1 offer on ebay payments too but the 80% one is more common.

45692899_1.jpg

• Like 2

eBay are now deciding when to release funds though
Buyer hasn't collected from Post Office yet, so eBay are hanging on to my £47

UntiVtled.png

• Sad 1

I've noticed that selling low value items without any sales promo offers is not a good thing on eBay , the f.v. fees outway any real profit . New platforms might give eBay a run for their money though - Vinted for example started as a clothes sales market place with no sales fees , to now introducing homeware goods sales and a few RC items have already crept in , so maybe the young guns are here ?

eBay (UK at least) are regularly cutting their FVF with offers though - last one was FVF £1 if you bought anything on eBay before listing.
I only list when there's offers now, but now eBay are holding money back because the buyer can't be bothered to go get the stuff, I probably won't list much more.

18 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

but now eBay are holding money back because the buyer can't be bothered to go get the stuff, I probably won't list much more.

I think a lot of private 'now and again' sellers will probably chuck it in too

I guess no one has been to a real auction house. The fees are a lot higher for both buyer and seller.

eBay is not cheap but it is a cheap way to sell and get paid through a 3rd party

5 hours ago, TWINSET said:

eBay are now deciding when to release funds though
Buyer hasn't collected from Post Office yet, so eBay are hanging on to my £47

UntiVtled.png

That's very odd. I haven't had anything like that so far. In fact, the payment time for me has reduced to within 24 hours.

I often get the payment before I've even printed out a shipping label.

Do you sell regularly? How long for?

3 hours ago, nowinaminute said:

I often get the payment before I've even printed out a shipping label.

Do you sell regularly? How long for?

I got notification of payment received immediately, but then eBay has held on to the funds for some reason.
I don't sell all that regularly any more, but this was the lowest value item for about 9 months, previous stuff like XBox Elite controllers, GPS handsets, gaming keyboards etc. have gone thru unchallenged but, for some reason, a body set attracts a little extra caution from eBay:lol:

There was no message to say they were holding the funds, it was only today when I checked that I realised they hadn't paid out.
I received messages to say the item sold, and another that the seller had paid, but nothing to say the funds were held - They obviously don't want sellers backing out of deals!

On 10/25/2021 at 9:11 AM, nowinaminute said:

Ebay payments are within 1 day now, just a heads up.

The new 80% offer trumps the old £1 offer too if it was a PayPal payment. Sometimes they still do the £1 offer on ebay payments too but the 80% one is more common.

45692899_1.jpg

Cracking piece of work that!

My recent eBay catastrophe was them suddenly and without warning suspending my account and deleting all my listings (67) :(. When I contacted them the next day, after 2.5 hours on the phone being bounced from one department to another it turned out it was just a glitch. Their mistake. My account was still live, I just had no live listings

The majority of the listings had been listed during recent 80% off offers, but eBay refused to reinstate them under the same terms :angry:. Apparently they can't do it manually, it's only the all-powerful 'system' that can send out offers :rolleyes:

So now I'm sat waiting for another offer to come through before I relist them...

On 11/26/2021 at 11:48 AM, KEV THE REV said:

I think a lot of private 'now and again' sellers will probably chuck it in too

I already have, on the principle that there's no way I would give EBay bank account details and carte blanche to make charges whenever they feel like it.

It's ridiculous that they withhold payment until item has arrived as well. I recently tried to buy a graphics card on EBay, but the seller refused to post it until he'd been paid by EBay. He sent me screenshots showing EBay claiming he needed to update his bank account details, but according to him they were correct and up to date. In the end we mutually agreed to  cancel the transaction and I went and bought a card from CEx instead, as all their second stuff hand comes with a 2 year warranty. Don't get that from EBay....

As there seems to be a lot of dislike for EBay's new system here, and quite a few 'old farts' who refuse to use facebook (I'm in the demographic :) ), perhaps we could persuade Chris to add a 'non r/c' sales, trades, and wanted section, or a 'Swap shop' ? I can't remember ever selling anything RC on EBay since joining TC back in 2010. I always sell all my RC stuff on here,  touch wood I've never had a bad trade, and as I've been on here a decade most people seem happy enough to paypal me via F&F for small value items, and the few large value items I've sold, my sellers were happy to come and collect them, to have a good look before handing over the payment.

I'm guessing that a lot of us will have common interests outside of RC, I've seen several people express an interest in Lego for example, BMX, computer gaming, 3d printing, etc, so perhaps there might be a demand for this. I would certainly have been happy recently to swap some of my RC stuff for a decent PC graphics card, and I'm guessing there's people interested in Lego would take part payment for RC stuff in lego kits, or vice versa. 

Sure, I'm unlikely to find someone who wants to swap a County tractor for a War Rig, a scratch built skidder, and a car full of Lego, but for more common tradeable items it might work.

Just a thought.........

• Like 1

I'm with you guys I've stopped selling on E bay , I still buy stuff, but my preference has always been Paypal where the payment is instant and can be used straight away anywhere, ok you can use your funds as soon as the payment is cleared but only on E bay, the last item I sold on E bay the payment took 4 days to reach my bank account, I had thought it was just me who disagreed with E bays tactics but it would appear not.