StanFam

Sand Viper battery cage size

I am planning out what electronics I have to get for the Sand Viper, and I'm wanting to know how long the battery cage is so I can narrow that my list of options for batteries.  Also, if anyone has any recommendations on LiPos for the Sand Viper, please let me know.  Thanks!

I don't have mine to hand for measuring right now, but I know the Core RC rounded LiPo 2s packs from Modelsport fit with room to spare. If nobody posts measurements by tomorrow evening, I'll be able to access mine and measure it for you. 

Edit:

The battery bay is 50mm wide, 25mm tall and 145mm long.

At the front there are two little 6mm by 6mm protrusions, non-structural and easily removed with side cutters or a Dremel.

• Like 1

Also, I just read this article about LiPos and it seems like the act of caring for them is really time consuming and expensive.  I already have an Imax B6ac charger, but how much should I be figuring to spend in time and money on top of the batteries themselves, and how much of a difference of speed is it going to be if I just did brushed+nimh(I'm thinking a sport-tuned 540 brushed versus 3300kv brushless and 2s lipo).

Edited by StanFam
clarification

Knock on wood…

I treat my Lipos exactly like my Nimhs and I haven’t had an issue.  I charge outside, on the driveway, with a flower pot.  And I hardly ever do the storage charge thing. I just make sure to use the LiPo balance charge setting…

The benefits in increased speed, less weight, and longer run times make it worth the extra expense…

IMO…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StanFam said:

Also, I just read this article about LiPos and it seems like the act of caring for them is really time consuming and expensive. 

Not at all. That article contained a fair bit of superfluous information.

How much should I be figuring to spend in time and money on top of the batteries themselves.

You'll spend a bit of extra time charging them and putting them into storage charge if needed. The only extra expense is a LiPo charge bag or a suitable container. I only use mine if I'm at a race meet. I use hardcase LiPo's.

How much of a difference of speed is it going to be if I just did brushed+nimh(I'm thinking a sport-tuned 540 brushed versus 3300kv brushless and 2s lipo).

An equivalent LiPo pack is about half the weight of a NiMH pack. This combined with the extra power from the brushless motor will significantly increase acceleration and top speed.

• Like 1

Ok, thanks with the help.  Still wondering about my original question though:

23 hours ago, StanFam said:

I am planning out what electronics I have to get for the Sand Viper, and I'm wanting to know how long the battery cage is so I can narrow that my list of options for batteries. 

Might this help???

"DT-01 & DT-02: regular hardcase LiPos won't fit due to their length. The 134mm short Jamara #141390 stickpack LiPo however is just perfect for these battery compartments, if you don't want to modify anything. I have tried it out successfully, and this battery has been mentioned in numerous threads on TC."

Removed the battery lid and did this to the plastic tabs in the battery compartment at the front facing end so the battery will fit/lie flat:

IMG_5815.JPG

I use an elastic band around the chassis and over the battery to keep it tightly in place.  Measurements of the gens ace 2s battery:

Length: 136mm

Width: 45mm

Depth: 24mm

IMG_5816.JPG

• Like 1

Cool.  That plug came with the imax charger I got, so I don't have to get a new one.  Do you know what C rating I should get for a battery with the motor in that combo?

• Like 1

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezrun-max10-esc?variant=26983763784

"Minimum 70C suggested, lower C rating may be okay, however it will not provide the intended experience. Also, How Power Plugs must be used. The surface area of your plugs, must be "larger" than the wires installed or you will very likely have problems. TRX, "T Plug", EC plugs, and "Deans" are not suggested for today's upgraded electronics setups."

Thanks.  Where would be the best online place to compare and buy batteries? Or should I just look at the 20 different online hobby shops and see what they have.

So far I have only used the two pictured 2s batteries in the DT02 battery compartment, although there are probably others but the floureon is only 25c and the gens ace is 50c but I am only using a brushed motor so it goes pretty quick on those.  Those with hard-wiring instead of battery lead holes may stick out too far to fit in the battery compartment. 

Best online model shops by my experience:

modelsport https://www.modelsport.co.uk/

make it build it https://www.makeitbuildit.co.uk/

wheelspin https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/

Having a little difficulty finding those gens ace batteries with the holes rather then the wires already on. However, I live in the US so maybe that has something to do with it.  The one I've found so far is this, but they're 138 mm. I don't know if you measured your batteries or the total space in your modified battery cage.

Edit: This though is 135 mm, but is $10 more expensive.

Yes, all the model shops listed are in the U.K. and maybe certain batteries are mainly available in certain countries.  The measurement of the gens ace is the battery measurements but you might get away with a slightly longer battery than 136mm if you cut away a bit more of the plastic tabs.  There isn't much extra space for the depth 24mm, it only just slides inside the compartment (top edge to bottom of the compartment) but there is a bit of extra space in the compartment on the width so maybe a couple of mm over 45mm would be ok.

54 minutes ago, StanFam said:

Having a little difficulty finding those gens ace batteries with the holes rather then the wires already on. However, I live in the US so maybe that has something to do with it.  The one I've found so far is this, but they're 138 mm. I don't know if you measured your batteries or the total space in your modified battery cage.

Edit: This though is 135 mm, but is $10 more expensive.

Size looks good, its a soft-case lipo rather than hard-case so not able to withstand so much rough enviroments but the DT02 battery compartment protects the battery well so probably not a problem.

Check the wired XT60 connector on that battery it says it comes with a wired male connector, make sure it fits your charger and the max 10 esc.  My charger and esc have a male xt60 connector and needs a female xt60 on the battery.

10024.png

It's seeming difficult to find a 5Ah 2s lipo that's within those size parameters and has an XT60 connector online.