Just wondering if pinions from different manufacturers have the exact profile/shape of teeth? I need a 0.6M pinion and I’m wondering if it is good practice to use say a Yeah racing or Schumacher pinion for Tamiya. Is it best to stick with Tamiya pinions to ensure the profile is identical?

any feedback much appreciated 

I have used Yeah Racing pinions that were "for Tamiya" and meshed perfectly with the Tamiya spurs, all with a module of 0.6.

Hope this helps.

I've always used Robinson Racing pinions, never had a problem.  

Gears, much like screws, are a pretty standardized commodity, and hence have a universal set of measurements that tend to be quite reliable in ensuring they all work together, as long as they have the same pitch/module.

A 0.6 mod pinion from ANY manufacturer should work just fine with a 0.6 mod spur gear from Tamiya, and so forth.

Well gears, much like screws, can be made poorly.

Do not buy stuff like this from "ANY manufacturer", buy them from reliable manufacturers that have proven credibility. Or watch them eat your spur gears.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, djmcnz said:

Well gears, much like screws, can be made poorly.

Do not buy stuff like this from "ANY manufacturer", buy them from reliable manufacturers that have proven credibility. Or watch them eat your spur gears.

I apologize for not being more clear in my statement. 

I am not condoning the purchase of sub-standard material; you are right, quality makes a difference of course. I was merely commenting on the fact that gears use a standardized measurement system, and are not manufacturer-specific.

Hope that straightens things out.