87lc2

Alternate Colors for Monster Beetle

Just ordered a MB  2015 and thinking of not going with box art.  Will most likley be using the kit decals, but wondering what other colors would work here.  If anyone has done a MB in another color please post up pictures, would love to see them.   

I was initially thinking a dark racing green type of color and thought it would work well with the gold wheels and red chassis, but now I'm not too sure.  Thanks in advance. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve also been thinking about alternate colours for my upcoming MB build, looking forward to what turns up here

The kit decals are a bit of a weird colour mix that’s quite restrictive IMO, but getting a repro set from MCI and changing the colours opens up loads of possibilities. Mine was a Black Edition, so I went for an extension of that theme. A year later and I still haven’t painted the driver or finished it though 🙄

spacer.png

• Like 6

I'm assuming folks have seen my GF01TR Beetle.. (?)   The body is obviously smaller and headlights are different, but still a Beetle..

• Like 1

Mine was a Black Edition, and I decided to do my own thing on it just using a few of the Sponsors Decals on it….

2D8A3F57-7B65-4808-837E-8C083A99CD35.jpg

I’ve seen a Metallic Blue one with the original Decals on the red chassis and that looked pretty neat.

A Wild Willy in the drivers seat doesn’t look out of place either..

82918F79-648F-4A57-AC54-957A8C9F6FF5.jpg

It’s hard to go wrong really with these classic VW body’s.

• Like 8

Dark green would be killer with the gold your right. Id think you'd have to paint the chassis tho, just my .02

Theres a dude selling repop decal kits on ebay and there are custom colors. They dont look like the best quality but look decent enough.

8 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

Mine was a Black Edition, and I decided to do my own thing on it just using a few of the Sponsors Decals on it….

2D8A3F57-7B65-4808-837E-8C083A99CD35.jpg

I’ve seen a Metallic Blue one with the original Decals on the red chassis and that looked pretty neat.

A Wild Willy in the drivers seat doesn’t look out of place either..

82918F79-648F-4A57-AC54-957A8C9F6FF5.jpg

It’s hard to go wrong really with these classic VW body’s.

This one @Re-Bugged? I could’ve posted this as an idea in my earlier post, it is an original

image.thumb.jpeg.37d1995a3c82b7fef6b85f72695d08b2.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Rider400 said:

Dark green would be killer with the gold your right. Id think you'd have to paint the chassis tho, just my .02

Theres a dude selling repop decal kits on ebay and there are custom colors. They dont look like the best quality but look decent enough.

That's what I thought, green would look off with the red chassis.  

Thanks for the replies guys, keep them coming. 

Metallic Blue looks pretty nice, also think gunmetal/charcoal might look good but a bit boring.  I usually never have a problem choosing a color, but with the red chassis/gold wheels it really needs to blend well. 

Took a look at the decals on Ebay and definitley like these, but not sure how it would go with the chassis/wheels - https://www.ebay.com/itm/193947685794?hash=item2d282ed3a2:g:jkAAAOSw5KBgSh3V    I've bought from this seller before, their decals are nice.  

5 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Metallic Blue looks pretty nice, also think gunmetal/charcoal might look good but a bit boring.  I usually never have a problem choosing a color, but with the red chassis/gold wheels it really needs to blend well. 

Took a look at the decals on Ebay and definitley like these, but not sure how it would go with the chassis/wheels - https://www.ebay.com/itm/193947685794?hash=item2d282ed3a2:g:jkAAAOSw5KBgSh3V    I've bought from this seller before, their decals are nice.  

That was the seller I was referring to as well. Good to know they are decent quality. That color way you linked would be really dope on a black body.

2 minutes ago, Rider400 said:

That was the seller I was referring to as well. Good to know they are decent quality. That color way you linked would be really dope on a black body.

Yea, I was thinking black body for those decals...Probaby won't bother with new decals, no reason to waste the kit decals and you don't get better quality than Tamiya in that department anyway.  I love applying Tamiys decals, best around in my opinion. 

For some reason dark green is stuck in my head, but I know it won't work with the red chassis.  I hae no problem painting the chassis black, but will the material hold the paint?  This is going to get run pretty hard so if I paint want to make sure it will hold.  Anyone paint these chassis with good results? 

Still open to colors, keep them coming.  

There is somewhere on TC a very nice metallic green MB.

It was posted in the last year, I can’t remember the name of the original poster, just that they did not enjoy the build at all and that to me the colour looked fantastic. 

8 minutes ago, Grumpy pants said:

There is somewhere on TC a very nice metallic green MB.

It was posted in the last year, I can’t remember the name of the original poster, just that they did not enjoy the build at all and that to me the colour looked fantastic. 

Guess I'll do some searching, thanks.  I dont think I've ever not enjoyed a Tamiya build...Just built the Blackfoot 2016 and am ready to do it again with a Beetle body :)  

• Like 2

Hard to get the original decals working once you go away from the original or plain primary colours since they take up so much area if you do them all. I left mine in gloss red without the decals as the paintwork looks so good it seemed to be a shame to hide it by putting them on it.

No decals look good.  The purple with red chassis works.  The green worked with red chassis and yellow wheels and lastly a two tone grey with dark grey chassis.  The yellow shocks I thought looked ok with the gold wheels and a yellow painted driver 😊

6EFA9E68-E677-4689-A7CB-C38850DC4317.jpeg

963724D2-F41E-400C-97B8-5BE5F105DD90.jpeg

B80A08DD-CBEA-4AA3-BE05-20E1E30A43BC.jpeg

• Like 4

On 8/24/2021 at 10:52 PM, 87lc2 said:

That's what I thought, green would look off with the red chassis.  

Not during the festive season :ph34r:

Can you still buy the dark gray chassis tree from the blue Subaru Bart?

3 hours ago, berman said:

Not during the festive season :ph34r:

Can you still buy the dark gray chassis tree from the blue Subaru Bart?

The Dark grey chassis is also used on the Black Edition MB.

Although not quite Dark Green but close (Holden Prussian Steel) I think sits well on the original Brat/Frog coloured Chassis, if the Grey isn’t available, and works with the Gold too. I was never that keen on the original colour chassis till I did this..

A41FB7C4-716E-4DFB-9DB9-95B75132CF84.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, pengoo said:

20180225_181547.jpg

I like that, definitely a possibility.

I haven't seen the grey chassis around, but that could definitely work.  

I was looking at my trucks/Monsters last night and I have a metallic blue lunchie, metallic blue Monster Beetle, Silver Blackfoot, Black Clod, Gun Metal Big Bear, so now I’m thinking a red Monster Beetle May work, anyone done one in like metallic or pearl red?