87lc2

Alternate Colors for Monster Beetle

On 8/24/2021 at 6:42 PM, 87lc2 said:

Yea, I was thinking black body for those decals...Probaby won't bother with new decals, no reason to waste the kit decals and you don't get better quality than Tamiya in that department anyway.  I love applying Tamiys decals, best around in my opinion. 

For some reason dark green is stuck in my head, but I know it won't work with the red chassis.  I hae no problem painting the chassis black, but will the material hold the paint?  This is going to get run pretty hard so if I paint want to make sure it will hold.  Anyone paint these chassis with good results? 

Still open to colors, keep them coming.  

The chassis will get donked on the underside and will remove any paint on it no matter how well it’s prepped.  Personally I wouldn’t bother painting the chassis because of that.   The red chassis best suits a body in red, grey,  green and purple.  The original monster beetle decals with the colour flash don’t really suit any colour other than red which is a pain.  So either don’t apply those particular decals or get creative and cut out/remove the colour that clashes with your preferred dark green.  Loose the blue part I reckon.   Just an idea though 🙂

• Like 1

The Blockhead Beetle paint job has a cool vintage look, not the easiest to do I imagine!

51417283999_8a94a40f1d_b.jpg

• Like 8

On 8/23/2021 at 5:13 PM, 87lc2 said:

If anyone has done a MB in another color please post up pictures, would love to see them.   

Our old friend @Connor did I dunno like fifty different cool Monster Beetle color schemes over a decade ago. Too bad he had to leave. Anyway, you can check most them in his showroom. Here's a link: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=29259

• Like 2

Here's mine.  Built from left overs from my original Frog after I rebuilt it and Blackfoot parts I already had as I did a conversion on said Frog 30 years ago.  Had a Blitzer Beetle shell already and used MCI decals.  Installed an MIP diff and a Trinity Speed Gems Onyx.  Paint is Tamiya TS52 Candy Lime Green with Tamiya Pearl Clear.

IMG_1936.thumb.JPG.587e2b5b12f4bf0dd39a0e5fec378813.JPG

CJAN5034.thumb.JPG.6a2b2481f16fd4d4d7702dd343e2a2b6.JPG

• Like 6

I’ve been thinking of just a simple red and orange sides classic vw scheme.  It should go nicely with the red chassis and gold wheels.

• Like 2

I want to thanks everybody for their suggestions, was a fun thread.  Ended up going with box art in the end and I'm glad I did, Tamiya got the colors/decals perfect on the original.  So just another boring Monster Beetle rere, but I love it.  She's going to get run a lot along with my BF 2016. 

1.JPG

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1125.JPG

IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1147.JPG

• Like 6

On 8/24/2021 at 2:16 PM, Grumpy pants said:

There is somewhere on TC a very nice metallic green MB.

It was posted in the last year, I can’t remember the name of the original poster, just that they did not enjoy the build at all and that to me the colour looked fantastic. 

On 8/24/2021 at 2:26 PM, 87lc2 said:

Guess I'll do some searching, thanks.  I dont think I've ever not enjoyed a Tamiya build...Just built the Blackfoot 2016 and am ready to do it again with a Beetle body :)  

I think you guys might be talking about me.  Is this the MB you are referring to?  Yeah, I didn't like the build of this one at all.  I'm also including the pic of where its been sitting untouched since last year...  I never ran it.  Kinda lost interest in it.  Willing to sell it for a fair price.  Only bench tested, full bearings, hi-tourq steering servo, 2.4g radio. Goolric modified motor from aliexpress but still have the manual and original motor.  Drop in a charged battery and your ready to rip.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed2.jpg

unnamed3.jpg

877887.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Flare65 said:

I think you guys might be talking about me.  Is this the MB you are referring to?  Yeah, I didn't like the build of this one at all.  I'm also including the pic of where its been sitting untouched since last year...  I never ran it.  Kinda lost interest in it.  Willing to sell it for a fair price.  Only bench tested, full bearings, hi-tourq steering servo, 2.4g radio. Goolric modified motor from aliexpress but still have the manual and original motor.  Drop in a charged battery and your ready to rip.

unnamed.jpg

unnamed2.jpg

unnamed3.jpg

877887.jpeg

Yep that’s the MB 👍

Stick in the for sale section for a wider audience. 

On 8/23/2021 at 2:13 PM, 87lc2 said:

Just ordered a MB  2015 and thinking of not going with box art.  Will most likley be using the kit decals, but wondering what other colors would work here.  If anyone has done a MB in another color please post up pictures, would love to see them.   

I was initially thinking a dark racing green type of color and thought it would work well with the gold wheels and red chassis, but now I'm not too sure.  Thanks in advance. 

I think it would look like a Christmas present in that the british racing green would clash pretty bad with the red and gold.  Good call on box art it looks sharp!  I will be doing the same.  Wish I could have gotten a Black edition Beetle.

• Like 1

If doing a British Green, I would paint the wheels bronze.  Would look really good.. and leave the decals to a minimum.   I really like @candyman212's theme.  Very classy look.  

Also @Toolmaker72's graphite looks superb all around with the darker chassis color.  

Need some advice.  Painted my MB Italian red, finished the trim etc.  accidentally added flat clear coat TS80 Flat Clear.   I was suppose to use glossy. Two questions:

1. leave it the way it is?  See photo below

2. or can I add a glossy coat over the flat coat?  Any special prep required?

overall I plan to add the decals and make it 95% similar to box art. 

thanks in advance

DB56422F-5328-43EC-ADF4-33FCF62E8D69.jpeg

5A01C206-4D53-46D4-A516-AF4860709C64.jpeg

F1AC83ED-11D6-4D5F-8194-D66E71D0B68D.jpeg

• Like 3

@Frankster I'd leave it as is.  That dull finish looks very good.  

I used a battleship dull red TS33 on my custom comical version along with olive drab and it just looks so cool with matte finish.  (click my sig or check my profile for pictures, white balance is off on my pictures..the red actually looks more like your red) ..

I'd run gunmetal or black wheels to complement that color..  GL with whatever you decide. 

Agreed, I'd leave it as is.  Not sure what would happen if you put gloss clear over that, but if you're thinking about it I'd test it on something else first...

Thanks @Willy iine and @87lc2  I have always wanted a monster beetle and now as I am on my second childhood I have one now. The MB is too much of a classic to mess with. I want to keep the first one box art and other future ones modded. I actually tried to make it metallic red (add a little bling) but did not work out as it is too dark.  Ended up painting over metallic red with Italian red. 

good point @Willy iine, I would need to paint the gold chrome wheels matte as well and I am not prepared to do that… yet

2025BDAC-C286-4A35-8E01-287B0E19A8B7.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 87lc2 said:

Agreed, I'd leave it as is.  Not sure what would happen if you put gloss clear over that, but if you're thinking about it I'd test it on something else first...

Good idea. Maybe I will test it on the sunroof first. 

@Frankster That metallic looks good.  With that new red color your gold wheels compliment it very well, I think.  GL with the rest of the project!  

(don't forget to paint your tail lamp piece red too..)

Nice looking MB.  I hardly see any with the fog lights but it looks good.  What tires are you running?

4 hours ago, LongRat said:

IMG_20190826_142437213.jpg

Ah, I have the lights but they snapped off. Need to fix that, looks better with them. Tyres are Lunch Box, much more stable handling with them.

On 10/16/2021 at 5:29 PM, Frankster said:

Need some advice.  Painted my MB Italian red, finished the trim etc.  accidentally added flat clear coat TS80 Flat Clear.   I was suppose to use glossy. Two questions:

1. leave it the way it is?  See photo below

2. or can I add a glossy coat over the flat coat?  Any special prep required?

overall I plan to add the decals and make it 95% similar to box art. 

thanks in advance

DB56422F-5328-43EC-ADF4-33FCF62E8D69.jpeg

5A01C206-4D53-46D4-A516-AF4860709C64.jpeg

F1AC83ED-11D6-4D5F-8194-D66E71D0B68D.jpeg

That's ace, it's almost like red oxide primer !! 👍 I would leave the decals off and make it like a road car that's transformed into a monster beetle.

James.