Juggular

Silencer for muffler?

Is there a way to reduce the engine noise?  

Most people want noise. But I'm living among retirees, who do not appreciate noises.  Are there silencers for mufflers?   

On 8/26/2021 at 9:44 PM, Juggular said:

Most people want noise. But I'm living among retirees, who do not appreciate noises.  Are there silencers for mufflers?   

Never seen anything specific to reduce noise. The oil catcher I have fitted to my runner Bison does help in some way.

• Thanks 1

I've read about making a muffler from tube with mesh / gauze rolled into it and fitted to the exhaust end pipe , but not sure about upsetting the flow of the exhaust gas / overheating issues

• Thanks 1

Adding baffles or reducing the size of the exit orifice will reduce noise.  I do know that older HPI tuned pipes would unscrew in the middle where a perforated disc could be inserted to reduce noise.

The old hot-rodder trick to sign off noise citations for 1:1’s was to stuff the muffler with stainless scouring pads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, acprc said:

The oil catcher I have fitted to my runner Bison does help in some way.

That seems interesting. What does it look like?  If it's not commercially available anymore, maybe I could fashion it out of brass sheets or something?  I wonder if mesh/gauze could be fitted to absorb the sound as well?  While I'm hesitant to reduce the effectiveness of tuned pipe by fitting things inside the pipe, stainless scrubbing wool could be fitted after the stinger!  (Assuming the oil catcher is fitted to it?)

It's great when TC members help my vague idea into something more tangible. I do appreciate it.  

On 8/29/2021 at 9:26 PM, Juggular said:

That seems interesting. What does it look like?  If it's not commercially available anymore, maybe I could fashion it out of brass sheets or something?  I wonder if mesh/gauze could be fitted to absorb the sound as well?  While I'm hesitant to reduce the effectiveness of tuned pipe by fitting things inside the pipe, stainless scrubbing wool could be fitted after the stinger!  (Assuming the oil catcher is fitted to it?)

It's great when TC members help my vague idea into something more tangible. I do appreciate it.  

Here is an ebay link to an active one

TAMIYA 41059 Oil Catcher - Tgs 'clr' Disc - RC Car Spares 638499001194 | eBay

If you dont want to click the link just search ebay for item 

eBay item number: 401630785986

Never used one myself but been interested in it for my TGS.

• Thanks 1

I heard there was an old Kyosho buggy that routed exhaust through the gear box to reduce noise and lube the gears. 
No idea If that’s true or accurate  though.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dakratfink said:

I heard there was an old Kyosho buggy that routed exhaust through the gear box to reduce noise and lube the gears. 
No idea If that’s true or accurate  though.

That's correct Kyosho did. You can see the output from the exhaust on the picture below going into the gearbox in step 44 and out again in step 46

image.png.75b5881a1c0b70783d6b97fd48b36f29.png

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2021 at 9:44 PM, Juggular said:

Actually a lot of the noise comes from the inlet induction noise that’s why 1/8th scale use an ins box to quieten it , it’s in the Brca  rules that it has to be fitted 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Disco said:

inlet induction noise

I haven't thought of that!  After taking care of the exhaust, I should think about that too.  

Hello, 

Today I built silencer from Lexan paint spray can. Make sure you empty it before drilling. I had made this video today for my friends, so I talk in Lithuanian, but you'll get the idea on how the sound level is reduced. Model is Kyosho Sandmaster with GT12 engine from around 1995.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yup, add volume to the intake/exhaust systems.  The number one thing for a 1:1 car to reduce intake/exhaust noise is to add volume to the mufflers, because if done correctly it minimizes changes to back pressure.  Yes, your 1:1 car air intake has a muffler, although it is conveniently also the air filter box.  If you see some oddly shaped blobs hanging off of the intake duct that otherwise aren't attached to anything they are likely helmholtz style resonators.

• Like 1

If you mess around with the pipe you are going to negatively affect the combustion and therefore the performance - the back pressure from the exhaust is very important in 2-strokes, which is why they are called a "tuned" pipe.

INS box is your best option.

PS nitro is noisy. Always will be. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 2:55 PM, sosidge said:

the back pressure from the exhaust is very important

That's so true.  Tamiya's mufflers are the worst in that regard. Mad Bison just has a square box.  

U2LlHy1.jpg

It bounces the exhaust right out of the sleeve. 

rY5j3n0.jpg

Having a tuned pipe definitely improves the performance. (Generally speaking, 8-15% improvement in horsepower and fuel saving of about 12%. Going from 0.5 hp to 0.55 isn't much, but it is noticeable.)  

5mF1X3Z.jpg

On 1:1 vehicles, whether it be 2/4 stroke, back pressure is desirable as the lack of it would give poor low down power and cause the engine to hunt at idle.  It really depends on your application/requirements, if you are chasing HP or whatever.

In the realms of the model world, secondary silencers are not an issue.  The important thing, for racing engines and tuned pipes, is that the length of the pipe from engine to internal cone of tune pipe is correct.  The shorter the distance , the higher the rpm.  In RC powerboats, secondary silencers do not have a negative effect on nitro/petrol engines.

Of course all engines would benefit from a tuned pipe, but not essential on basic engines, like the Mad Bison and Sandmaster.

• Like 1