matisse

Astutely Forward!!! - TD4 & TD2 builds

5 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

I agree that ball diffs are worth the effort and once you've got the knack it's much easier than tuning a gear diff with oil. I'd default to a gear diff up front, ball diff down back and a slipper. I'd run the gear diff dry on a loose surface first to see how the chassis behaved. The slipper would probably be harder to get perfect than the ball diff.

Sage advice 

• Like 1

Picking up on the shocks now that I’ve successfully used a caustic chemical with our damaging myself!….

The CC01 x DF03 mash up didn’t work, so I decided to investigate stripping the awful (imo) blue from the alloy parts. Tested on a TT01 drive shaft/cup combo which worked great and so cracked on with it.

During the process I noticed a patch of tarnish appear and it got me thinking that when I’d checked how the bright silver of e stripped drive cup looked against the flourine coating I was underwhelmed, so what if I deliberately tarnished all the shock parts?

Popped them back into the drain cleaner for 20-25 secs and let them all tarnish a bit. Rinsed off and “polished” with my polish rag that still has some autosol residue on, just to clean it up a tad. The result is, I think, pretty ******* cool.

A1C6B1CD-AE48-4CA9-BCC6-00AE3DDEA923.md.

You can see the effect of the deliberate tarnishing against the freshly stripped drive cup.

2DD41B64-E12C-4A1F-BE5E-A357F7FA7E19.md.

Muy Bueno.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, matisse said:

Picking up on the shocks now that I’ve successfully used a caustic chemical with our damaging myself!….

The CC01 x DF03 mash up didn’t work, so I decided to investigate stripping the awful (imo) blue from the alloy parts. Tested on a TT01 drive shaft/cup combo which worked great and so cracked on with it.

During the process I noticed a patch of tarnish appear and it got me thinking that when I’d checked how the bright silver of e stripped drive cup looked against the flourine coating I was underwhelmed, so what if I deliberately tarnished all the shock parts?

Popped them back into the drain cleaner for 20-25 secs and let them all tarnish a bit. Rinsed off and “polished” with my polish rag that still has some autosol residue on, just to clean it up a tad. The result is, I think, pretty ******* cool.

A1C6B1CD-AE48-4CA9-BCC6-00AE3DDEA923.md.

You can see the effect of the deliberate tarnishing against the freshly stripped drive cup.

2DD41B64-E12C-4A1F-BE5E-A357F7FA7E19.md.

Muy Bueno.

Wow that’s awesome!!!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Frog Jumper said:

Wow that’s awesome!!!

14 minutes ago, djmcnz said:

That looks very good indeed.

Thanks Both, plan is to begin building them this eve, so we'll see how they look fully assembled.

• Like 1

Undoubtably the manual will be essential in making shocks fit and work correctly, infact if the Tamiya USA livestream is correct then it has details on how to make the DF03 shocks fit. I assume this is because they are longer than the CVA v2. 

Still, I wanted to see what the “best shocks Tamiya never sold” looked like.  

2A316660-AADD-4460-964D-6B6560066819.md.

8241370F-88DC-4037-99D5-547C3A1772E3.md.

DF03 shocks were joined by:

TRF Low Friction V Parts, TRF Oil Seals, TRF X-Rings, TRF Tapered Pistons and 5mm Ball Collars.

I don’t think we need another shock build post. So here they are…

17F43B7D-EBFE-4B19-8406-9BA1945DC710.md.

Spring wise I may use the kit springs, mostly as they aren’t that garish gold of the DF03 set……

• Like 4

Somehow i missed the Live RC video where MS went through all the upgrades to his car, sure spent a lot of money on it!

one interesting nugget is how to adjust the DF03 dampers to fit in a screenshot from the Manual, looks easy enough, simply build as per the damper manual and change the mount. Dunno what to make of the advice to "not replace the rear damper" though.....

Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 15.41.10.png

50 minutes ago, matisse said:

Somehow i missed the Live RC video where MS went through all the upgrades to his car, sure spent a lot of money on it!

one interesting nugget is how to adjust the DF03 dampers to fit in a screenshot from the Manual, looks easy enough, simply build as per the damper manual and change the mount. Dunno what to make of the advice to "not replace the rear damper" though.....

Screenshot 2021-09-18 at 15.41.10.png

I saw that about the rear dampers. Must be a bad translation maybe??

15 minutes ago, toyolien said:

I saw that about the rear dampers. Must be a bad translation maybe??

Yeah, it’s very strange. 

This ******* car needs to turn up soon…..rumours that I may have bought 5&8mm hard hex head ball connectors, Low friction suspension balls and a DF03 Spring set are, as yet, unfounded.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Same here. I'm glad I order some 3/32 ceramic diff balls though. Almost went with 3mm...

Ceramic/tungsten/HCCA?

46 minutes ago, matisse said:

Nice. I did indeed just get some Ceramic balls, went with some from MB models, they had 1/16 ones I stock too

Nice. I don't think I've ever been so excited about a new release!

• Like 2

Once again I’ve fell foul of the service stock issue with a local website, I want to buy from the U.K. but it’s so frustrating when it shows as instock and then you get an email saying it will be months away….

in the meantime another PJ package arrived with Hard hex head balls and a DF03 spring set, so I thought I’d finish off the dampers.

AC529C83-202F-46A4-B025-81119231D7EA.md.

• Like 3

Life issues will put this on hold for a while, so I won’t be getting one of first drop of kits.

31 minutes ago, Toad16v said:

Boooo. Was looking forward to this.

I know, sad times indeed 

Not that i want to get people overly excited, but this MAY be back on...... more news to follow as i get it. 

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

Did you sell the dampers in the end or have you still got them?

i did sell them, so i'd have to come up with another plan.

2 hours ago, matisse said:

i did sell them, so i'd have to come up with another plan.

The stock cva shocks are good no need to upgrade. only thing you may need is univerals atleast for the front for better turning radius. then maybe slipper and one alloy diff nut for rear.