Sign in to follow this  
Collin

Removing tyres (rubber) from rims carfully

Hi guys. I am doing the restauration of my TTech Pred 95 Pro. Now I got the orinal dish rims and I want to swap the rubber tyres. They are glued on the spoke rims with a vew drops of superglue. Not all around, only every 90° one drop. I could use a scalpel but somehow I want to dissolve the glue.

Was it with boiling water an cooking the tyres untill the glue get loose? I cant remember and I dont want to destroy the spoke rims or the rubber tyres.

i removed my TT02 tires with hot water, just went and put hot water into a bowl left them there for 30-60 seconds and removed them easily, was too afraid to actually boil them so fresh from kettle worked. i had 100% glued every edge on the drift tires.  they were plastic rims but 3/4 were scrap due to excessive vibrations that cracked the hex mounts, the rest of the rims were just perfect. i went up to 3minutes for the aluminum rims but didnt risk anymore than 90 seconds for plastic rims.

you can try freshly boiled water and leave them there for 30-60 seconds and the rubber should come off easier than drift tires. i do suggest a longish tool to pick up the tire rims from the hot water should be handy nearby before immersing the tire/rim. try gently flexing the glued areas to see if the glue is weakened first and take the timing from there.

1 hour ago, Collin said:

Hi guys. I am doing the restauration of my TTech Pred 95 Pro. Now I got the orinal dish rims and I want to swap the rubber tyres. They are glued on the spoke rims with a vew drops of superglue. Not all around, only every 90° one drop. I could use a scalpel but somehow I want to dissolve the glue.

Was it with boiling water an cooking the tyres untill the glue get loose? I cant remember and I dont want to destroy the spoke rims or the rubber tyres.

Will superglue remover work? 

If you get a a large bucket or bowl that can sea air right . You can pour acetone in ten bottom . And suspend the wheels a few cm above the liquid level, the fumes should just let you pop the tires right off in a day or two.

I say “should” because I’ve done this successfully about 1/2 dozen times and only failed once.

The failure was Axial SMT 10 wheels. 
I guess they use a more rubber cement based glue instead of Cyanoacrylate CA(super glue) . This technique NORMALLY works like a charm with CA glue, but with my axial wheels I ended up tearing the bead on a couple of the 4 and have decided I’m just going to use aftermarket tires now. 
Despite my one failure , I still believe in this technique. Others experience may vary. 

16 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Will superglue remover work? 

I posted a lengthy post about getting them off with acetone above, but if you only have a small bead every 90 degrees or so, acetone in a dropper or pipette should do the trick 

7 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I would just cut it and sand off the remaining CA from the wheel lip..

You missed this part " I dont want to destroy the spoke rims or the rubber tyres". 

I know this actone steam trick form ABS 3d print. I am afraid acetone will harm the old rims. All parts need too stay in best condition after the process, they are rare as xxxxx. Its just that I have to move the rubber from one rim to the other : )

I've tried the 180F oven and the boiling water trick (after it cools down to under 200F).  The oven trick made it stink in the house.  The hot water trick gave me a burn.  Both worked to break down the CA glue and separate the rubber from the wheel.  In both instanced the tire was destroyed, but the wheel was just fine.

Terry

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

You missed this part " I dont want to destroy the spoke rims or the rubber tyres". 

He said "want to replace tyres" so my interpretation was he didn't care for the old tires.  :wacko:You can remove tires without destroying the wheels.. I do it all the time.  :D

I would not want to use any harsh chemicals.. water is fine.  But if you don't need the old tires I would just cut them.  If you want to keep the tires, I'd not cut them.  lol

Okay, so hot water does not work too well. I have another rubber soaking in water for 2 month now, saying cyano glue will be removeable with this trick but nothing changed.

Probably I take my stencile cutter knive and start to cut the rubber off the rims very carefully.

This are the DTM Street version which I have with the mini spike rubbers on it. I want to get off the rubbers putting them on the correct disc rims : )