ACCEL

Silver Bullet

Well it's time to start the mechanical restro on her, 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 2WD 5.9L Cummins.

And it all started with the front yellow bump stops (shown below circled in blue) driving along hitting speed bumps around 20-25 MPH about average with out too much concern been doing it for years, all of a sudden a metal to metal sound i have never heard from her before, get to my friends house and sure enough these lil' yeller oversized earplugs or rubber pellet gun looking pieces had disintegrated, one completely gone the other oh it's there until i grabbed onto it and like an old rubber band it came right out, now mind you material still left in the lower control arm cup, a son of a gun to pry out, took a week to ship and a lil' Super Lube and pressed in fairly easy.

Now it's time to do the entire Suspension through out, starting with the front . Stock Factory, absolutely no zerk fittings, so ordered pretty much MOOG products then to find they aint made here no more, read pros and cons but all in all their parts at least with some type of name i grew up with (makes me smile) so ordering for a 2WD is crazy because majority of some parts and availability is mostly 4x4's.

Stocking up on calipers, rotors pads, brake lines, wheel hub assemblies, coil & leaf springs, shocks, even a new Hellwig rear Anti-sway bar. now some parts may take a while do to some bug in the air and as of a week ago some pkg's already arriving, I'm not delving into this until every part needed is here in stock in my house, that's the plan anyways.

So since all the fargin advertising on some of my RC's and tool boxes and slot car tracks, i'll post what and whom and from these lil' mechanical pieces that somehow keep an 8000 lb. truck on the road, AMAZING!

SUMMIT, CARiD, Amazon, Ebay , & SD Truck Springs so far.

Bilstein, Raybestos, MOOG, Russell, AC Delco, Hellwig, G2 USA Inc., Whiteline, & Dayton

Pushing 82K on mileage, done various things to her through the years, shocks, brakes, fuel injectors, fluids, trani tuned, tires, belt, various things through out, now the OL' Dodge needs some lovn'.....

4JbEfdv.jpg

Down in front:

9SonMJg.jpg

Rear:

zHSMwTc.jpg

some wire wheeling, emery cloth, and some degreaser, paint, and she'll be pretty again, for a while any way.

• Like 2

On 9/2/2021 at 1:25 PM, speedy_w_beans said:

82K miles!!!  You have another 400-500k to go on that Cummins B-series!  That's a real gem of an engine!

That's why i posted NO! in DO you drive to drive thread.

Some peeps frown on Dodge, heck I've owned Chevy, Ford, Toyota and i'll i can say is i drive trucks. (props to RE-Bugged for his trade driving big rigs for a living) i think i would enjoy it for awhile.

16 years old was fun to drive, at 57, i just want to arrive.

Rear parts are being ordered as i type. It was pamper this truck or spend more on somethn' newer and start a whole new learning curve.

I miss my 71" Chevrolet PU the most, easiest vehicle i have ever worked on, but to frequently, that truck could keep up with some Vettes, thus the reason always working on it.

So this Dodge may get slightly more HP later, without destroying every other part every other week so to speak.

any ways how have you been Speed? great to hear from you dear fellow.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ACCEL said:

any ways how have you been Speed? great to hear from you dear fellow.

Things have been ok, a little stressful, but ok.  Not much RCing my life these days, though there's a stack of bodies to work on and a few chassis to put electronics in.

I thought 2020 was crazy with SARS-COV-2; working from home, people hoarding toilet paper, appliances in short supply, ripple effects through supply chains, etc.

But 2021 has been even a little more crazy (for me).  Had to help my wife move her father into assisted living.  My son needed his gall bladder removed.  Work responsibilities increased a lot.  I'm getting the cataract in my right eye fixed in October.  The logistics and the surprises in my personal life with the backdrop of SARS-COV-2, the rudeness of the general public, and the government propaganda keeps me a little anxious.  I'd just like a little peace/ignorance/bliss for some time...

One nice thing:  The weather shifted and we had the first really nice day in a long time.  It's been so hot and humid here; I'm looking forward to more September and October goodness.

How about you?

• Like 1

looks as though i typed somethn' big brother don't want no one to see (It's gone and it was only the truth and from the Great mind and Heart God gave me), anyways i'll PM ya later, silly what THEY do not want us to know. as if i had no clue.

When you have intelligence beyond theirs, they cower.

back to all the wonderful parts of the great minds and abilities of the men and women that manufacture to move vehicles all around town👌😃

• Like 2

9IIgQzz.jpgC

FRONT: Coil Spring Insulators, Tie Rods, Tie Rod Ends, Lower Ball Joints, Sway Bar Link Kit,

• Like 2

rNvTZSI.jpg

Upper & Lower Control Arms, pre-installed ball joints (something all cleaned and new to install, i did not need the Arms them selves but with the bushings and joints pre-installed it will same a lil 'time) and they are spanking Black.

• Like 2

sI6ylBU.jpg

Right Left Brake Caliper, Raybestos, My dad was a Mobile Brake Man ABC & PDQ and a partner with a 76 Staion for many many years, grew up packing bearings by hand, changing tires at 10 pumping and siphoning gas at 7 , the list goes on Thus is why i build houses for a living. i do not sell myself as a Mechanic, but i have enough tools and knowledge  and experience i always work on my own, done every thing to cars and trucks except rebuilding a complete engine (top end yes). now throw in all the new electronics and Thank you Utubeions.

Other three Calipers on back order.

• Like 2

Lateral Lock Clamps for Sway Bar:

lTn27GB.jpg

Front & Rear Shocks:

N7SZQLG.jpg

this is so much fun i think i'll bounce for joy😁

• Like 2

Trust me when i say i can not wait till its all done i have so many things going on as do you and others of these flipped out times, that really i could go purchase a new used truck but then i'd miss all this excitement.

• Like 1

It’s a good job you have the tools coz I don’t think the trusty Tamiya T spanner will be up to this wrenching job 👍🏻

• Haha 1

This is the slot card the receipt came in upon opening the package.

While studying, reading and learning more about air compressors (industrial, commercial size, i'm done with box store air) i kept coming across the brand TEKTON, and to find out let me say they are replacing an accumulation of sockets, of mixed brands some i'll keep(i have hand tools since my bicycle and go cart days of old) but most i'm giving away. Anyways for the quality and price perhaps, I wish i've known about them before TEKTON. There is fondness now since i have been purchasing a lot of sets all that are right there in the same box for each Drive, it's like your shoes are already on your feet when you get out of bed and ready to go

ThqrvOG.jpg

they're pry bars have an excellent rating, just GOOGLE TEKTON and read about them, I had never heard of them before. Throughout my history i have acquired and purchased sockets and wrenches from Craftsman, Thorsen, S&K, Husky, Pittsburg, Snap-On, VLCEK, HINS DALE, Challenger, PLUMB, EASCO, Power Kraft, Power Built, ACE, Crewline, STANLEY, SPARTA, P&C, Williams, TITAN, New Britain, Kobalt, Crescent,  Penncraft and GILLER  Grandpa and Dad had a lot of these, and i'll keep some but not all,

mix matched sets, some complete sets but worn to a frazzle, besides holding  a whole complete set that weighs as much as a Bulldozer makes me smile.

On 9/1/2021 at 5:18 PM, ACCEL said:

When i order parts it goes like this 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 2WD (RWD) Big Horn Edition(SLT) Quad Cab, 4 speed Automatic 8' long bed Fleetside 5.9L Cummins or you do not get any parts. Some places ask exactly what i typed some are less specific and that's what falls into a trap being most are 4X4's and only some parts are compatible

"2006 Dodge Ram 3500 2WD (RWD) Big Horn Edition(SLT) Quad Cab, 4 speed Automatic 8' long bed Fleetside 5.9L Cummins"

Say that three times really fast!

• Haha 1