alvinlwh

Holiday Buggy questions

17 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@alvinlwh Good find. Mod08, huh?  I wonder if my M38 is also Mod08.. Mod06 worked, but was on the tad noisy side so decided to yank the pinion off the kit motor which was originally on the car when I bought it second (or third or fourth) hand.  

That motor was already pretty much spent so destroying it to pull the pinion was fine. Working great on my new silver can.  

58035 Wild Willy M38 15T 0.6 mod

Check your kit number first. 

Also, there are some talks about bellends? 

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/88336-what-is-this-gear-48-pitch-doesnt-fit/

39 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

58035 Wild Willy M38 15T 0.6 mod

Check your kit number first. 

Also, there are some talks about bellends? 

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/88336-what-is-this-gear-48-pitch-doesnt-fit/

Yeah, I saw that post a while back thinking it would be Mod06.. maybe the spur gear has worn to the shape of the semi-worn pinion.  That was my original guess why it was a bit noisy when I tried a new pinion.. and now since the spur is matched to the original pinion, very low noise.. 

2 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Yeah, I saw that post a while back thinking it would be Mod06.. maybe the spur gear has worn to the shape of the semi-worn pinion.  That was my original guess why it was a bit noisy when I tried a new pinion.. and now since the spur is matched to the original pinion, very low noise.. 

TBH, all these gear mods (and DPs) just does my head in. I have to remember (or look up) their specs before buying. Searching for "tamiya 18t pinion" (just bought one 10 minutes ago) will not always get me the right stuff. 

17 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

TBH, all these gear mods (and DPs) just does my head in. I have to remember (or look up) their specs before buying. Searching for "tamiya 18t pinion" (just bought one 10 minutes ago) will not always get me the right stuff. 

You’re absolutely right.  There are several different pitch out there and even when you get the correct one, there is some level of tolerance so who knows.   There is always some trial and error involved.   

And especially on the M38 where it has the split gear box, the upper gear box has a universal attached to the clutch gear and the bushing can be worn on the clutch gear to the point there is some minor angle that pushes oddly against the spur making it not a perfectly flat mesh between the pinion and spur.  So that is another variable for the motor mesh..when it all comes down to it, best to just use original parts off that particular car as they all wear differently.

25 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

You’re absolutely right.  There are several different pitch out there and even when you get the correct one, there is some level of tolerance so who knows.   There is always some trial and error involved.   

And especially on the M38 where it has the split gear box, the upper gear box has a universal attached to the clutch gear and the bushing can be worn on the clutch gear to the point there is some minor angle that pushes oddly against the spur making it not a perfectly flat mesh between the pinion and spur.  So that is another variable for the motor mesh..when it all comes down to it, best to just use original parts off that particular car as they all wear differently.

Right, must remember not to get myself a M38! :D

Probably a bit late regarding motor advice but here goes.  A brushless 2845 3930kv motor with a hobby wing 16bl30 esc works extremely well.  I recently fitted this combination to a Tamiya frog.  The pinion to use to fit the 2845 motor shaft as a 380 fitment is a 10 tooth monster beetle pinion.  Using a 3s lipo battery will give the car amazing acceleration but not too fast a top speed to be uncontrollable.  If you want the car to be less of a handful use a regular 7.2v nimh battery or 2s lipo battery.  

D518A277-4FC3-46A7-A63E-87331C13148B.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Toolmaker72 said:

Probably a bit late regarding motor advice but here goes.  A brushless 2845 3930kv motor with a hobby wing 16bl30 esc works extremely well.  I recently fitted this combination to a Tamiya frog.  The pinion to use to fit the 2845 motor shaft as a 380 fitment is a 10 tooth monster beetle pinion.  Using a 3s lipo battery will give the car amazing acceleration but not too fast a top speed to be uncontrollable.  If you want the car to be less of a handful use a regular 7.2v nimh battery or 2s lipo battery.  

2845BL, is that the same size as a 380? Sorry, I am new to this brushless sizes numbering system at the moment. The Holiday Buggy is sold with a 380 in a DT-02 chassis, probably to pay homage to the original one? It uses a mounting plate to bring the drive shaft of the 380 to the same position as a 540.

I will not be going brushless on this, I will prefer to use a 380 in it, if possible, like the original. So if the 2845BL is the same mount position as a 380, then the monster beetle pinion should work.

Hope it makes sense.

5 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Its ok. I often try to do things "outside the norm" and quite often, my questions are not quite what they seem at first glance. In this case, I am trying to preserve the "spirit" of the car which comes with a 380 standard while making it a little faster and different from just an OOB one.

I got a friend who often get quite frustrated with my questions as his answers are often "just slap a brushless and lipo in, that's what everyone does!", but then I do not want to be "everyone".

I will still try to make the 380ST work, but have the 540 option if my attempts fail.

No problem. I will try to better understand next time ;).

But you are looking for a 10T .08 Tamiya pinion? Correct?

Tamico (sorry, my go to webshop) has Carson steel ones in stock. Or order the Tamiya 3505014?

Hope I am not missing something again...

4 minutes ago, bavee said:

No problem. I will try to better understand next time ;).

But you are looking for a 10T .08 Tamiya pinion? Correct?

Tamico (sorry, my go to webshop) has Carson steel ones in stock. Or order the Tamiya 3505014?

Hope I am not missing something again...

Thanks for the tip, I will give them a look. Their .de put me off earlier somewhat (when looking for something else), as when on ebay, there is stupid postage costs from Deutschland. I had also added a 3505014 to my watch list. For £5, it will not be an expensive mistake if it does not work.

Just checking, that is NOT the same as the Lunchbox CW-01 pinion right? 

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

2845BL, is that the same size as a 380? Sorry, I am new to this brushless sizes numbering system at the moment. The Holiday Buggy is sold with a 380 in a DT-02 chassis, probably to pay homage to the original one? It uses a mounting plate to bring the drive shaft of the 380 to the same position as a 540.

I will not be going brushless on this, I will prefer to use a 380 in it, if possible, like the original. So if the 2845BL is the same mount position as a 380, then the monster beetle pinion should work.

Hope it makes sense.

Yes.  2845 relates to 28mm diameter and 45mm long.   This size motor will simply fit where the brushed 380 goes.  Then use a monster beetle/Blackfoot 10 tooth brass pinion to complete the drive.   The 3930kv relates to revs per volt.  Really simple maths.  3930x7.2 will give the max motor rpm for the battery voltage used.  The low gearing using the small 10 tooth pinion will easily let the motor spin up without any strain.  It doesn’t get so hot either.  You get longer run times and faster speed and the battery doesn’t even get warm.  The esc ive used is rated at 30amps continuous and it only felt warm after a run.  That esc was a rather cheap hobbywing  16bl30. It can use regular batteries or lipo.  I tested my frog set up using a 3s lipo simply to see if it would blow that speed control.  It worked perfectly for me.   

6 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I wonder if my M38 is also Mod08.. Mod06 worked, but was on the tad noisy side

Do you know which Mod06 it was?  Was it 54463 Mod 06 pinion?  I posted that thread about M38 in 2018, and it's still unresolved.  All I know is that Robinson 48 pitch 15 teeth was too small in diameter.  

18 minutes ago, Juggular said:

Do you know which Mod06 it was?  Was it 54463 Mod 06 pinion?  I posted that thread about M38 in 2018, and it's still unresolved.  All I know is that Robinson 48 pitch 15 teeth was too small in diameter.  

I bought a SquareR/C TGE-815  off eBay... The description for the part is "06Module for Tamiya" so I thought it would work perfectly. :rolleyes:

It might on other Tamiya cars, it could be just that the M38 is not perfectly Mod06..

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Right, must remember not to get myself a M38! :D

You know that is next on your shopping list!  :lol:

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

You know that is next on your shopping list!  :lol:

Nah, next for my winter builds is a Thunder Dragon/Fire Dragon followed by this Holiday Buggy. Even for the motors ready for them, TZ for the TD/FD and 380ST or 540LT for the HB. Also planning for a TT02 First Try to screw around with if its price falls to below £70.

• Haha 1

You’ve ended up in the right place for me - 380 or tweak to 380ST 👍

At least for a semi authentic Holiday Buggy experience 

The re re chassis can clearly handle a 540 but from what I’ve seen it drives nothing like an old HB ! 

14 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

I did not know what a TT02 First Try was.. and super detailed video (well in Japanese) on how to read the owners manual?!   nani~?

https://tamiyablog.com/2016/12/explanation-video-and-details-of-tamiya-57986-first-try-rc-kit-on-road-tt-02-chassis/

It is the cheapest way to get a TT02 chassis, cheaper than to buy a kit (I got a body shell ready to go on it). Obviously it is totally basic and will need a heap of upgrades but with a base cost of, the lowest I had seen, £69, it will be mad not to get one to screw around (literally) with. 

On 9/2/2021 at 3:45 PM, TurnipJF said:

front shock tower brace isn't a bad idea.

Looking at how the front suspension goes through the body of the HB, will a brace work? In fact, will Tamiya 54431 DT-02 Carbon damper stay (Front) even work here?

Screenshot_2021-09-04-02-52-01-145_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.cfe1524606a771d9e61867f11534960d.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-04-02-53-18-317_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.f1c292f10147f20c208603e1b7892ef0.jpg

21 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Looking at how the front suspension goes through the body of the HB, will a brace work? In fact, will Tamiya 54431 DT-02 Carbon damper stay (Front) even work here?

Screenshot_2021-09-04-02-52-01-145_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.cfe1524606a771d9e61867f11534960d.jpg

Screenshot_2021-09-04-02-53-18-317_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.f1c292f10147f20c208603e1b7892ef0.jpg

The carbon shock tower extensions will not work with the body, neither will a straight brace between the two shock mounting points. You'll need one of the U-shaped braces that follow the shape of the shock tower. I believe Carson make one. 

• Thanks 1

OK, so I had bought myself a Holiday Buggy from a physical shop. 

Time for next round of questions. 

I already have the 380ST motor, will need to get home to check how it will install into the HB. Looking at some AM parts. The obvious will be the 14 x 1150 bearings, but there are some parts I am wondering if they will fit. They are listed for DT-03, but some parts can maybe fit the DT-02? Or are they even necessary? 

They are:

Tamiya 54560 DT-03 LW Gear Shaft 5x45mm

Tamiya 54561 DT-03 Stabilizer Set 

Tamiya 54563 DT-03 Carbon Damper Stay Rear

Tamiya 54562 DT-03 Carbon Damper Stay Front

Tamiya 54564 DT-03 Aluminum Battery Bar

Tamiya 54572 DT-03 Full Turnbuckle Set

Tamiya 54566 DT-03 Aluminum Gearbox Bridge

Anything else from other manufacturers that are recommended? 

My goto motor and esc, is a 15t Firebolt /CoreRC and a 1060 esc, cheap as chips, and just works. If you find you want to go quicker,  brushless (I messed about trying to stay brushed, going to a 12t ,but its cheaper ,easier and quicker ,going brushless)

Bearings, Hardened pinion (17 or 19t are the factory options for a 540, but a 20t does fit).

As well as shocks (I went with 3Racing, but needed to swap out the oil, as it was too thick), I also upgraded the driveshafts, I went with these on my dt03 (same gearbox and arms, so should work on the dt02)

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-g45-steel-differential-outdrive-for-tamiya-tt02-tatt-s04-tatt-018-3-00106028

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-g45-universal-steel-swing-shaft-for-tamiya-df03-tt02b-df03-015v2-00026617

Mod vs DP, the only one that is close enough to work, is 32dp / 08mod (32dp = 07938 mod) none of the others are close enough to work. I've seen adverts on modelshop websites selling 48dp pinions for a DF03 (05mod), and they don't work at all (but don't mix them in a draw, with 0.03mm of a difference, its hard to tell.....😭🤦‍♂️

2021-10-13_08-29-47

11 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

My goto motor and esc, is a 15t Firebolt /CoreRC and a 1060 esc, cheap as chips, and just works. If you find you want to go quicker,  brushless (I messed about trying to stay brushed, going to a 12t ,but its cheaper ,easier and quicker ,going brushless)

Bearings, Hardened pinion (17 or 19t are the factory options for a 540, but a 20t does fit).

As well as shocks (I went with 3Racing, but needed to swap out the oil, as it was too thick), I also upgraded the driveshafts, I went with these on my dt03 (same gearbox and arms, so should work on the dt02)

No, I do not want to go 540, which is why I asked about the pinion on the stock 380 and I already got a 380 ST ready to go in. And definitely not BL. 

I already got the Tamiya CVA set when I went to a LHS yesterday, along with some spare rear wheels. 

• Like 1