Golden

Sand Viper Turning circle

Grateful for some advice - I’ve just built a sand viper on the dt02 chassis, and the steering circle/turning circle is absolutely huge. 

I’m using a metal geared servo (a core 9kg one I think - I use it in most of my stuff) Super stock bz motor and standard 17 tooth pinion (but only use nimh packs….). 

I've just had a go at adding some toe out (and nicely mashed up the turnbuckles as part of the bargain….) and added some shims to stop play in the wheels between the bearings and wheel face -  and will see how that goes tomorrow as it’s now pretty late/dark. 

The car is for back garden bashing - not racing or anything like that - but I am a bit shocked about how poor the steering was when compared to other cars I have and watching it on you tube.

Do I need more throw in the servo somehow - or more toe- out (will discover if what I’ve done has made any improvement tomorrow….) - but I can’t see how it’s raced, as it is far from nimble - I think my hornet steers tighter than this does!

Grateful for some advice if anyone knows much about these.

What shims did you use?  I have definitely noticed a lot of wobble in the wheels, after other parts are tightened up.

I run a DT-03, nearly the same front end, and toe out is definitely needed versus the recommended steering arm length from the manual.

4 hours ago, Golden said:

Do I need more throw in the servo somehow?

Operate the steering and look at the relationship between the castor block and the steering block. This will show if you're getting maximum throw.

In general terms, adding a nicely adjusted ball diff to the rear can make a considerable difference to turning circle, a rear gear diff will encourage push understeer and a wider turning circle, a correctly set up ball diff minimises this.

Thanks for the above. 

For shims I use Traxxas shims - I think they’re teflon:

https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/121/

I hadn’t considered a ball diff - I might swap the cera grease I’d put in the diff (too splippery????) for awg grease - as usually use that and get good results on the diffs actually….).

I had seen the dt02 tuning guide late last night as it happens - and just had a more detailed read - so will play around with it a bit more. I know it's not a top end kit - but was expecting it to be a bit better from the reviews - so will play around with settings a bit more as need a non-shelf queen I’ll actually use!

Will adjusting camber help with turn in?

Thanks again!

If you say back garden basher, what kind of surface do you run? From looking at the Sand Viper I would say the front tires are not designed for grass and may tend to understeer. Also to add a little weight on the front may be helpful.

Yep - grass… I have a few (a lot…..) of other buggies - so will try some other tyres out. Just found a great series of dt02 videos from Mark Bryan’s you tube channel - and he recommends a traxxas tyre (the turf ripper!). 

Steering angle does look to be fine - so must be the tyres simply not biting-in…

Just taken it out again having opened up the toe slightly - shimmed it - and importantly found done donor tyres….

0AEC4E67-1A61-42E9-812E-3E87B96EFC6D.thumb.jpeg.c13c115cbd50e29466a6f6f6ec395fe9.jpeg

Also (and probably the most important aspect!!!!) changed driving style slightly - lifting off for corners - and…. It’s AWESOME!

The VQS tyres don’t quite fit - but just to see if spikes helped…. And they definitely do for grass. 

Thanks for everyone's input. I think I’ll source a carson 17t steel pinion and a heat sink (although there doesn’t seem any room to install one???) - and then I’m up and running with a proper Tamiya car I don’t mind getting dirty(!). 

Might strengthen the front strut tower with an aluminium bracket too. The buggy is really fun - so driving style and tyres seems to have sorted it. 

Just need some ps-6 to arrive in the uk to finish it off now!