Dampers done and mounted, ready for some fine tuning once I make a decision on body set..

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

Your making me want to build my dampers now🙄

Looks better than I think it would with the blue chassis 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, svenb said:

Your making me want to build my dampers now🙄

Looks better than I think it would with the blue chassis 👍🏻

Cheers!

Do it, they're lovely. What chassis are you going to attach them to?

The only tricky bit was snapping them onto the ball nuts...the connectors only attach one way round and even when you get that right they are unbelievably hard. I've got small circles imprinted in my thumbs 😩

18 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Dampers done and mounted, ready for some fine tuning once I make a decision on body set..

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Beautiful!

By the way, what camera are you using?

• Thanks 1

A few carbon fibre finishing touches...

spacer.png

And wheels...

Has to be 24mm rims because of the suspension. However, after a bit of experimentation I've worked out that this will take a 306 Maxi shell 😃 Finally! Hurrah! 

So, these Ride rims and tyres will do the job nicely

spacer.png

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

Beautiful!

Thanks man!

5 minutes ago, Nicadraus said:

By the way, what camera are you using?

My trusty iPhone 12 Pro 👍

• Like 1

Because I'd used the Type S upper arm mounts, there are no arm mounts attached to the top of the gearcovers

So, to get the Fibre-Lyte centre brace to clear the spur cover I had to add 5mm spacers beneath each 14mm screw, which worked a treat

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

And that's the chassis build done 😁 I used a TT01 bumper (16275065) as it has a smaller profile than the TT02 bumper and means that the 306 shell's shallow front valance will fit 

spacer.png

• Like 5

This is a shell I bought from L&L Models which came with the Seb Loeb Red Bull livery. I absolutely butchered it trying to get it to fit an FF03 (it didn't fit) but kept it as a sacrificial lamb to use to test on other chassis, the thinking being that when I found one that fit I would order a new shell and do the Seb Loeb thing with it

So, there's now a new shell on the way 😃 I'll need to do a much better job of cutting the arches on the new one, I've no idea why the fronts are so much higher than the rears. I think next time I'll follow the lines for the rears and then cut inside the line of the fronts to try and even up the clearance

spacer.png

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Thanks man!

My trusty iPhone 12 Pro 👍

Beautiful shots and angles. Shows the photographer in you. :)

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Cheers!

Do it, they're lovely. What chassis are you going to attach them to?

The only tricky bit was snapping them onto the ball nuts...the connectors only attach one way round and even when you get that right they are unbelievably hard. I've got small circles imprinted in my thumbs 😩

TT01, I'm doing that tonight and I'll post a pic👍🏻

Spot on with those super tight connectors!!! sure I drew blood last set I built😭

• Like 1

The wheel arch thing is actually very accurate to the 1:1 car. Back in the day there were a few road-going steel-arched Maxi road cars built, owners who didn't have the pukka suspension setup (which pushed the whole struts outwards towards the wide arches) had to order wheels with ridiculous amounts of offset or big 'ol spacers. The arches were designed with the revised suspension setup in mind and the longer amount of movement it permitted. 

So the road cars could appear "slammed" at the rear but never at the front, since the arches would hit the ground before you eliminated the arch gap. I believe the "Dimma" kitted cars were better for this, using fiberglass arches instead. 

Shameless photo opportunity:

2023-02-26_03-40-48.thumb.jpg.0787e6f554ed2f60ae009c6768dbc430.jpg

• Like 7

As ever, a few leftovers. A mixture of the wrong bits and some parts that got superseded by other Hop Ups

spacer.png

The rear suspension mount set, gearbox joints, axles and drive shafts, bumper and heat sink are heading to eBay 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

The wheel arch thing is actually very accurate to the 1:1 car

Great info, thanks! I had a 306XSi and a GTi-6 back in the late 90s, such great cars 

The 1/10 Maxi arches look a little weird as it is but I will make a better job of cutting out the final shell and I guess it will balance out when it has some stickers on it 

Nothing shameless about sharing pics of your 306 Maxi, it's a beauty! I'm looking forward to taking on the Red Bull livery, though it would be handy to find some sticker application instructions somewhere first 😳

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

As ever, a few leftovers. A mixture of the wrong bits and some parts that got superseded by other Hop Ups

spacer.png

The rear suspension mount set, gearbox joints, axles and drive shafts, bumper and heat sink are heading to eBay 

No, this goes against the trend! 

When you build up a number of un-used parts, it triggers a new build. This way the thread is self perpetuating!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Elbowloh said:

No, this goes against the trend! 

When you build up a number of un-used parts, it triggers a new build. This way the thread is self perpetuating!

Ha! That is very true…

If it was a bunch of TA04 parts (or 03 or 02, or TB-something) then you’re right, that is what would happen 😂 

But TT02…not-so-muuuuch 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Getting the stickers 'right' around the headlights where the wide arches start to bulge out is a real pain. It's not a single decal, so you line the first one up around the headlight aperture (like eyeliner I guess) then the next one has to meet it at the edges precisely. There's very little room for error!

Keen to see the Loeb livery, it'll look pretty cool I reckon. I have a black 306 Maxi body I painted in my yoof, still up in the loft. If I was confident enough I could remove the black PS-5 paint then I would consider painting it white and doing a Loeb version myself - if L&L sell the decals separately of course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisRx718 said:

if L&L sell the decals separately of course. 

Looks like they do 👍

On 2/25/2023 at 7:25 AM, Juhunio said:

My first time building Big Bore dampers...the pistons are much chunkier than the usual TRF jobs; the lower e-clip sits inside them rather than below, and the rod guide and spacer are combined into a single piece

The Pin Vise came in handy again! You have to drill a 1mm hole through the upper ball connector cap, I guess for a bit of aeration?

spacer.png

Did you end up using the "optional" pink spacers on yours?  I started building set of these for my TC-01 build last night, and got stalled out pretty quick as I don't have a 1mm drill bit for my pin vise.  :angry:

What oil did you end up using?

1 hour ago, bRIBEGuy said:

Did you end up using the "optional" pink spacers on yours?  I started building set of these for my TC-01 build last night, and got stalled out pretty quick as I don't have a 1mm drill bit for my pin vise.  :angry:

What oil did you end up using?

I did use them, mainly because I've used them before...no other logic!! The Type S standard oil is 900 so I used that 

The Tamiya Basic Drill Set (74049) is a pretty handy thing to have, covers most of the 1/10 drilling bases (basically, 1mm and 2.5mm so far)

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Where did you get the 5mm spacers from Matt? I need some 10mm ones for my TB02 build.

They’re from eBay Dave, I also got 10mm ones for my TB02-R….for the damper mounts I think? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324330405285?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=sh8NoeokQ66&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=bH4G_tbSRKi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

2 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Thank you.

I need them so I can mount the front and rear carbon braces. I've got the braces and no spacers. The 02D kit doesn't come with them and no one appears to sell them on their own.

1 minute ago, TwistedxSlayer said:

Thank you.

I need them so I can mount the front and rear carbon braces. I've got the braces and no spacers. The 02D kit doesn't come with them and no one appears to sell them on their own.

Gotcha…they should do nicely then 👍

• Thanks 1