2 hours ago, Mr.Dose said:

I had same problem on my 306 FF04…

I think the change of suspension mount has cracked it, but won't truly know until I hack the bumper to get the body shell to fit

It really does seem that the 306 was a 'one-chassis' body; the FF-02

Electrics are all in and the battery and bumper plate installed...nearly there!

The servo lead is too short so I've had to order an extension which should be here later this week

Last remaining jobs are

• install a motor and pinion
  • install the stabilisers
  • decide whether to hack up the bumper to try and get the 306 shell to fit, or leave it as is and go for a different body

spacer.png

• Like 3

And here's the pile of leftovers...not too bad!!

There's an entire ball diff assembly...not sure what to do with that

A couple of spur gears and suspension mounts which I'll keep as spares 

The spacers and flanged tubes weren't needed, they came with their associated hop ups anyway 🙄

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

And here's the pile of leftovers...not too bad!!

There's an entire ball diff assembly...not sure what to do with that

A couple of spur gears and suspension mounts which I'll keep as spares 

The spacers and flanged tubes weren't needed, they came with their associated hop ups anyway 🙄

spacer.png

This is very important. I also secured a lot of spares for my FF-03s (and XV-01). So many (including main chassis), that I could probably build three more kits. Haha!

The FF-03 was also one of the best fun builds I did. But finding parts was a bit of a challenge which took me more than two/three years to achieve. One car started a a Pro while the other a full stock. Then slowly upgraded the Pro to an R and beyond and the stock car to a Pro and beyond. It was an expensive route but I really enjoyed the build and every time I found new parts, I would think it was over, then another one would pop out a a surprise. But at this point, the builds are really finished and I'm enjoying both cars as I run them. You will too especially how track worthy-still the FF-03 is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I think the change of suspension mount has cracked it, but won't truly know until I hack the bumper to get the body shell to fit

It really does seem that the 306 was a 'one-chassis' body; the FF-02

This is how i had to trim my bumper. My first attempt, i have another one to do it nicer 😁

image.jpg

On 7/8/2022 at 7:15 PM, Juhunio said:

Thank you, that’s very kind 👍

I really like how this livery sits on the GT2, it suits it much better than the 934 IMO

Good luck with yours, I’m sure you’ll do a grand job 😃

I may inflict a build thread upon you all if you're not careful! 😂

Further adventures in trying to get a 306 shell to fit an FF03...

(TL:DR? It doesn't fit)

First step, I managed to find a spare FF03 B Parts tree which meant I had a spare plastic bumper to hack away at. Those two inner nibs need to come off, which also created a chance for first use of the craft saw I picked up a couple of months back

spacer.png

The craft saw is, indeed, 'Handy', and did a nice tidy job of the cut.

spacer.png

However, I'm glad I tracked down a spare bumper and was able to keep a complete plastic and foam bumper as a fallback...

• Like 1

Because it doesn't fit. Here's the shell mounted on the FF03 chassis. The front is pretty good, but the rear wheels are too far back in the arch. It looks weird, and is borderline as to whether the shell would rub on the tyres or not. 

This is with Ride 24mm rims fitted rather than the Tamiya 26mm

spacer.png

spacer.png

I wondered if it was an issue with the FF03, is the wheelbase a bit 'out' maybe? 

So I did a test fit using my half-finished AMG GT3 shell, which is the only other 257mm shell I have drilled with front body post holes over the bumper

It fits perfectly

spacer.png

spacer.png

So it's not the chassis...

So I thought I would double check the 306 shell by sticking it on the TA04-TRF chassis that I lifted the AMG GT3 off.

It fits much better!

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

For the sake of completeness, here's the GT3 sat on the TA04-TRF

spacer.png

So my conclusion is that the issue is not the 306 shell, or the FF03 chassis, but the combination of the two. It just doesn't work

The 306 shell fits nicely on other chassis, and other 257mm shells fit nicely on the FF03

So, next step is to choose an alternative shell for the FF03 (maybe an Alfa 155 V6 TI. Yes, I know it's 4WD but at this point who cares? At least the Ride wheels will match 😂) and then stick the 306 on something else, maybe a TA04-R which is currently a slug (ie a snail without a shell!). As an added bonus, 26mm rims fit that one...

Onward!

• Like 2

Mon-Tech makes a couple of FWD bodies that fit the FF03. I used the GTI Vision on mine and thought the quality was pretty good (no paint yet or else I would share). They’re not quite Tamiya level, but better than some others I’ve tried. They also make a Peugeot 308 TCR which looks pretty sweet. You’ll have to get creative with livery, since these bodies come with limited decals.  

image.jpeg.441b72565f4f64a7016069dae5c1818c.jpeg

image.jpeg.9be126c3212a738c1239ca8652375248.jpeg

• Like 1

Also @Juhuniodo you have any means to reduce the wheelbase by a few mm? Isn't there a spacer you can move from in front of the rear arms to behind them?

• Like 1

On 8/11/2022 at 6:07 PM, Pylon80 said:

Also @Juhuniodo you have any means to reduce the wheelbase by a few mm? Isn't there a spacer you can move from in front of the rear arms to behind them?

Yeah, not much though. The build already has the large spacer in the RR position and just a 1mm spacer at FR. I shifted that 1mm spacer to RR to move it as far forward as possible, which is what you can see in the pics above. It can't go any further forward than that 🙁

8 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

I really like the Scirocco personally and it's available for cheap.

Yeah, VWs just aren't my thing 🤷🏻‍♂️

I am really with you on getting a body to fit correctly. This is really annoying indeed.

• Like 1

I run the 155 V6 ti on my FF01. Tonnes of room for frontie motors on that shell. The bitty design hc-r also fit my FF03 perfectly and look like a Civic Type R. Cool shell. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 2:28 AM, ThunderDragonCy said:

I run the 155 V6 ti on my FF01. Tonnes of room for frontie motors on that shell. 

Yup, it's a great fit 😀

spacer.png

This is just a rough scissor cut of the shell, no sanding yet. The front alignment is perfect, the rear will be near enough once I move that 1mm spacer back to the RF position to push the rears back a bit 

And I can add a wheel spacer or two to the rear axles to bring the hubs out into the arches a little bit more too

All in all...result 👍

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

@Juhunio Lovely! What livery are you going for? I got the L and L repro with Al Italia decals, but those DTM cars had loads of cool options

It’s a rare body set these days, and I managed to find one in a box with some nice line art on it, so…..

Box art I reckon! The Martini livery is pretty iconic 😊

• Like 2

Finally, the cap screws needed to mount the motor arrived 

spacer.png

Hardened steel RW Racing pinion has 25 teeth to create an FDR of 7:07, bang in the middle of the motor's Touring Car range 

spacer.png