The thread has definitely taken a detour. I set out looking for an as-new home for a classic body shell, and found the 04SS. My initial intention was to sell the TT shell, Hasseroder sticker set and the wheels to part fund the project and maybe contribute to a hop up or two for the rebuild. 

Then I got sucked into a wormhole of TA04 Hop Ups, some of which are very beautiful, and very hard to find. But I'm a sucker for the quest, so find them I did. To the point that I had most of a whole new TA04.

But what to do with the TT and the 04SS? I was no fan of that Hasseroder livery, and I couldn't find the Red Bull stickers anywhere, MCI drew a blank. I sent out a few long-shot emails, and one of them came back with the prize of a scan and dimensions for the Red Bull livery stickers! Success! Sent them off to MCI, and suddenly the TT shell was viable. 

So instead of the hopped up TA04 home for a classic Mercedes CLK shell promised at the outset, so far I have achieved a (broadly) kit-spec TA04-SS Audi TT DTM which will one day be draped in Red Bull livery. And I have a box full of bits! 

So last night I decided to sort out the box-o'-bits for the super hopped up TA04...I'm 99.9% confident I have everything...

spacer.png 

spacer.png

spacer.png

Whatever screws and fixings aren't in that little pot, I'm banking on them being in the Hop Up sets in the various envelopes above. Fingers crossed! 

• Like 3

The full inventory of parts sourced, all other hardware is from the spares boxes:

EDIT: things changed as the build evolved and it became clear that some parts weren't going to work and needed a different option, or some parts just weren't needed

• 53462 TA04 Aluminium Ball Differential Pulley (x2)
  • 53480 TA04 Lightweight Diff Joint Set (x2)
  • 50880 TA04 Ball Differential Plate Set (x2)
  • 49299 Ball Diff Springs / 49300 620 Ball Thrust Bearings / 49350 Diff Screw and Lock Nut
  • 3mm Ceramic Silicone Nitride Diff Balls
  • 53591 / 53592 / 53593 04 Module Spur Gears (112T / 120T / 128T)
  • 42267 / 42268 / 42269 Hard Coated 04 Module Pinion Gears (37T / 38T / 39T)
  • 53422 0.4 Pinion Gear (44T / 45T)
  • 53510 TA04 Hard Centre Shaft
  • 53614 TA04 Racing Spur Holder Set
  • 53474 TA04 Aluminium Centre Pulley (x2)
  • 53463 / 53484 Low Friction Belts (Front / Rear)
  • 53609 TA04 Aluminium Suspension Mount (Front)
  • 53610 TA04 Aluminium Suspension Mount (Rear)
  • 53479 TA04 Low Friction Suspension Shaft Set
  • 54388 3x48.55mm Titanium Coated Suspension Shaft (x2)
  • 53917 2.6mm Titanium Coated Suspension Shaft for Reversible Suspension
  • 53611 TA04 Racing Stabiliser Set (Front)
  • 53458 TA04 Racing Hub Carrier Set
  • 51106 / 51107 TB Evo IV Hub Carriers 2o / 4o
  • 51104 TB Evo IV Suspension Arms (x2)
  • 50867 TA04 Front Uprights
  • 51103 TB Evo IV Front Uprights
  • 50882 TA04 King Pin Set
  • 50986 TRF414M Ball Connector King Pin Set
  • 53457 TA04 Turnbuckle Tie Rod Set
  • 53442 Colour Stabiliser Set (Rear)
  • 53472 TA04 Toe-in Rear Upright
  • 53786 TB Evo IV Aluminium Rear Upright 1o
  • 42372 39mm Double Cardan Join Shafts
  • 53506 39mm Lightweight Rear Swing Shafts (Blue)
  • 53500 Cross Joints for Universal Shafts
  • 53499 Wheel Axle for Universal Shafts
  • 53502 42mm Lightweight Swing Shafts
  • 51094 TB Evo IV Wheel Axles 
  • 53569 Clamp Type Aluminium Wheel Hub (6mm)
  • 53823 Clamp Type Aluminium Wheel Hub (Blue / 5mm)
  • 49194 TA04 Aluminium Steering Posts (Blue)
  • 53478 TA04 Aluminium Racing Steering Set (Silver!!! :(:()
  • 19805953 Evo IV Aluminium Steering Arms (Blue)
  • 49196 TA04 Short Aluminium Servo Stay (Blue)
  • 54159 Aluminium Servo Horn (Blue)
  • 54863 Aluminium Servo Cap (Blue)
  • 51000 Hi-torque Servo Saver
  • 42102 TRF Damper Set
  • 53481 Carbon Reinforced Chassis Lower Deck
  • 53605 TA04 SSG Carbon Upper Deck
  • 53607 TA04 SSG Carbon Front Damper Stay
  • 53607 TA04 SSG Carbon Rear Damper Stay
  • 53675 TA04 SSG Carbon Lightweight Battery Holder
  • 13455898 Antenna Post
  • 53617 Aluminium Front Body Mounts (Blue)
  • 49199 TA04 Aluminium Motor Heat Sink (Blue)
  • 49203 Reinforced Rear Gear Case set
  • 2750071 5x3.5mm spacer
  • 2750052 5x1.9mm spacer
  • 19415773 C Parts Bag
  • 50865 A Parts Tree
  • 50872 K Parts Tree
  • 50874 M Parts Tree
  • 50881 TA04 Urethane Bumper

But...what is it??

It's not quite going to be a TA04TRF, because I'm not using a carbon / SSG lower deck or a Front One Way. But it will have aluminium centre pulleys and aluminium suspension mounts, the same stabilisers, drive belts, outdrives, spur holder, etc. And even the TRF didn't have aluminium diff pulleys, aluminium steering and front DCJs!

The aluminium parts take it beyond an R-Tuned, even beyond the Pro? Can't find a Pro manual anywhere to check it out but the parts list on Tamiyabase looks like there's a lot of plastic in there

So I think it's going be a TA04-TRF with a couple of things removed, and some things added by yours truly.

It's a TA04-TRFJ.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

TA04RR?

Feel like a parallel to the TA07RR

I like it, and I'm going with it 👍

1 hour ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Also, bravo on the spectacular list

Cheers!

• Like 1

It's been a pretty stressful few days with work and sorting out the 1:1 car; ordering a new one, sorting out a short term solution to the 6 month wait problem, and then doing the dance with wewontpaythatmuchreally.com to get rid of the old one :wacko: So I thought I would get started on the TA04-RR and treat myself to a bit of ball-diff therapy. Necessary parts assembled...

spacer.png

spacer.png

The ball diff pulleys are really beautifully machined, and come with those little white bushings to nestle the 3mm diff balls in. Comfy!

spacer.png

A light application of ball diff grease to the balls and plates

spacer.png

And the pulleys are mounted on the diff joints along with the 850 bearings

spacer.png

However....the hobby horse nearly fell at the first. None of those parts contain the little plastic ball diff nut holder :( Thankfully I was able to raid the kit box for the Evo III project and borrow the A5 parts from it (must remember to order a couple of 53890s to replace them)

A lick of ceramic grease on the thrust bearings, before screwing the diffs together

spacer.png spacer.png

It's very satisfying, getting the 'feel' of a new ball diff. I like to tighten the joints up to a point where the diff still slips, to get a sense of what that feels like, then tighten up a quarter turn at a time until I can't budge it at all. Then back it off a quarter turn so there's the tiniest bit of movement at full physical force

Then I run them in using my electric drill, starting off as slow as possible for 30 seconds, then gradually increasing the power step by step for 30 seconds at a time

spacer.png

I run one side first (holding the opposite joint) then check the tightness, then run the other side and check it. Then I feel happy that everything is sitting comfortably and the diff isn't loosening

Two lovely ball diffs with aluminium pulleys and lightweight diff joints.

spacer.png

It's a shame those lovely aluminium pulleys will end up hidden beneath plastic gearbox covers, but I'LL KNOW THEY'RE THERE. And that's what counts...

If you stack 'em one atop the other, you get your own Radio City Tower (niche reference, if you know your history :lol:)

spacer.png

Ball diff therapy has done the trick, I feel much better now. Annnnnnd, breeeeeeaathe....

• Like 7

Now the diffs are built, they need a home, so it's on to the rear gear case. This is where that random 5x3.5mm spacer comes in, and also what I think will be the only tapping screw in the build as everything else is replaced by hex head machine screws :)

spacer.png

The spacer and 730 bearing screw into the base of the gear case to create another runner for the rear belt, the rear diff pulley will sit right above the bearing.

spacer.png

This doesn't feature in the S/SS build, so is an extra point of interest. Wonder if it makes any difference?

• Like 3

Have you seen the reinforced gearcase 49203?

Apart from being reinforced it comes a with a blue aluminium spacer. 

On 10/13/2021 at 10:47 AM, svenb said:

Have you seen the reinforced gearcase 49203?

Apart from being reinforced it comes a with a blue aluminium spacer. 

Yeah, with the blue bulkhead beam? Couldn't find it anywhere 

EDIT: I've just found one. In New Zealand. And yes, I did....so I guess this build's going back on hold for a little while :lol:

Threadit!

At this point, it's time to accept I have a problem and just turn this into a bits-a-build project thread. Projects can stop and start as parts come in, or are found to be missing and need to be ordered and waited on. 

So, while I'm waiting on the reinforced gear case for the TA-04, time to turn my attention to the TA-02SW

This is my TA-02SW. There are many like it, but this one is mine 

spacer.png

It's the 30th 40th Anniversary 934 RSR kit, and because it sits under a body with a 230mm wheelbase, it's been built using the excellent 230mm maxspeed carbon fibre parts 

Which meant I ended up with a full set of FRP chassis plates left over

spacer.png

I also have an unbuilt Lancia 037 TA02S, so my initial plan was to use the left over plates and convert it into a double deck FRP chassis

spacer.png

So over the last couple of years I've been buying the odd part here, the odd part there, to upgrade the Lancia when I come to build it. But then decided it's a bit daft to put that lovely FRP chassis into a rally car, which would be better off with its plastic tub for rougher terrain. So I unpacked the box, and pulled out all the hop ups and parts I had collected.

Yikes!

spacer.png

To be fair, those 44mm DCJs are actual 44mm Universals that came with a TA07Pro I bought off a fellow TC member, who had upgraded it to DCJs at the front but included the original kit Universals in the sale. So they're cost neutral, right?

But, it all seems a bit OTT for the Lancia. I'd also bought red front and rear gearbox A and B parts for the Lancia, thinking they would be a nice touch underneath the Lancia livery, so I had spare black A and B parts, and had also picked up the J parts needed for the FRP conversion.

In essence, there was an awful lot of a 236mm TA02SW there. So I went looking into shells with the right wheelbase, and found out about the old classic Taisan Porsche 911 GT2

spacer.png

It's a beautiful thing, there are some interesting paint options, MCI has some cool sticker options, and good old Tony had the shell in stock. And I've already got the rims, so...sounds like time for a TA02-SW Porsche 911 GT2 bits-a-build :)

The original TA02-SW 911 GT2 was a more basic kit than the 30th Anniversary version. Plastic tub chassis, standard dogbones, coat hanger prop shaft, plastic motor mount, etc. Same goes for the re-released 'Street' version

So this will be a major upgrade on those kits, essentially a 30th 40th Anniversary TA02-SW paired with a body that actually matches its wheelbase :D

• Like 5

Oh, a key parts find that made this (slightly) more viable, was this bag-o'-bits from Tamico. They sell it as a 'TA02 Metal Parts Bundle', for €16.80!!

spacer.png

It includes:

• all metal parts / hardware for ball diff (I'd already got ahead of myself and built the ball diff before I remembered to take this photo!)
  • all metal parts for gear diff
  • gear shafts and prop joints
  • all metal and rubber parts for CVA damper build
  • Ball diff grease and damper oil
  • screwpins, flanged tubes, nuts, ball connectors, washers and o-rings
  • Loads of tapping screws, metal bearings and plastic bushings (already in the bin :lol:)

It's a bloomin' bargain for €16, considering a Manta Ray ball diff alone costs €23. True, that comes with outdrives and the diff spur gear, but the G parts tree (which is needed anyway even if you do buy the MR diff) was only an extra €7 and I already had the hardened outdrives

All 3mm screws are being replaced with hex head machine screws from my stash, so the thread tapping drill will get used throughout. I had nearly all the bearings in the spares box, just needed to order a couple of extra 1260s

spacer.png

The ball diff is a real joy to build, such a different animal to the TA-04 ball diffs. With that big heavy metal core it feels quite agricultural compared to the TA-04 diffs, which seem to be the approach that Tamiya have taken with most other ball diffs since, certainly ones I've built in touring cars and the DF03

So that's the front gearbox built! The only upgrade was using a full 1150 Thrust Bearing in the diff rather than the build-your-own plastic job that it came with

spacer.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

It's the 30th Anniversary 934 RSR kit, and because it sits under a body with a 230mm wheelbase, it's been built using the excellent 230mm maxspeed carbon fibre parts

The 30th Anniversary kit was a TA-05 MS :) 

Have you received the GT2 body from Tony's? Just wondering if all the holes (including the antenna hole) is pre-drilled like in the pictures. 

5 minutes ago, TurboRSR said:

The 30th Anniversary kit was a TA-05 MS :) 

Fair point, I meant the 40th! I've got the 30th too, it's an absolute beauty. In fact I've got two, one built and one NIB in the loft. I'm an idiot.

5 minutes ago, TurboRSR said:

Have you received the GT2 body from Tony's? Just wondering if all the holes (including the antenna hole) is pre-drilled like in the pictures. 

Not yet, I'm assuming all the holes are going to be right for a TA02 though...

Ordered the last body from Tony's right now, going to use it for my pre-ordered 45th Anniversary :) Bought the wing/mirror kit from Tamico earlier this year since they had it in stock, just in case :)

The TA-02 does make you make motor and pinion choices very early!

I fancied something a bit 'period' for this, and remembered that I had a Dynarun Racing Stock motor in the M03 Mini box (it was a recommended Hop Up in the M03 manual). I also had a 66T spur left over from the Speed-Tuned Gear Set I'd used in the 40th 934 RSR build, so dug that out too

spacer.png

Turns out that the Racing Stock has a recommended setting for the TA-02, which is a bonus. And....it's recommended paired with a 66T spur, which is better still! This means the un-opened 53127 set can go somewhere else, and the opened one is fully utilised. A RW Racing 24T steel 06 mod pinion completes the picture 

spacer.png

Gratuitous mounted motor shot...

spacer.png

• Like 4

When it came to assembling the rear arms I decided to try something different and use suspension shafts rather than screwpins

The TL01 suspension shaft set is a direct swap for the 46/32mm screwpins 

spacer.png

But when it came to fitting them I found that while the 48.5mm shaft was pretty much bob on, the 37mm shaft was quite a bit too long and took a 1.5mm spacer each end between the arm and the e-clip

spacer.png spacer.png

With the spacers in though it all fit together really well. Pretty pleased with that, everything moves nice and freely and definitely feels like a more elegant solution than screw pins anyways

And that's the rear end finished. I've stuck with the kit upper arms for now but might swap them out for something more adjustable at some point

spacer.png

• Like 1

The GT2 Shell arrived! I think I've settled on a paint and sticker theme too, nothing particularly original but it'll work for me 

spacer.png

• Like 5

And today had been going so well....

After the success with the suspension pins in the rear, I cracked on with the front. Thanks to this thread I learned that the two 22mm screw pins can be replaced by 25.3mm suspension shafts, which I happened to have in the spares box! No idea what they were left over from, but I had 'em :)

spacer.png

And they fit like a glove ;)

spacer.png

However, those front UCJs that came with the TA07Pro, did not fit :(

The shafts are fine, but the axle is a different shape and won't fit inside the massive 1510 bearing that sits inside the front upright.

spacer.png

The TA02SW uses a completely different front axle (19804879)...and not just completely different to the TA07, but completely different to EVERY OTHER KIT!!! Tamiyabase lists it as only compatible with the 40th Anniversary TA02SW :rolleyes:

spacer.png

Nowhere in the UK stocks it, but Tamico (and their minimum €160 order value) have got them. Sigh!

So it's back to the shops I go, and this one is now on hold too. Bah!

Really great project, definitly waiting for the result.

I can't find body shell on Tony's shop. I only get Gt3 or Gt1. Thats a pretty neat livery.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Goudar said:

I can't find body shell on Tony's shop. I only get Gt3 or Gt1. Thats a pretty neat livery.

Think he only had a couple unfortunately. He may get more, it’s always worth sending him a message because if he can help, he will 👍

• Thanks 1

Thanks, I will try to contact him when my 45th anniversary Porsche going to land on my desk. It could be a nice alternativ shell.

I keep an eye on your topic for final result. :)

• Like 1

While now waiting on two new front axles, I did push on this morning and build the dampers. Nothing much to report there, pretty standard stuff

Having done that, I decided to go back and take another look at the upper arm mounts. In my efforts to reduce self tapping screws, I'd found a way to ditch the screw pins and replace them with suspension shafts. Note to self, and search engines everywhere:

Screw pins can be replaced by suspension shafts:

• 46mm screw pin = 48.5mm suspension shaft (54213 or available in sets 53301 and 53479)
  • 38mm screw pin = 41mm suspension shaft (54469 or in set 53309)
  • 32mm screw pin = 37mm suspension shaft (54212 or available in set 53301)
  • 22mm screw pin = 25.3mm suspension shaft (eg 19805683 or available in sets 53479 and 53309)

But I hadn't done anything about the step screws that attach the upper arms to the damper stays and uprights. So I dug out the spares box and went looking for flanged tubes 

Rear upper arms attach to the damper mount using a 3x8mm step screw. This can be replaced by a 3x5mm flanged tube and a 3x10mm screw

spacer.png

It was a fluke / good idea to leave one of the original step screws in place and work on the other side first, so I could guage how much play there was in the original fitting and how freely it moved, and tighten up the new fixing accordingly. 

The upper arms attach to the rear upright using a 3x18mm step screw, which can be replaced by a 3x6mm flanged tube and a 16mm machine screw

spacer.png

Even though the original step screw was a self-tapper, the replacement machine screw went in nicely and feels good and secure, so that's the rear end with all step screws and screw pins replaced, which is pretty satisfying

spacer.png

Same with the front arms. Damper mount is attached with a 3x10mm step screw which can be replaced by a 3x5mm flanged tube and a 10mm screw

spacer.png

They attach to the front upright holder using a 3x18mm step screw. I initially replaced it with a 3x6mm flanged tube and an 18mm screw....but then realised that the original step screw fixing comes right through the upright holder and out the other side:wacko:. So I reduced it to a 15mm screw, which was a much better fit, and again the replacement machine screw went into the original self-tappers thread without issue

spacer.png

spacer.png

Front end done :)

spacer.png

• Like 1

A little bit more fixing footering this morning. While the upper damper mounts are all ball connectors, the lower mounts use a combination of long self tapping screws and flanged tubes. But the damper cylinders are the same material top and bottom, so no reason why they shouldn't be ok on a ball connector at both ends

The front was straightforward enough, it's a 'flush' fit to the lower arms so I just replaced the screw and tube with a ball connector

The rear adds a 2mm spacer between the arm and the damper, so I dug out a couple of these longer ball connectors (19805611) which give you more length to add the spacer and still get a good thread into the plastic

spacer.png

The 2mm spacers I have are blue, and I want to avoid any blue on this build, so I used a combination of one 1.5mm and one 0.5mm spacer on each side

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

The 2mm spacers I have are blue, and I want to avoid any blue on this build

Except the hex driver of course 😉

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, svenb said:

Except the hex driver of course 😉

Well, you know, what with all them hex head screws....

• Haha 1