The evidence of insanity...48 header cards plus numerous instruction leaflets

spacer.png

And despite best efforts there were still some leftovers, including yet another pile of Tamiya shrapnel!

spacer.png

Still, far fewer leftover parts than when I started this project, and nowhere near enough to even consider adding to them to create another chassis. So this little bits-a-build chapter is definitely CLOSED! Phew....

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

So, so nice. 

Cheers Cy, the TA04 is such a classy chassis  👍

How are you getting on with mod’ing and racing yours? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Cheers Cy, the TA04 is such a classy chassis  👍

How are you getting on with mod’ing and racing yours? 

Mods are done for now. Ran it at the track the other week and it was a bit of a handful then I broke something. Was pretty nice though, and nearly there. I have since changed the setup and sorted the gearing. Hoping to run again soon. Outdoor seasons starts in May. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matisse said:

Another belter, great job!

Cheers 👍

• Like 1

In the true spirit of a bits-a-build, I managed to get hold of some more primo bits...the last parts needed to make the TA04-TRF an absolute uber-build :wub:

spacer.png

The hen's-teeth blue steering arms will replace the silver arms I initially installed, and the dampers replace the 42102 set

spacer.png

spacer.png

Dampers first...

spacer.png

The older set have smooth caps compared to the ridged caps on the 42102 set, and they come in that darker shade of blue that matches some of the other bits on the 04-TRF, such as the front stabiliser mount block, stabiliser rod ends, steering posts and front body posts

The springs are also a brighter yellow, which matches the colour of the stabiliser rods

spacer.png

Other than that it's pretty standard TRF damper fare...

spacer.png

Must be period correct, as the TA04 is included in the settings table! (no o-ring inside the cylinder, yellow oil)

spacer.png

As always, they were given a good rest to let the air bubbles work their way out

spacer.png

And that's them done, lined up with the 42102 set to show the colour differences

spacer.png

Then onto the final finishing touch, those lovely steering arms. Man was I chuffed to find a set of these B)

spacer.png

• Like 1

A simple enough job to remove the upper deck and lift off the silver arms, ready to rebuild the steering with the blue ones

spacer.png

spacer.png

And they're in! That's the chassis build done...and I really mean it this time :lol:

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Now, time to do a little bit more tidy-up sanding on the GT3 shell and then....paint!

spacer.png

• Like 1

Switching gears back to the TA02-SW bits-a-build....

I recently got hold of and installed a set of lightweight King Pins, so every screw and bolt on here now is a hex-head, which is deeply pleasing :D

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've also made a start on the body set....I do love these boxed body sets, I wish they were easier to get hold of in the UK rather than the cellophane-bag jobbies :wub:

spacer.png

So far I've sprayed the wing sections black, and have masked off the grill ready to paint the rest to match the body

spacer.png

• Like 2

Weird isn't it that some come in boxes and others in cellophane.

I've got a couple of Capri body sets in both🤔

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, svenb said:

Weird isn't it that some come in boxes and others in cellophane.

I've got a couple of Capri body sets in both🤔

I think its a geography thing. Browsing Japanese Yahoo auctions you can get pretty much any body set you want in a box at pretty decent prices, but the shipping costs are 😱 

Europe seems to just get the cellophane bags apart from the odd occasion when Tony gets a boxed one 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

The boxes rule though 😃

I had also tracked down this stabiliser set thinking it would make a cool finishing touch to this bits-a-build project. YAY!

spacer.png

But a quick positional check made me suspect the bar is too short, and a chat with m' learned colleague @svenb confirmed that this part is for your standard TA02, not the short and wide variant. BOOOOOO!

So rather than using this hop up as a finishing touch for a TA02-SW, turns out I actually need an entire TA02 to use as a finishing touch for the hop up :lol:

Hmmmm, maybe not the best idea.

Tamiya 53189; coming soon to a global auction site near you.....

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Superluminal said:

The stabilzer bar set is a good base for a Racing Special build.

image.gif

• Haha 1

So, it's probably worth a little rationale on the livery choice...

While I love the GT2 shell, I'm not that keen on the Taisan Starcard livery, something about the red, yellow and blue on the black doesn't work for me. So I went looking for options.

Browsing MCI's website, I searched for 'GT2', and came across a Jagermeister sticker set for a GT2 . Hmmmm...this got me thinking

A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to pick up one of the 40th Anniversary 934s. I got the Jagermeister version, but never really felt that the livery suited the shape of the shell. It just didn't sit right somehow.

So I painted it in a JPS livery, which I love. But I also sold off the Jagermeister sticker sheet, which was probably a dumb move.

But anyway....

It felt pretty neat to dress this GT2 in the Jagermeister livery, as a kind of tribute to the 934 kit that I took my own way, whilst still taking this GT2 in my own direction too.

So, I did a bit more searching and.....well, seems quite a few people had the same thought already! There are a number of Jagermiester GT2s in the showrooms here, as well as a particularly beautiful one by our very own @Truck Norris over on Tamiyabase; I can only aspire to the man's level of skill and detail!

So, this is nothing hugely original, and not even close to the pinnacle of the examples that are out there. But my journey towards it is my own..

My Jagermeister 911 GT2, in tribute to my 40th Anniversary 934.

spacer.png

I also used a couple of stickers off a replica Taisan Starcard sheet, as a nod to the 'proper' livery for this bodyshell (drivers' names, numbers, Mizwa stickers, and a Taisan sticker on the underside of the wing)

• Like 2