Threadit: This began as a TA04 build, which quickly became a TA04-SS kit rebuild followed by a TA04-TRF bits-a-build. Essentially building a super-hopped-up TA04 without a base kit, just all parts sourced from the web and spares.

I then realised that this is a thing I do. Looking for parts for one build, getting over excited and buying so many hop ups and parts that the original kit has so many left overs, you can almost build a second car. With just a few more parts.

I love the research, I love the list building, I love the quest to search these parts down. I love working out how it will all fit together. And I love building them.

I realised that in various boxes around the place (primarily hidden in the loft :ph34r:) I have nearly all parts needed to build:

• TA04-TRF (Mercedes AGM CLK-DTM Mercedes AMG-GT3 Audi V8 Touring) Build complete /  body to finish
  • TA04-R (Mercedes CLK GTR Original Teile Audi R8 LMS) Build complete /  body to finish
  • TA04-R/TRF (Ford Mondeo BTTC)
  • TA02-SW (Porsche 911 GT2) Complete 
  • TA02-W (Nissan 300ZX IMSA)
  • TB Evo III (Mercedes 190E Skyline GT-R R32) Build complete /  body to finish
  • FF03-RR (Peugeot 306 Maxi Alfa 155 V6TI) Build complete /  body to finish
  • TT02 Type S (Audi R8 Nissan R390 GT1)

So rather than do a build thread for each, I thought I'd edit this thread (Threadit! Geddit?) and turn it into a bits-a-build project thread

My name's Juhunio, and I'm a bits-a-build addict.

So, back over to the original thread....the threadit kicks in on page 3 starting with a TA02-SW 911 GT2

Then continues here with the TA04-R

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread begins with a body shell. An AMG CLK-DTM 2002 shell, to be precise

spacer.png

It's a beautiful thing, and I had planned to put it on an Evo3 build that's somewhere in the works. But it came pre-drilled with body post holes for posts mounted on the front damper mount, not the bumper :(

So I needed another chassis for it. I already have a couple of TT02s, and really enjoyed the experience of building the more retro TB-02, so thought I would go back in time once again....

A bit of research showed that the TA-04 had body posts in the right place, and also had a bit of a quirk in the two-belt drive system. I've got a TA-05 and TA-07, so the TA-04 sounded like an interesting bet

I found a built but mint condition TA-04SS Audi TT-R DTM, which came with an unpainted body shell and TRF dampers

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So I figured this would do the trick! Swap the rear arms to those from an S or R to achieve the 257mm wheelbase, and I would have an interesting build and a home for the AMG shell :D

But then I started investigating TA-04 hop ups and, well.....:blink:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

First things first, strip the chassis down and check everything was in place. Other than some cracks in the tyres, everything looks immaculate. The kit servo saver is missing which is no great shakes, and on the upside the SS came with full ball bearings and some turnbuckles as standard, and there were a few other turnbuckles and adjusters in the kit box too, which is a nice bonus

spacer.png

I gave all the diff and drive shaft parts a good clean to get all the old grease off, and dismantled the TRF shocks and gave them a clean too.

spacer.png

Then all the plastic bits got a bit of a refresh with some hot soapy water, though to be honest I was dealing with little more than a bit of dust and a wee bit of grease residue on the rear gearbox. It's all pretty much spotless!

spacer.png

So with a set of 'standard' suspension arms it should be all set for a quick, cheap rebuild yeah?!

Wait, what's that? You can still get some hop ups for the TA-04 you say? Hmm....interesting 

• Like 8

I'm very interested in this mate, love the 04.

I've a pair of rear arms if you want them? 

As for hop ups😳 there's still a load out there but some are incredibly rare and expensive, makes things easier if you don't go "Blue". 

Carbon chassis's are lovely 😉

• Like 2

On 9/6/2021 at 8:33 PM, svenb said:

I'm very interested in this mate, love the 04.

I've a pair of rear arms if you want them? 

As for hop ups😳 there's still a load out there but some are incredibly rare and expensive, makes things easier if you don't go "Blue". 

Carbon chassis's are lovely 😉

Oh, yes please on the arms! Nice one, I’ll PM you 👍

I’ve got a few hop ups, mostly at fair enough prices from Hobby Stores in New Zealand, Belgium, Sweden and Poland. I love the search!

That includes carbon fibre damper mounts and upper deck. Think I’m going to keep it tub though 😉

Still hunting for a few others…but they are the very spenny ones 🥺

I'm definitely going to go for ball diffs, and have tracked down all the bits including one of the blingy Aluminium diff pulleys. Still on the look out for another one...

spacer.png

• Like 3

Stabilisers, turnbuckles, shafts, hub carriers, low friction belts, DCJs for the front, lightweight universals for the rear  

spacer.png spacer.png

• Like 4

Carbon bits and bobs. I don't think they ever made the battery holders in CF, only SSG. Might keep on looking out for the other bits in SSG...

spacer.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Carbon bits and bobs. I don't think they ever made the battery holders in CF, only SSG. Might keep on looking out for the other bits in SSG...

spacer.png

Don't think I've seen the holders in carbon fibre. I've got the carbon chassis on my 04 and ta01 FRP battery retainers are the right size on mine which may mean they'll fit the tub chassis, upside of that is there could be a carbon after market part🤔

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, svenb said:

Don't think I've seen the holders in carbon fibre. I've got the carbon chassis on my 04 and ta01 FRP battery retainers are the right size on mine which may mean they'll fit the tub chassis, upside of that is there could be a carbon after market part🤔

I had a quick look at Fibre Lyte and they don't make 'em. Hunting down the SSG upper deck and damper mounts remains an option

To be honest it's got to the point where I've found so many parts that I'm veering towards rebuilding the SS to manual spec and painting the TT shell, then piecing together a second TA04 S/R/Pro hybrid from hop ups and OG parts trees for the Merc shell :lol:

I never really fancied the TT with the yellow / Hasseroder livery and it didn't come with the Red Bull sticker sheet, but I think I've sorted that out with MCI....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I had a quick look at Fibre Lyte and they don't make 'em. Hunting down the SSG upper deck and damper mounts remains an option

To be honest it's got to the point where I've found so many parts that I'm veering towards rebuilding the SS to manual spec and painting the TT shell, then piecing together a second TA04 S/R/Pro hybrid from hop ups and OG parts trees for the Merc shell :lol:

I never really fancied the TT with the yellow / Hasseroder livery and it didn't come with the Red Bull sticker sheet, but I think I've sorted that out with MCI....

If you all the hardware then that will make it easier enough but buying the odd gear shaft, parts tree or some other unique part does mount up

Reinforced arms👍

Fitted but not used 16310461385082948271230226324587.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, svenb said:

If you all the hardware then that will make it easier enough but buying the odd gear shaft, parts tree or some other unique part does mount up

Agreed. The bits I have found (ball diff bits and bobs, DCJ / Universal parts, racing hub carriers, suspension shafts, turnbuckles, spur gear holder and the TRF dampers that came with the chassis) seem to cover most of it. I've found a pulley stopper, and guessing (hoping) a few other screws and spacers will come in the chassis set?? All the plastic parts trees seem cheap enough

I'm good for all standard screws, washers, nuts, spacers, connectors and bolts...but there are a few oddities in Bag C that might prove tricksy :wacko:

The few aluminium bits I have been able to gather plus the TRF dampers that came on the SS...the rear suspension blocks are proving very elusive, and the blue steering set is nowhere to be found 

spacer.png

• Like 1

All of a sudden I missed my TA04R. I gave it to my son when he was 8 years old. He converted it to a drift car. Wrecked it. Haha!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

The few aluminium bits I have been able to gather plus the TRF dampers that came on the SS...the rear suspension blocks are proving very elusive, and the blue steering set is nowhere to be found 

spacer.png

Blue😲

I found a blue steering set in Australia, that took a lot of searching, admittedly I never used the Japanese sites! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Room335 said:

I always enjoy your builds @Juhunio. What are you planning for those shells? Box art or custom?

Probably box art, particularly if the repro TT Red Bull stickers are good enough 

The Merc in the silver / Vodafone livery just looks great IMO 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, svenb said:

Blue😲

I found a blue steering set in Australia, that took a lot of searching, admittedly I never used the Japanese sites! 

The bulk of these parts came from NZ, parts were pretty cheap but shipping was pricey, but in the end it worked out about $1 per item so 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

I’ve seen a blue steering set on (I think) a Korean auction site, but I cannot get my head around it at all

• Like 1

Looking forward to the result! I've gone off the deep end with my TA04's recently too. Hoarding parts now from Japan. Such cool cars :) 

You'll need a couple of plastic bits to be able to fit the carbon upperdeck mostly. The belt tentioner is different and you need some bushings above the steering wipers. If you can't find them original I've drawn them up for 3D printing. They are not available on my shop but I can put them there if you'd be interested.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tizer said:

Looking forward to the result! I've gone off the deep end with my TA04's recently too. Hoarding parts now from Japan. Such cool cars :) 

You'll need a couple of plastic bits to be able to fit the carbon upperdeck mostly. The belt tentioner is different and you need some bushings above the steering wipers. If you can't find them original I've drawn them up for 3D printing. They are not available on my shop but I can put them there if you'd be interested.

Yup, I've got the K2 (tensioner) and K5 (steering bushing) parts, they were unused on the SS and the original parts trees and leftovers came with the kit

I thought I might get away with not needing a new K tree at all (with the hop up damper mounts, steering assembly and hubs) but seems like I need those two little K11s for the belt tensioner assembly. Gah! 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 2:26 PM, Juhunio said:

If you get in touch with them and send the dimensions across, they could cut you a set anyway. They didn't make Thundershot wing mounts either, untiI I asked them to. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TurnipJF said:

If you get in touch with them and send the dimensions across, they could cut you a set anyway. They didn't make Thundershot wing mounts either, untiI asked them to. 

Good shout :)

A few more key parts arrived yesterday, including a couple of parts trees, so I reckon the 04R bits-a-build is on 😀

Gearboxes, body mounts, spur gears…

spacer.png

Uprights, centre shaft, bumper and pulley stopper 

spacer.png

I’m going to keep hunting for another aluminium diff pulley and the rear suspension blocks, so in the meantime I’ll crack on with the SS TT rebuild 🙂

• Like 3

So on with the SS TT build then, which is going to be completely kit stock and then painted and stickered in the Red Bull livery :D

Got the full rear gearbox built this afternoon, starting with the gear diffs. A pretty straightforward build with three small bevel gears on a star, in between two large bevels. The diffs are wide and shallow compared to, say, a TT02 diff, the difference between shaft and belt drive I guess. They move really smoothly with a light covering of AW grease in there (as opposed to the ceramic grease suggested by the manual)

spacer.png

spacer.png

All parts and hardware at the ready, and a new cutting mat to work on :)

spacer.png

I'm going to re-use all the original tapping screws for the rebuild, which will require that extra bit of care to ensure each screw goes back into the original thread rather than cutting a new one. There is something very satisfying about turning a tapping screw anti-clockwise until that moment when it drops back into the old thread B)

One thing clear from dismantling the chassis is that the original builder wasn't very careful with removing the plastic parts from the parts trees, there are a lot of little burrs all over the place, so even though I'm rebuilding it stock, I can still trim all that excess off and make for a better, cleaner 2nd build. So it was worth stripping it and rebuilding it 😂

spacer.png

• Like 2