Having landed the motherload of TB02/R parts today, I found that it contained the Surikarn front and rear damper stays. It says on them that they fit the Evo III as long as you have the 53628 Aluminium Upper Arm Mounts (which I do), so I decided to fit them to the Evo III

spacer.png

They're quite cool; the stock Evo III parts replicate the arm mount positions from the aluminium part, so you don't actually need the aluminium part as the upper arms still connect to the damper stay

spacer.png

But the Surikarn parts don't have that mount pattern, forcing you to use the aluminium arm mount. So the bling gains some purpose, which is nice

spacer.png

One last peak at the blue front one-way while the gearbox is open :wub:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not sure about the 6mm ball nut and connector method of attaching the arm to the mount, I'm pretty sure a standard 5mm ball nut and connector would do just fine and look a bit more elegant. I might well switch it at some point 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, svenb said:

I've got one on a TA04, think I have spacers pushing the posts back. I'll take a pic

Admittedly not a very neat solution! Working on a different more "factory" set up

DSC_0442.JPG

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I probably will get the new Ford GT shell too at some point, to put on something more modern like a TA07 or 08

Excellent choice there 👍🏻 
I was really impressed with that shell, mine sits on a TT02R. It was a bit of a pig for extensive masking and to get paint in a couple of areas (kinda Giulia bonnet but not quite as bad..) and 2 large decal sheets to keep you busy if going box art, but a beauty when it’s done though and definitely worthy of a more quality chassis than a TT as you suggest.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=138930&id=49381

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

It was a bit of a pig for extensive masking and to get paint in a couple of areas (kinda Giulia bonnet but not quite as bad..)

oh no 😳 I still find it hard to look at the front of my Giulia 😂

Yours looks beautiful though, well worth the effort 👍 

I've found a set of 26mm rims that are quite close to the Tamiya suggestion but also work with reversible arms, which will make it a good option for a TA07 or 08 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, svenb said:

Admittedly not a very neat solution!

I'm pretty sure I rough tested something similar on my TA04, as well as the longer reach posts on a TA03, and neither were quite right. As you know, the problem with all the spacers is you lose the second anchor on the arms which means they rotate on the damper stay 🙄

10 hours ago, svenb said:

Working on a different more "factory" set up

Keep me posted, will be a game changer to be able to get that shell securely on something other than an FF01 👍

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 10:16 PM, svenb said:

Going to be a busy boy then Matt!

Mrs J has just informed me that Strictly starts again this weekend, so it's a good job I've got loads to do 😂

• Haha 1

On 9/21/2022 at 7:03 AM, svenb said:

DSC_0442.JPG

On 9/21/2022 at 4:43 PM, Juhunio said:

I'm pretty sure I rough tested something similar on my TA04, as well as the longer reach posts on a TA03, and neither were quite right. As you know, the problem with all the spacers is you lose the second anchor on the arms which means they rotate on the damper stay 🙄

Keep me posted, will be a game changer to be able to get that shell securely on something other than an FF01 👍

A cross brace from a M08 might help stop the rotation?
Centre to Centre for the posts it measures 70mm.

3B8DBAD3-7104-424E-82D6-D424EFB7C2C3.md.

(A Parts tree 51595)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

A cross brace from a M08 might help stop the rotation?
Centre to Centre for the posts it measures 70mm.

That's a good shout, I've got a carbon fibre touring car crossmember (54783) somewhere that would do the same job

I'll give it a go...it should work, as long as the o-rings secure the bar tightly enough to stop the mounts rotating in parallel and shifting from a rectangle to a parallelogram, if you know what I mean?

• Like 3

Little bit of painting progress while waiting for parts to arrive for the Evo III

The R8 shell for the TA04-R is coming along nicely. Hours and hours of masking, three different paint colours, quite a bit of polycarbonate clean up in between each colour, then hours getting those stickers around the bonnet and front grill right with copious amounts of water spray and hairdryer time :blink: It's a beast of a thing to work on, but the results are pretty good so far

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'll finish the rest of the stickers over the winter :)

• Like 6

On 9/21/2022 at 7:43 AM, Juhunio said:

@Juhunio bit simpler than expected!

The rear damper spacers from the TB Evo 5 B parts 51253, need two spacers each side.

DSC_0454.JPG

• Like 2

On 9/29/2022 at 10:38 PM, svenb said:

@Juhunio bit simpler than expected!

The rear damper spacers from the TB Evo 5 B parts 51253, need two spacers each side.

DSC_0454.JPG

Nice work!

So, is that the long-reach body post from the 53426 Racing Body Mount set, plus 4x spacers from the Evo V A Parts (51253)?

If so, it looks like the Evo V doesn't actually use those spacers so I'll have one pair ready to use and would just need an extra 51253!

56 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

Nice work!

So, is that the long-reach body post from the 53426 Racing Body Mount set, plus 4x spacers from the Evo V A Parts (51253)?

If so, it looks like the Evo V doesn't actually use those spacers so I'll have one pair ready to use and would just need an extra 51253!

Yes that's right 👍🏼

There is other chassis's that use the 51253 and don't use the spacers the TA07 ms for example 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, svenb said:

Yes that's right 👍🏼

There is other chassis's that use the 51253 and don't use the spacers the TA07 ms for example 

Genius! It's a really good fit, and nice and secure too!

spacer.png

I just need another TA04 to put it on now 😂

• Like 6

The last few necessary parts arrived, so I've been able to pick the Evo III build back up again 😃

spacer.png

Really chuffed to have found the bumper and the proper steering link at last. The TB-03 link set would have worked ok, but it's always good to have spot-on parts

First step was to reinstall the steering with the correct link

spacer.png

• Like 4

Next up was motor choice, and I wanted something suitably retro. I settled on this Dyna-Run Racing Stock, as its gear ratio of around 6.7 works well with the Evo III's FDR, which ranges from 4.6-7.3. The vintage Super Stocks I have have higher ratios than that, so the Racing Stock was the best choice 

The leaflet with the motor doesn't actually specify an ideal ratio, but the back of the box does offer recommended pinion choices for TA03-F and TA03F-Pro, so I was able to work it out from that. The kit 96T spur and a hard coated 37T pinion gives me 6.75

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

After a fun-filled weekend of Halloween craic with my two young nephews, I got a couple of hours to spend on the Evo III this afternoon. With the steering built properly and the motor installed, it was time to attach the upper deck, remembering to screw the antenna mount to the deck before you attach it to the chassis

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

And then onto the stabilisers. I went for yellow for pure aesthetics, as whatever I end up doing with the dampers, the springs will be yellow

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

I haven't 100% committed to a damper plan for this one yet, so I skipped forwards and attached the front bumper and body posts. I was lucky enough to find a few sets of these 53617 parts in stock so now have them on my TA04-TRF, TB02-R and this Evo III

spacer.png

The bumper build is a little odd, in that the posts attach to the bumper support, but there's no recess in the urethane bumper for the screw heads to sit into, they just squish into the urethane. It's not necessarily a problem, but just a bit clumsy maybe in a chassis that is otherwise so precise

spacer.png

Still, the aluminium posts and carbon bumper support look great together 😀

spacer.png

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, svenb said:

Blue dampers mate blue 😉

Oh for sure, just can’t settle on which blue dampers 🤔

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:

Oh for sure, just can’t settle on which blue dampers 🤔

49293 seems to be about right period wise

• Like 1

Now then, dampers....

I had originally intended to use the 49293 TRF Damper Set for this build but, inspired by @wtcc5's TB02-R build thread and with the kind help of @Mokei Kagaku, I managed to get hold of a set of these damper cylinders

spacer.png

They seem the right choice for this build, which is essentially an all-blue Evo III. The Evo III kit aluminium parts were grey and the damper cylinders were also grey with smooth upper and lower caps. So these parts, in the right blue and with smooth caps, are a good match with the rest of the Evo III Blue Conversion Kit and in spirit with the original kit

spacer.png

They also further demonstrate how the 49293 set is a completely different shade of blue...does anyone know why they were produced in this colour?

• Like 5

On 11/16/2022 at 2:18 PM, Juhunio said:

Now then, dampers....

I had originally intended to use the 49293 TRF Damper Set for this build but, inspired by @wtcc5's TB02-R build thread and with the kind help of @Mokei Kagaku, I managed to get hold of a set of these damper cylinders

spacer.png

They seem the right choice for this build, which is essentially an all-blue Evo III. The Evo III kit aluminium parts were grey and the damper cylinders were also grey with smooth upper and lower caps. So these parts, in the right blue and with smooth caps, are a good match with the rest of the Evo III Blue Conversion Kit and in spirit with the original kit

spacer.png

They also further demonstrate how the 49293 set is a completely different shade of blue...does anyone know why they were produced in this colour?

Hangover Monday morning.

Someone just pressed the wrong button on the anodizing machine.

• Haha 2

Still waiting on some titanium coated shafts to build out the dampers for the Evo III...

...but yesterday another job lot of TA04 parts arrived from Japan, which contained these lovely aluminium steering arms for my TA04-RR project

spacer.png

So I fitted them today 😃

spacer.png

spacer.png

A nice finishing touch! Just need to complete the stickers and this one will be done 😃

• Like 4