Juhunio

WIP: TB Evolution III / Juhunio's Bits-A-Builds

Having landed the motherload of TB02/R parts today, I found that it contained the Surikarn front and rear damper stays. It says on them that they fit the Evo III as long as you have the 53628 Aluminium Upper Arm Mounts (which I do), so I decided to fit them to the Evo III

spacer.png

They're quite cool; the stock Evo III parts replicate the arm mount positions from the aluminium part, so you don't actually need the aluminium part as the upper arms still connect to the damper stay

spacer.png

But the Surikarn parts don't have that mount pattern, forcing you to use the aluminium arm mount. So the bling gains some purpose, which is nice

spacer.png

One last peak at the blue front one-way while the gearbox is open :wub:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not sure about the 6mm ball nut and connector method of attaching the arm to the mount, I'm pretty sure a standard 5mm ball nut and connector would do just fine and look a bit more elegant. I might well switch it at some point 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, svenb said:

I've got one on a TA04, think I have spacers pushing the posts back. I'll take a pic

Admittedly not a very neat solution! Working on a different more "factory" set up

DSC_0442.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Juhunio said:

I probably will get the new Ford GT shell too at some point, to put on something more modern like a TA07 or 08

Excellent choice there 👍🏻 
I was really impressed with that shell, mine sits on a TT02R. It was a bit of a pig for extensive masking and to get paint in a couple of areas (kinda Giulia bonnet but not quite as bad..) and 2 large decal sheets to keep you busy if going box art, but a beauty when it’s done though and definitely worthy of a more quality chassis than a TT as you suggest.

https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=138930&id=49381

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

It was a bit of a pig for extensive masking and to get paint in a couple of areas (kinda Giulia bonnet but not quite as bad..)

oh no 😳 I still find it hard to look at the front of my Giulia 😂

Yours looks beautiful though, well worth the effort 👍 

I've found a set of 26mm rims that are quite close to the Tamiya suggestion but also work with reversible arms, which will make it a good option for a TA07 or 08 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, svenb said:

Admittedly not a very neat solution!

I'm pretty sure I rough tested something similar on my TA04, as well as the longer reach posts on a TA03, and neither were quite right. As you know, the problem with all the spacers is you lose the second anchor on the arms which means they rotate on the damper stay 🙄

10 hours ago, svenb said:

Working on a different more "factory" set up

Keep me posted, will be a game changer to be able to get that shell securely on something other than an FF01 👍

• Like 1

On 9/19/2022 at 10:16 PM, svenb said:

Going to be a busy boy then Matt!

Mrs J has just informed me that Strictly starts again this weekend, so it's a good job I've got loads to do 😂

On 9/21/2022 at 7:03 AM, svenb said:

DSC_0442.JPG

On 9/21/2022 at 4:43 PM, Juhunio said:

I'm pretty sure I rough tested something similar on my TA04, as well as the longer reach posts on a TA03, and neither were quite right. As you know, the problem with all the spacers is you lose the second anchor on the arms which means they rotate on the damper stay 🙄

Keep me posted, will be a game changer to be able to get that shell securely on something other than an FF01 👍

A cross brace from a M08 might help stop the rotation?
Centre to Centre for the posts it measures 70mm.

3B8DBAD3-7104-424E-82D6-D424EFB7C2C3.md.

(A Parts tree 51595)

10 hours ago, Re-Bugged said:

A cross brace from a M08 might help stop the rotation?
Centre to Centre for the posts it measures 70mm.

That's a good shout, I've got a carbon fibre touring car crossmember (54783) somewhere that would do the same job

I'll give it a go...it should work, as long as the o-rings secure the bar tightly enough to stop the mounts rotating in parallel and shifting from a rectangle to a parallelogram, if you know what I mean?

• Like 2