I've had a busy couple of weeks with work, house hunting, sorting a new car and a large birthday weekend away with mates. Thankfully I had the foresight to realise I would be feeling pretty ropey today so booked the day off 😀

So I can have a bit of RC time instead...today's work is going to be invisible, but very satisfying...replacing all the eBay bearings I used to build this Evo III with an original Tamiya bearing set

spacer.png

Should keep me quiet for a couple of hours while my head defuggs itself!

• Like 3

Decided to swap the turnbuckles for blue bits while I was at it...

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

And all done! In a thread chock full of utter pointlessness, this has to be right at the top of the pointless tree...but it makes me strangely content to know it now has the correct bearings in there 😀

spacer.png

• Like 6

Seems like a good opportunity to take stock on this thread and work out what to do next...

There are four builds where the shells just need varying degrees of stickering and that's them done:

• TA02S-W 911 GT2 Jagermeister (literally two stickers left)
  • TA04-R Audi R8 LMS (50% done)
  • FF03-R Alfa Romeo 155 Martini (full job)
  • TA04-TRF Audi V8 Touring (full job)

There are three builds where shells need painting, so they're on hold until the weather warms up:

• TB Evo III Audi A4 STW
  • TB02-R Mercedes AMG GT3
  • TT02 Type S Peugeot 306 Maxi

I also need to paint a Calsonic Skyline R32 for my TA03 David Jun, but that belongs in a different thread really...

And then there are four bits-a-build projects left before I finally give up this lunacy and just stick to actual, you know, kits....

• Like 2

TA02W for a Nissan 300ZX shell which will be built with a kind of red, white and blue theme to match the shell:

• full carbon chassis
  • white arms
  • red gearboxes
  • blue C parts (hubs, rear uprights, steering)
  • blue and red dampers
  • vintage front and rear universals
  • aluminium diff plates
  • etc etc 

spacer.png

• Like 5

M05 Pro for a Mini Cooper '94 Monte Carlo Rally shell, which will be built with:

• red metallic chassis
  • black anodised parts
  • universals
  • aluminium rims
  • etc etc 

spacer.png

• Like 6

A TA04-TRF for a Mondeo BTCC shell which will be built with:

• full carbon chassis plates; by using carbon instead of kit-standard SSG plates I can get the front body posts over the damper stay instead of the bumper. Then, by using the @svenb rear damper mount spacer mod, the pre-drilled Mondeo shell will fit
  • all the expected 04-TRF gubbins
  • blue aluminium steering 

spacer.png

However, I am missing one critical part for this build and cannot start it until I find:

• 53610 TA04 Aluminium Suspension Blocks (rear) FOUND 😃

So if anyone has a set spare, please let me know 🙏

EDIT: Just found a set of rear blocks on Mercari, woo hoo! Just need to wait for them to arrive from Japan and the build is ON!

• Like 6

And, finally, a TA04R-Tuned for a Loctite Skyline R34. This shell originally came with a TA04-S, so it seems apt to stick it on a TA04 variant which will be built with:

• carbon upper deck and damper stays instead of SSG, again so the front body posts will be over the damper stay instead of the bumper so the pre-drilled shell will fit
  • upgraded diff joints
  • silver aluminium steering
  • a few other extra bits and bobs

spacer.png

However, I am short two critical parts before I can start this one:

• Rear Gear Case, either the standard 50866 or the 49203 Reinforcing Rear Gear Case will do FOUND!
  • 53464 Low Friction Belt (Rear) FOUND!

So, again, if anyone has either or both of these spare please let me know 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Juhunio said:
  • And then there are four bits-a-build projects left before I finally give up this lunacy and just stick to actual, you know, kits....

Bits-a-builds! Bits-a-builds! Bits-a-builds!

It is not lunacy. Its one of my favourite things on the Internet! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Juhunio said:

TA02W for a Nissan 300ZX shell which will be built with a kind of red, white and blue theme to match the shell:

• full carbon chassis
  • blue and red dampers

A bit 'a la' TA03 RS TRF then😉

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Juhunio said:

M05 Pro for a Mini Cooper '94 Monte Carlo Rally shell, which will be built with:

• red metallic chassis
  • black anodised parts
  • universals
  • aluminium rims
  • etc etc 

spacer.png

Never seen the pinky red chassis before! 

It's very you!!

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, Juhunio said:

I've had a busy couple of weeks with work, house hunting, sorting a new car and a large birthday weekend away with mates. Thankfully I had the foresight to realise I would be feeling pretty ropey today so booked the day off 😀

So I can have a bit of RC time instead...today's work is going to be invisible, but very satisfying...replacing all the eBay bearings I used to build this Evo III with an original Tamiya bearing set

spacer.png

Should keep me quiet for a couple of hours while my head defuggs itself!

Tamiya bearing set, very committed 👍🏻

I think it should have the full complement of Tamiya electrics too 😉

• Like 1

14 hours ago, svenb said:

A bit 'a la' TA03 RS TRF then😉

Very true...though with maybe a bit less of the rainbow than that one 😂

Never seen the pinky red chassis before! 

I'd only ever seen the blue one and then came across this and thought it would be perfect for the Cooper...love a bit of random bling me!

I think it should have the full complement of Tamiya electrics too 😉

It has got a Tamiya motor and could be fitted (at least photographed) with a Tamiya battery

But have Tamiya ever actually made an ESC that can handle their Super Stock, Dyna Run or Racing Stock motors?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, ThunderDragonCy said:

Bits-a-builds! Bits-a-builds! Bits-a-builds!

It is not lunacy. Its one of my favourite things on the Internet! 

Ha! Cheers Cy 👍

23 hours ago, Juhunio said:

However, I am missing one critical part for this build and cannot start it until I find:

• 53610 TA04 Aluminium Suspension Blocks (rear) 

So if anyone has a set spare, please let me know 🙏

Just found a NIP set of rear blocks on Mercari this morning 😃

9 minutes ago, Juhunio said:

It has got a Tamiya motor and could be fitted (at least photographed) with a Tamiya battery

But have Tamiya ever actually made an ESC that can handle their Super Stock, Dyna Run or Racing Stock motors?

Yes the CPR-160 unit

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, svenb said:

Yes the CPR-160 unit

And you'll be needing CPR when you see how much they sell for...

TEU-302BK could probably handle it, Tamiya gave it a conservative 23T+ limit but in reality it can run a max. forward continuous draw of 120A, which is pretty good. Again, getting rare now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, svenb said:

Yes the CPR-160 unit

True, but that's a one-piece ESC / Receiver that also needs the right controller, crystals etc...and are very hard to find and very pricey

I prefer to be able to hook cars up to my Absima transmitter so separate ESCs are ideal...I'll keep my eyes open for a TEU-302BK as recommended by @ChrisRx718 but even they seem pretty spenny now. 

It does seem odd that Tamiya haven't continued to manufacture an ESC capable of running their own motors...maybe the fact that some new kits are coming bundled with OEM 1060 ESCs is a sign that they're just going to let that one slide 

• Like 1

love this build thread, so much detail and explanation! Pictures are awesome too. Thank you!!!

Really looking forward to the mini and 300zx builds.

Oh, and thanks again for the advice and tips with my TB-Evo.III :) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jonboy1 said:

love this build thread, so much detail and explanation! Pictures are awesome too. Thank you!!!

Really looking forward to the mini and 300zx builds.

Oh, and thanks again for the advice and tips with my TB-Evo.III :) 

Cheers Jon 😃

Summer-time means painting time, the warm air making the garage a less terrible place to be and the paint behave more predictably than it does in the winter

So I've been taking the opportunity to work on a few body shells and finish off some stickering to actually complete a couple of these bits-a-build projects

First up, the TB Evo III...

In the end I decided to make use of the R32 Gr.A body shell that I had drilled to fit the Surikarn body post positions and refit the Surikarn damper stays. It just made this Evo III that little bit more 'mine', essentially a blue-Surikarn:

• full Evo III blue conversion kit
  • blue aluminium upper arm mounts
  • Surikarn front and rear carbon damper stays 
  • aluminium rear uprights
  • blue TB02-R damper cylinders
  • blue aluminium front body posts 
  • TA05 blue aluminium battery mount posts 
  • reinforced ball diff joint
  • hex head screws throughout

Once I decided to use the R32 shell and vintage sticker sets to create the classic Calsonic livery, I also had to find some 24mm rims to match as 26mm rims are incompatible with the suspension

There is a set of vintage Cross RC rims which are perfect but I got distracted and missed the end of a Japanese Yahoo auction so missed out on the only set I have seen so far. Another one will come up some day, so for now I've settled on these 47302 rims with pre-glued tyres which aren't too bad a substitute for the proper Nismo wheel design...they'll certainly do for now!

spacer.png

• Like 5