GazzaRose

Dos and Don'ts for a brushless DF03 Build

Well, rightly or wrongly I've decided to go for the DF003 Dark impact. A hobby shop that I've bought alot of model railway and Lego stuff from has got it in stock and I've got £25 of loyalty points to spend, so I'll get it from there.

I'm starting to build a bit of a shopping list.... pretty much everything people have mentioned above. Turnbuckles, slipper, rear cups, steel gear thingy, and any other bits and bobs. The only hopup I'm undecided on is alloy dampers, but thet're an easy post build change so I'll see how it goes with the plastic oil dampers.

That just leaves motor and battery. I think I'm going to dip my toe into the lipo world, I think I'll get a 2s for now to see what difference it makes in my brushed DT03 and for normal DF03 driving, and then I may go for a 3s for the DF as well. I've seen on Tomleys RC a Gens Ace one that looks like it'l do the trick, and well as Gensace hardcase batteries. I'll just have to get over the scaryiness of the lipos!

As for motor, I've been looking and Modelsport have got 3 different options for the Hobbywing EZrun Max10 Combo.

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/hobbywing-ezrun-combo-max10-3652sl-3300kv-brushless-motor-420922

A 3300kv, a 4000kv and a 5000kv. I'm thinking the 5000kv is a bit much, especially on 3s so thats out. If I'm understanding things right, then a 3300kv on 2s would be about 24krpm, so about 50% more than a Torque tuned brushed, and over double that on 3s. So could be a good option for all out speed on 3s in a nice open space, but a slower option on 2s for the back garden. That just leaves the 4000kv, which may be a bit much with both lipos. Assuming Ive got the princples right, and i'm not missing something, then I think I'll go for the 3300kv. That leaves a bit of room for more if I desire, and the 3300kv can always go in the DT or my old drift TT01 that I've got tucked away somewhere.

• Like 3

I like your plan to start by trying the LiPo in a brushed car (if I read you correctly). You may be surprised at the difference (I know I was). IMO - 4000kV with a 2S system is probably just about the perfect balance between power and durability (of the buggy). Play with gearing one way or another to fine tune. 3S will likely be stupid fast.

Watch your motor temps too. Keep your motor under 140 deg F at all times!

OK, so if I'm doing the maths right, if a standard silver can will get it to 18-20mph @14k-15krpm, then a 4000kv on 2s @29krpm should be 35-40mph depending on gearing. So 3s would be 50+ 😜. I'll have a look in to the pinions, I've got a couple with the DT03 if they are the same pitch, if not I'll play it by year (and temperatures! I've got an infrared temp gun on the garage) and get whatever I need.

The only other thing I forgot about was a steering servo. I've always just used whatever I had hanging about or what comes with a bundle. I think I've read that the Df is a better fit for a low profile servo, but is it essential? What sort of power servo do I need. My Dt has a cheapy in it, but that's really light in the front and not that quick so doesn't need anything mega. I'm off to do some browsing for servos, I'll report back with some contenders If I may. 

5 hours ago, GazzaRose said:

The only hopup I'm undecided on is alloy dampers, but thet're an easy post build change so I'll see how it goes with the plastic oil dampers.

The plastic are quite good, only thing is the plastic clips, giving limited adjustment. 3racing shocks worked well, but the stock oil is on the thick side, so needs swapped out for thinner. I'm running Schumacher Big Bore shocks, (usually..) plenty about 2nd hand around £40 a set, and spares aren't an issue in the UK.

I think I'm going to dip my toe into the lipo world,

Night and day over nimh, like going to 4k HD TV over a CRT TV, but they do need a bit more thought.

Great page to learn :- 

https://rogershobbycenter.com/lipoguide/

I've been looking and Modelsport have got 3 different options for the Hobbywing EZrun Max10 Combo.

I've not run this esc, so check the dimensions and make sure it'll fit, the df03 isn't blessed with room in the chassis.

Thank you. Maybe I'll get the car first so I can measure it properly. I'll do the same with the batteries. 

What's the difference between digital and analogue servos? I'll be running a radiolink 2.4g radio in it, will either work? I can't seem to find much in the way of low profile servos. Am I ok with a sub £25 metal geared digital servos with 6-9kg torque? Something like this

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/etronix-es092-digital-std-waterproof-metal-geared-servo-378613

• Like 1

Soooooo.........

The Dt03 kit is ordered, along with front diff joints, a slipper, some silicone nitride balls and a spare main gear incl shaft. I think I'll order the heli gear as well later on or tomorrow. 

The one thing I wasn't sure of, is whether the Dark Impact kit comes with bearings? I was struggling finding a bearing kit, but downloaded the build manual and it mentions installing bearings and doesn't say anything about bushings. Anyone know if it does or doesn't come with them? 

Im undecided whether to get turnnbuckles. The stock ones are ball ended adjustable ones (albeit have to remove to adjust), which I didn't notice until I was flicking through the bullpenild manual. On my Tt01 it was a must to replace the fixed length sloppy steering, but this may be OK (at least for now). 

That just leaves esc/motorcombo, batteries and a servo, but I'll wait until the kit comes to measure up. 

One last question, the Max10 esc has am XT60 plug fitted, but the gensace batteries I was looking at from Modelsport seem to have deans. Obviously something needs to be chanhed, so am I better r going with XT60? 

Thanks again for all the tips. I don't know whether I'll be able to wait until winter to build it now! 

On 9/13/2021 at 10:02 PM, GazzaRose said:

What's the difference between digital and analogue servos?

As far as I gather, digital are a bit smoother, but I doubt you'd notice unless you're on a track, I'm running a Core RC metal geared, with a solid 'answer' servo horn, and it's been fine. I've not had much luck with low profile servos in off road, seemingly the gears are thinner, and aren't as heavy duty, which is maybe why I broke the gears in a metal geared one....

3 hours ago, GazzaRose said:

Im undecided whether to get turnnbuckles. The stock ones are ball ended adjustable ones

RCmart sometimes have those on offer, but with the world the way it is atm, stock levels aren't great anywhere.

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-df03-hard-turnbuckle-shaft-set-53940-00021789 

These driveshafts are good for the cash , but remove the grub screw and put a dab of thread lock on it, they have a habit of coming loose. Doesn't really alter the handling or anything, I just got fed up looking for dog bones, if I had a, moment, and popped a ball stud...

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-g45-universal-steel-swing-shaft-for-tamiya-df03-tt02b-df03-015v2-00026617

3 hours ago, GazzaRose said:

fixed length sloppy steering, but this may be OK (at least for now). 

You can get alloy upgrade steering wiper arms/bridge, but the steering doesn't really have much slop. 

The steering is the only part that doesn't come with bearings ,4 x 850 (8 x 5 x 2.5mm, couple of quid off ebay)

4 hours ago, GazzaRose said:

the Max10 esc has am XT60 plug fitted,

If you're confident with a soldering iron, I'd swap it to Dean's  , the XT60 seems to be more an American thing, there's more battery options with deans. They're both good for 60 amps. Modelsport will swap it for you,for a fee.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Yeah the Dark Impact is one of the select few kits that out of the box comes supplied with bearings

Brilaint thank you.

10 hours ago, Wooders28 said:

As far as I gather, digital are a bit smoother, but I doubt you'd notice unless you're on a track, I'm running a Core RC metal geared, with a solid 'answer' servo horn, and it's been fine. I've not had much luck with low profile servos in off road, seemingly the gears are thinner, and aren't as heavy duty, which is maybe why I broke the gears in a metal geared one....

RCmart sometimes have those on offer, but with the world the way it is atm, stock levels aren't great anywhere.

https://www.rcmart.com/tamiya-df03-hard-turnbuckle-shaft-set-53940-00021789 

These driveshafts are good for the cash , but remove the grub screw and put a dab of thread lock on it, they have a habit of coming loose. Doesn't really alter the handling or anything, I just got fed up looking for dog bones, if I had a, moment, and popped a ball stud...

https://www.rcmart.com/yeah-racing-g45-universal-steel-swing-shaft-for-tamiya-df03-tt02b-df03-015v2-00026617

You can get alloy upgrade steering wiper arms/bridge, but the steering doesn't really have much slop. 

The steering is the only part that doesn't come with bearings ,4 x 850 (8 x 5 x 2.5mm, couple of quid off ebay)

If you're confident with a soldering iron, I'd swap it to Dean's  , the XT60 seems to be more an American thing, there's more battery options with deans. They're both good for 60 amps. Modelsport will swap it for you,for a fee.

Thank you. 

I'm good pretty good will an iron so I'll get some spare deans. And stick them on the esc. 

The universal shafts look nice. Are they the same front and back? I'll see if I can get them in the UK, I've never ordered from the US before. 

And I'll look for some steering bearings.

👍

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GazzaRose said:

I'm good pretty good will an iron so I'll get some spare deans. And stick them on the esc. 

I quite like these, hides any soldering misshaps, but mind to slide the cover on BEFORE you solder on the leads....🤦‍♂️

They normally have them in UK stock, but looking like there's a shortage of everything atm!

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/t-style-connector-male-female-with-insulating-caps-10-pairs.html?___store=en_us

9 hours ago, GazzaRose said:

Are they the same front and back?

I'm using them front and back, seem to fit and work....(although, I've swapped to the ,Spring steel, ones for the rear.

• Like 1

What does does the spring steel bring to the party? Does it take away a bit of shock from the transmission? 

On 9/16/2021 at 8:49 PM, GazzaRose said:

What does does the spring steel bring to the party? Does it take away a bit of shock from the transmission? 

Just harder wearing.

Little update... 

I've now got a pile of stuff in my garage. Most of it is my Dark Impact kit and bits for that, the rest.... Well there's a bit of a story to it. 

Last Saturday evening I took my 5 Yr old son and my wife to the local beach along with my Dt03 and my sons cobbled together Tl01 running rally wheels and a 80t motor. There's a grassy bit above the beach with sheep mown short grass with humps and bumps that I used to take my rca when I was a kid. We had a KFC looking out over the sea, then had a play with the RCs. My boy was getting pretty good so I gave him a go of the DT with the EPA set at 50% and he was happy enough, but the TL was a bit slow for me so gave it to my wife to have a go while I chased the DT around endlessly righting it. To my surprise, she actually enjoyed it. Not one to miss an opportunity I suggested maybe we should get something that she could use so we could all have fun together as a family. Anything to get us out of the house and off the phones! Long story short there's now a Lunch box kit sit in the garage, that I've got an extra body coming for that I'll paint pink with custom pink stickers that read "Carlys Lunchbox" instead of the usual Venessas. The origianl body with get done in box colours and kept as a shelf body. So I've gained another RC without having to hide it and without the guilt! 

In other news, I couldn't resist tryinout my new Lipos in my Dt. The 2s gained 2mph on the TBLE-02 with torque tuned, but obviously I couldn't try the 3s, it would fry the Tamiya ESC. So strictly for 'testing' purposes, I put the Max10 4000kv brushless combo in it. It was good fun on 2s.... On 3s in the little lane at the back of the house, it was hilarious! Pulling wheelies at 20+mph and up to 30 before running out of room. I took it back out before I broke the DT, I'm taking it out tomorrow my my boy weather permitting, so I tried it in my old Tt01. That was even funnier. A simple couple of donuts would turn into a pirouetteing flail at the flick of a finger. Can't wait to try that one out on a nice open carpark. I think the future for me is definitely Lipo and brushless though, it brilliant! 

Once I get round to it, Ill do some updates of the DF, but it may have to wait until after I build the new Lunchbox! 😂

• Like 2