alvinlwh

Thank you TC

20 minutes ago, ad456 said:

Yeah, I’ve had that a few times too, it’s typical of battery stuff sent this far north. It’s amazing how much small stuff they miss though.

I’ve got 4 batteries in the shed here that came via the method I mentioned. That will be the list that general customers get. HobbyKing have a dangerous goods contract I believe. I thought mine would be destroyed until I tried it. Low and behold the came and now I have my clod on 3s.

If you ever have hassle with tamiya spray paint to the island try wonderland models as they’ll send it with dpd.

Are you Scottish island based? I don't see a location in your profile. 

I am kind of OK for batteries at the moment, I am flying to London next month and plan to hit the model shops there in person so I am holding out until then. 

I used to like TS paints for my static car models, but had since learnt to use the airbrush. For PS paints, TTM send with Hermas and they are OK for paint (but not lipo as per their terms). 

Some islanders here use KW1CK, as a form of mail forwarding service, but they too will not forward lipo or sprays. 

Small stuff seems to get through sometimes, I got 18650s for my vape gear sometimes, strange. 

The really annoy thing is, the world's biggest shop, will not ship to me/us! 😡

Screenshot_2021-09-07-22-25-08-803_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.55daa4ac9366f31c59a16d5d900058f2.jpg

8 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

:lol: Precious pretty girl you got there!  Looks like she's interested!  

Yeah, my kids are both boys, but seem too focused on various social media, YouTube, and simulation games... too much virtual and not enough mechanical interest.  I mean I showed them everything I'd liked them to be interested in including model building and RC,  installing a sound system on real cars, typical suspension and engine mods, etc. even taught them how to play piano when they were about your daughter's age..   Nope.. no attachment, no interest.  LOL.. 

Not sure if I should laugh or not, somehow, the phrase "with best intentions" springs to mind. I had been through all that, PS 1 - 4, PC games, social, etc... But I always go back to models (all kinds) no matter what. It is something that can really draws me in till 4am in the morning. I even smoke/vape less when I am deep in model making. I think the smell of cement and paint is enough to keep me going! 🥴

Interestingly, on the subject of paint and solvent, this friend of mine, one of his "reason" to tell me to quit model making is that my wife will not complaint about the smell in the house. Amazingly, the 10+ years she has been with me, she had NEVER complaint about it. She is not even bothered with a full power compressor going in the house when I used to airbrush inside. (stopped doing that as the "dust" created can never be cleaned as it is actually paint drifting through the house) 

• Haha 1

Yeah, I am on the island too. I just started emailing places to see what could get where. The one thing I haven’t found is someone to get motor spray here. 

18650 are li-ion and it’s Lipo that RM don’t want so the 18650 get through. I used to get my vape batteries from Glasgow from a guy called Torchy through RM and they always got here. 

The KW1CK lads are good, we used them for IKEA. 

8 minutes ago, ad456 said:

Yeah, I am on the island too. I just started emailing places to see what could get where. The one thing I haven’t found is someone to get motor spray here. 

18650 are li-ion and it’s Lipo that RM don’t want so the 18650 get through. I used to get my vape batteries from Glasgow from a guy called Torchy through RM and they always got here. 

The KW1CK lads are good, we used them for IKEA. 

Oh there I am thinking I am the most northerly UK member in this forum. 😔

Where are you based and where do you usually run your cars? I usually run it at KGS or at the Palace grounds on Sundays/quiet days (as I am sure you can tell from the Swift picture). 

Is there a RC club in Orkney? I know there is a model club based in Dounby. 

Interesting that you mentioned Glasgow, my first lipo batteries came via Glasgow. I got Amazon to deliver to a contractor that work for me (well OIC) and they toss them into their van and drive up via Scrabster. Being electricians, I am sure they know how to handle some "tiny" lipos. 😁 I also got a contractor in Moray that is willing to do the same, a fire extinguisher contractor, so they have all the equipment onboard to deal with any fires! 😂

16 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

Not sure if I should laugh or not, somehow, the phrase "with best intentions" springs to mind. I had been through all that, PS 1 - 4, PC games, social, etc... But I always go back to models (all kinds) no matter what. It is something that can really draws me in till 4am in the morning. I even smoke/vape less when I am deep in model making. I think the smell of cement and paint is enough to keep me going! 🥴

Interestingly, on the subject of paint and solvent, this friend of mine, one of his "reason" to tell me to quit model making is that my wife will not complaint about the smell in the house. Amazingly, the 10+ years she has been with me, she had NEVER complaint about it. She is not even bothered with a full power compressor going in the house when I used to airbrush inside. (stopped doing that as the "dust" created can never be cleaned as it is actually paint drifting through the house) 

:lol: It's okay to laugh, my whole life is like a frikken joke.  :lol:  Yes 'best intentions' for me in an ideal situation..   But I respect that my kids are different individuals with their own likes so I never forced any hobby on them.   

That's good that your wife does not mind the smell of paint.  My wife is a pretty crafty gal herself, and she too does not mind the smell.  Sprays I use a high power vent so usually no smell in the house, but brush painting enamel can have some level of lingering scent.  It's my kids that notice it when they come down to my RC room from time to time.  

I was able to tell that my kids were not into plastic models, RC, and real cars when I saw their faces after telling them to take a quick sniff of new tires.  I love the smell of Tamiya plastic model tires.  RC tires and real car tires.. I don't mind the smell at all.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Sprays I use a high power vent so usually no smell in the house, but brush painting enamel can have some level of lingering scent.  It's my kids that notice it when they come down to my RC room from time to time.  

I have a vented spray booth, but never bothered to set it up before I have kids and now with kids, my model making area is the floor after they gone to sleep. I spray outside in the shed though. Your model space (picture you posted) is already half the total size of my house! 

Now, I am planning an extension, with a proper ducted vent for the utility room that will vent my sprays outside the house properly as well. But that will take time and of course money. So... Again back to that friend (as per the topic of this post), you know among friends, you talk about problems of a common interest you have (I will not talk about nuclear physics with you for example!). Well, when I talked about the lack of space for proper model making, he (as usual) told me to quit instead of finding "excuses". 🙄 I really cannot figure out how talking about lack of space is an "excuse". 

36 minutes ago, alvinlwh said:

I have a vented spray booth, but never bothered to set it up before I have kids and now with kids, my model making area is the floor after they gone to sleep. I spray outside in the shed though. Your model space (picture you posted) is already half the total size of my house! 

Now, I am planning an extension, with a proper ducted vent for the utility room that will vent my sprays outside the house properly as well. But that will take time and of course money. So... Again back to that friend (as per the topic of this post), you know among friends, you talk about problems of a common interest you have (I will not talk about nuclear physics with you for example!). Well, when I talked about the lack of space for proper model making, he (as usual) told me to quit instead of finding "excuses". 🙄 I really cannot figure out how talking about lack of space is an "excuse". 

I agree that having dedicated space is a major factor in how efficiently (and realistically) one can work on their hobby, so that is a valid conversation topic and not an excuse.  

I always tell my car buddies that a car hobby starts with a proper garage.  Without a garage no room for tools, no room for work space, no place to store your precious car you just spent a good amount of money on away from thieves and vandals..

1 minute ago, Willy iine said:

I always tell my car buddies that a car hobby starts with a proper garage.  Without a garage no room for tools, no room for work space, no place to store your precious car you just spent a good amount of money on away from thieves..

That's the US, here in the UK, many garages are not even designed for modern family cars, never mind working on one, if one is lucky or well off enough to have one in the first place!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2327440/Couples-fury-garage-new-200-000-home-narrow-cars-open-doors-parked-inside.html

I don't have one, and if I do, it will be for a motorbike (which I also do not have at this moment) and my models, perhaps a 1/76.2 scale train layout. 😁 Ahhhh....one can dream. 

Luckily for me, I live in a place where car theft is almost unheard of, almost! There are even people who just leave their keys in when they go to work/the shops. 

3 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Gundam SD

That's how it starts. From comical Gundam/High Grades to Perfect Grade RX-78-3. With Tamiya, it's the exact opposite, you go from Avante's to Comical Grasshoppers LOL :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, alvinlwh said:

That's the US, here in the UK, many garages are not even designed for modern family cars, never mind working on one, if one is lucky or well off enough to have one in the first place!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2327440/Couples-fury-garage-new-200-000-home-narrow-cars-open-doors-parked-inside.html

I don't have one, and if I do, it will be for a motorbike (which I also do not have at this moment) and my models, perhaps a 1/76.2 scale train layout. 😁 Ahhhh....one can dream. 

Luckily for me, I live in a place where car theft is almost unheard of, almost! There are even people who just leave their keys in when they go to work/the shops. 

Yes, you're right, I can only speak for folks in the USA (outside the city even) since that is where I am, in the suburbs.  

My immediate area is safe too, I see a lot of neighbors cutting their grass with their garage doors open unattended, but one can never be too careless as it's only safe until it is not in the USA.   I don't do yard work (I already did my entire life's yard work as a kid for my dad :lol:) and just hire a contractor to do all landscaping during the week so that on weekends I can concentrate on all the fun stuff.. cars, then RC, then more RC!  

21 minutes ago, NWarty said:

That's how it starts. From comical Gundam/High Grades to Perfect Grade RX-78-3. With Tamiya, it's the exact opposite, you go from Avante's to Comical Grasshoppers LOL :P

Comcal GH's are cool.  Come to think of it, I still haven't looked into the Comical HotShot.  I'm just hoping Tamiya would do a Comical SandScorcher.. that would be the bomb.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NWarty said:

Absolutely right! Surprising that I never noticed it! Although I had not gone as far as PG yet, furthest I had gone is a single RG.

And with my most recent completion of a SW-01, you are correct again for Tamiya!

9 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

Comcal GH's are cool.  Come to think of it, I still haven't looked into the Comical HotShot.  I'm just hoping Tamiya would do a Comical SandScorcher.. that would be the bomb.

Now...it is terrible of you to drop the Hotshot name. Now I am tempted to build a family of them, full sized, comical and mini 4WD... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Willy iine said:

their faces after telling them to take a quick sniff of new tires.  I love the smell of Tamiya plastic model tires.  RC tires and real car tires.. I don't mind the smell at all.

This. Me too, my friend. I absolutely love the smell of tires: real car ones, RC ones and, above all, the Tamiya RC ones. Before recently installing a new set of rears on the Hornet, I kept the open package around for a couple weeks and did snort off it full lungs -not just a quick sniff- from time to time while watching movies after dinner. I also "forced" my wife to smell the tires and convinced her that what she'd call "pungent" is in fact the most perfect and balanced of smells for a Tamiya hobbyist 😉 Chanel N°5 smells like the gutter in comparison, Lol

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Believe it or not, he was a Tamiya builder. His problem, from what I can see, is he refuses to see that everyone can have different problems and difficulties. The best example I have is the lipo issue. I live on a remote Scottish island with very limited delivery options. The companies that usually deliver here classified lipos as basically bombs and refuse to carry them. When I told him that I cannot take his suggestion of going BL and dropping a 2/3/4/5/6s in, as it is difficult, if not impossible for me to get lipos, he first said I am making up excuses (?) and then told me to forget about RCing and go gardening (which I believe some of us here on the forum actually also do!). 

Anyway, as in my OP, thanks to some members here, I was reminded of the fact that even with all the RC supply difficulties I have here, there are also pros. Not many people can run their cars on the grounds of a 400+ years old palace just 5 minutes walk/RC drive from their home. :)

IMG_20210803_131857.thumb.jpeg.607f62b8f77d8572b9050a2b3a08de7e.thumb.jpeg.548fca710a5405c2911564b59d9e6037.jpeg

IMG_20210906_185924.jpeg

While I see nothing wrong in principle with Lipo and BL it's one of the many routes you can choose.they are all valid but not always the most convenient for others. I don't plan on going Lipo either, NIMH and brushed suit me just fine. Some people end up with thier own opinions and stick with them. Can't do much about that in the end but agree to disagree.

I got a decent gunplay collection, 27 kits if I remember correctly. Started with plastic planes and cars then moved to Gundam kits. Mostly 144, a few 100 , 2 SD and 1 MG. Forget PG or RG.too many pieces and or too small pieces. The MG I did get was to round off a model scale size collection around 1 design and I still don't have the MG Mirage Colloid version though buying that isn't high on my list. Got a 4 kit backlog 144 and MG ATM.

@nel33 I have BL and LiPo in my arsenal, but I too prefer brushed and NiMH as well.  If going for performance there is no argument LiPo and BL are the way to go, but for daily casual driving by myself just to watch my models move about my track, there is absolutely no need.  Standard brushed 540 (silver can, SportsTuned, TorqueTuned) does the trick for me.  Simple and no fuss is great.

• Like 2

IMO this "friend" is more of a jealous hater then an actual friend but all considered thats his problem then yours eh?  All in all we all come from different places in the world, & we all come from different aspects and walks in life but ALL of us have a common love..... RC.... Some folks are jealous or see this hobby as either a money pit or just being a child who never grewup, Well to those types of folks who act as such and think that about us....Well those are your opinions and your welcome to them but  I am happy.... Sooooo Go kick rocks pal and IM gonna go back to hittin the throttle and enjoying my day...... I have been into the hobby for a good long while and love everything about RC's and most of all if I help one just one person with a problem and I helped solve it or light a fire to inspire them to build and go have fun with their RC, I would call that a win

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferruz said:

This. Me too, my friend. I absolutely love the smell of tires: real car ones, RC ones and, above all, the Tamiya RC ones. Before recently installing a new set of rears on the Hornet, I kept the open package around for a couple weeks and did snort off it full lungs -not just a quick sniff- from time to time while watching movies after dinner. I also "forced" my wife to smell the tires and convinced her that what she'd call "pungent" is in fact the most perfect and balanced of smells for a Tamiya hobbyist 😉 Chanel N°5 smells like the gutter in comparison, Lol

:lol:  That's funny.  LOL!    Yeah, there is something about the smell of tires.  I too do the full lung addict tire snort... it smells so good and calming.

• Like 1

I usually run on the beaches, Dingieshowe, Inganess and Scapa if it’s quiet. I sometimes go up the KGS but not been in months. I barely go anywhere these days to run. Jus run them in the street and carpark next to the house. I think up Cuween Cairn would be decent for trails.

The model club is more static and the big rigs I think.
I met a guy in the Coop car park the said there’s a group on Facebook I think but I’m a kinda doing my own thing in the shed most of the time and not on social media.

4 hours ago, nel33 said:

While I see nothing wrong in principle with Lipo and BL it's one of the many routes you can choose.they are all valid but not always the most convenient for others. I don't plan on going Lipo either, NIMH and brushed suit me just fine. Some people end up with thier own opinions and stick with them. Can't do much about that in the end but agree to disagree.

I had explained in this post and others why lipo and BL is not the solution I was looking for. Most will agree that my reasons are valid reasons but this guy accused me of making up excuses and should just quit the hobby and take up gardening or kill myself something like that. I don't expect him, you or anyone else to agree with me all the time, but to bluntly accuse me of making things up? From a friend?

I think I posted this before, his solutions to any of the problems I discussed with him is to "get a kyosho, dump a massive BL in and connect a 6s up", whatever reason I do not do was he told, I should just go kill myself. That from a friend of 2 decades, is kind of upsetting. That's the reason why I made this post, to thank the random strangers on TC that are willing to listen to and help me resolve various RC questions and problems. 

4 hours ago, Original Jardasius said:

IMO this "friend" is more of a jealous hater then an actual friend but all considered thats his problem then yours eh?  All in all we all come from different places in the world, & we all come from different aspects and walks in life but ALL of us have a common love..... RC.... Some folks are jealous or see this hobby as either a money pit or just being a child who never grewup, Well to those types of folks who act as such and think that about us....Well those are your opinions and your welcome to them but  I am happy.... Sooooo Go kick rocks pal and IM gonna go back to hittin the throttle and enjoying my day...... I have been into the hobby for a good long while and love everything about RC's and most of all if I help one just one person with a problem and I helped solve it or light a fire to inspire them to build and go have fun with their RC, I would call that a win

This "jealous" thing had been mentioned a few times but I am actually not sure what is he jealous about. He a RCer that had spent far more on RC than me. He had far more experience than me, which is why I went to him for advise initially. He had been through various Tamiyas, Kyoshos, Traxx, etc...and also planes, drones and tanks (latest trigger point as I asked him a question about that, watch this space as I will ask here once I gathered up the info required to form the question). He sees Tamiyas as a money pit, but even general RC questions like TX, EP, ABS will also get me a flood of abuse. 🙄 (the Ky + BL + 6s is just an example of the typical answer get from him before being told to quit RC and life basically) 

I will thought that asking someone (directly) a question is a sign of respect of the knowledge that person has. And, as you said, common interest in RC between all of us, I though he will be happy to talk about it like any normal hobbyist. 

Clearly his idea of being helpful is different from yours. Here is one example, I dug my old LB out from the loft, asked him how to slow down the car for the kids as it was on very old AM gear with no settings except servo reverse. I eventually solved the problem by upgrading to 2.4 with DR settings. However on the basis of that one question while I was on old gear, he assumed (or was he being sarcastic?) that all I wanted is slow cars when I asked about turns and brushes, he will be like "those are nothing to worry about for you, you will be too slow to wear those out" or "why you want to know about these, you want a slow car after all". Well, I wantED to slow down my car, not want a slow car. 

Which is why, as I said before, I join this forum. Random strangers here are far more helpful than this 2 decades old friend. Mind you, he had been helpful throughout the years, I am just not sure where the hate for Tamiya came from. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Willy iine said:

:lol:  That's funny.  LOL!    Yeah, there is something about the smell of tires.  I too do the full lung addict tire snort... it smells so good and calming.

Try spilling half a bottle of cement or thinner on the table/floor/whatever in a living space (not your tricked up hobby room) and see if your wife will be as calm! 😂

2 hours ago, ad456 said:

I usually run on the beaches, Dingieshowe, Inganess and Scapa if it’s quiet. I sometimes go up the KGS but not been in months. I barely go anywhere these days to run. Jus run them in the street and carpark next to the house. I think up Cuween Cairn would be decent for trails.

The model club is more static and the big rigs I think.
I met a guy in the Coop car park the said there’s a group on Facebook I think but I’m a kinda doing my own thing in the shed most of the time and not on social media.

I only moved to Orkney in 2015 so I am still not sure about the local scene on model making in general. I had been the the club's show at KGS once, i find it too farm heavy. Still I will like to join, maybe after covid.

I had driven my LB down the street, from Watergate to Tankerness Gardens, I never turned that many heads in my life. I had also driven at the hospital but there are just too many kids around and they just like to run after the cars and end up stepping on them. Also, thanks for the tip about Cuween Cairn, I do not have trail car at the moment, closet  will be the LB, but will keep that place in mind. And you had reminded me to take my car(s) out to the stones for some photos, after all, not many people can say they had driven their RC around a World Heritage Site!

I will be test driving my M-05 with the new gear at KGS, the end facing Papdale PS this Friday at 1730. If you are in that area, do pop by and say hi? Look out for a dirty black Ford Mondeo.

That would be good but bad timing for me,  would definitely like to see one of those though. I’ve got a busy couple of weeks on the go just now but will give ya a PM sometime and sort something out to meet. 
The old hospital car park is often pretty empty, a bit rough but big enough. The skatepark is a mostly nice flat tarmac and when the kids are in school it tends to be empty. I killed my ECX torments front shock in there last week jumping the rails on the banks. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ad456 said:

That would be good but bad timing for me,  would definitely like to see one of those though. I’ve got a busy couple of weeks on the go just now but will give ya a PM sometime and sort something out to meet. 
The old hospital car park is often pretty empty, a bit rough but big enough. The skatepark is a mostly nice flat tarmac and when the kids are in school it tends to be empty. I killed my ECX torments front shock in there last week jumping the rails on the banks. 

That is a good idea, I can drop the wife and kids off at the hospital playpark and nip over. I will just bring my non-road cars then.

Oh, BTW, I just ordered £50 with of lipos from Amazon, to be brought up by the Glasgow contractor on the 18th. Will love to properly stretch the legs of my cars on 7.4v. Tried that briefly on the Lunchbox and it rolled on every turns. :lol:

13 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Try spilling half a bottle of cement or thinner on the table/floor/whatever in a living space (not your tricked up hobby room) and see if your wife will be as calm! 😂

Before my wife, I'd react..:blink:  my entire house is wooden flooring except for my RC room, storage space, and bathrooms.