Sign in to follow this  
slydar

Largest pinion you can fit in a Dyna Storm?

I'm currently working on what I'd refer to as a  "TRF211X Tribute".

I'm using a Dyna Storm transmission, and Handily it came with a 27t pinion. I'm considering an 8.5 or 10.5 brushless motor, as I'm planning to run the car in 2wd mod at our club races. 

Does anyone know how much bigger a pinion I can squeeze in? I am open to using a polycarbonate cover, but any info on larger sized pinions people have managed to fit would be great, thanks!

• Like 2

If you are running a standard spur gear, wouldn't a 27t pinion put you in the ballpark for gearing with those motors?

9.33:1 FDR for a boosted 8.5T in a 30 year old design?

I have no idea, but would love to see that running 2wd mod at my club.  A guy runs a Losi XXX in 2wd mod where I race and he does pretty well with it, although since we run low grip dirt the rear motor isn't that much of a disadvantage

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 1:53 PM, slydar said:

I'm currently working on what I'd refer to as a  "TRF211X Tribute".

I'm using a Dyna Storm transmission, and Handily it came with a 27t pinion. I'm considering an 8.5 or 10.5 brushless motor, as I'm planning to run the car in 2wd mod at our club races. 

Does anyone know how much bigger a pinion I can squeeze in? I am open to using a polycarbonate cover, but any info on larger sized pinions people have managed to fit would be great, thanks!

As I reckon fella @ruebiracer squeezed a 30t pinion in by using the treats of the motor which are not the 180° opposite. But for my opinion thats far to long geared. 24/25T is sweet with original spur gear.

Show some pics of your built please, I am on fire for Dyna Storm.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/9/2021 at 4:37 AM, Collin said:

As I reckon fella @ruebiracer squeezed a 30t pinion in by using the treats of the motor which are not the 180° opposite. But for my opinion thats far to long geared. 24/25T is sweet with original spur gear.

Show some pics of your built please, I am on fire for Dyna Storm.  

My car isn't a Dyna Storm, but will post some pics as soon as the build starts properly. 

My car is mostly re-re astute, with the tranny from a busted old Dyna Blaster, and I'm building a TRF211X Style upper deck for it. 

I'm going to run the car in mod, with a 10.5 brushless motor. So need to be down around 9:1 FDR and Lower.

Searched some posts or yours and saw what you mentioned, so I've ordered 30+31 😊

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 2:49 PM, ruebiracer said:

@Collin thanks for the note Tom, I have geared both my Dyna storms longer because of my motor choices,

I´ll dig out what I have and how I managed it.;)

Thanks! Interested to see. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slydar said:

My car is mostly re-re astute, with the tranny from a busted old Dyna Blaster, and I'm building a TRF211X Style upper deck for it.

Sounds even better! 

• Like 1

Sorry guys, but very busy with work and house building!

I dig out the pics today. But as far as I remember, I fitted 35T pinion with no mod on the gear plate, using a second motor hole, and just a slight grinding inside the gear cover. Nothing visible from the outside. ratio is 7,2:1 then with the original 126T spur gear!

I´ll come back with the pics!

• Thanks 1

spacer.png

That was the "secret" Tom already mentioned, on my rather slow GT Tuned Motor Topspeed is rather slow with the stock Dyna ratios, so I used the double mounting holes of the motor casing to bring the motor shaft further to the rear. So mounting a 35t pinion is possible.

As I had some spare gear covers left from my spare parts, I used an older one to enlarge the space for the 35T pinion. I just mounted the motor/battery, and while running full rpm I slowly pushed the gear cover in place:

spacer.png

I used a white Edding pen for better contrasting: You can see the material taken away by the "grinding" pinion. I think I used a slightly bigger one or slotted the motor even further back, to get the free spinning 35T/126T ratio. No holes were grinded in the gear cover, everything is still nicely sealed against debris.

It´s for sure also feasible with a motor with only 2 mounting holes, but that would require enlarging the lower hole slightly. So highly depends on everyone´s attitude about originality of your Dynas, and how far you want to go with mods.;)

Hope this maybe helps for building your vintage runner @slydar

Kind regards,

Matthias

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Yeah thanks, it does help. While I'm in the ball park for recommended FDR with 10.5 motors using a 31t, going off what I've found with the car I have set up for racing stock, I will probably want to go lower 👍

• Like 1