toyolien

Sticks or Wheel. Which do you use??

I've just recently bought an RC10 b6.3 to start racing at my local club (I would have preferred a Tamiya but, well, you know... they don't do one). Anyway, when I used to race 2wd in the mid 90's everyone used sticks. Then i had a 10 year break from RC, and started back with rock crawlers in 2008. Everyone was using a wheel radio. I've been using one ever since. However, my first practice session at the track last week was the first time since 2008 that I'd kind of thought I might be better off with sticks again.

So, what's your preference any why?

I use wheels as does pretty much everyone I know. I don't think I've seen sticks on a drivers stand since I started racing a few years ago.

I find wheels more intuitive and natural, and that's both throttle and steering. It's easier to quickly brake and back on the throttle with the trigger than a stick.

Wheels are also a lot easier to get hold of with greater selection, although Sanwa and Futaba both make high end sticks so that's not a major reason

For the casual driving that i do, the wheel is my preference.

The first electric RC's I had used stick, as they were the cheapest radio sets at that time ('80s). But when it evolved into nitro cars, the wheel radios were affordable and from an ergonomics point of view, I stuck with wheel ever since except for an RC tank (2 vertical sticks works better for those).
Wheel can be driven using a single hand, thump on the wheel. That makes it even more practical. :lol:

I only got into RC a few years ago so went with what I remembered being the standard when I was a kid - sticks.

Got one of those Core / Etronix multi model TXs that a lot of people recommended. Hated it. I couldn't control the car for toffee.

Got a trigger / wheel combo - much happier! I'm still not very good but it feels far more natural and smaller adjustments are easier for me than when using the sticks.

I too only drove with stick transmitters as a child in the 80’s, but only ran wheel since 1995.  To me, trigger and wheel is easier to modulate. 

Currently my RTR Kyosho Blizzard is the only vehicle that runs stick, and my Bruiser will also run stick for its transmission.   Those are the only two that will get sticks.  

Nothing wrong with sticks though, just a matter of preference.   

Stick for me. I like going against the grain :) and this is what my Nikko buggy had in 1992!

I think sticks can give great finesse for steering but the amount of forward and aft movement required on the throttle/brake stick can be an annoyance. But the main issue is finding a transmitter since the industry is so heavily biased towards wheels! A factor is that RTR vehicles always come with wheel transmitters if only for the wow factor (the transmitter looks like a pistol... Kids say "wow!"). People often start with these then stay with them. 

I currently use an airplane/helicopter transmitter which is a bargain with 7ms latency, exponential etc and was so cheap 6 years ago. The only thing is the sticks move along both direction. I got used to it before I got around to modifying the gimbals and I am still flying helicopters and airplane with the same transmitter. It's a Hitec Flash 7.

If I ever get more serious about surface RC (basically racing on road) I might get a dedicated stick transmitter but they're not cheap.

I prefer stick - bit there are very few on the market at the moment compared to wheel.

I'm saving for a new Ko Propo Esprit as I have a Spektrum DX5C at the moment and don't get on with it as well as my old Esprit 

When I first RCed way back when I was <10, in the 80s, I had a Nikko with a stick. So stick it is for me. 

Recently upgraded to 2.4 and this is the unit I got. I am, however, going to get a second controller in the near future and that will be the gun type, just to try it out - AND - not to cause confusion when running 2 cars. 

362932657_images(4).jpeg.182824a593e2132cf614aa88792616ce.jpeg

14 minutes ago, Pylon80 said:

I currently use an airplane/helicopter transmitter which is a bargain with 7ms latency, exponential etc and was so cheap 6 years ago. The only thing is the sticks move along both direction. I got used to it before I got around to modifying the gimbals and I am still flying helicopters and airplane with the same transmitter. It's a Hitec Flash 7.

I believe some controllers allow the locking of the axis to only one? I could be wrong... 

Before quitting the hobby years ago I was using a stick radio (Spektrum DX6i) for years with my crawlers.

Stopped with those for a few years and then got back into it after starting out with FPV drones as a new hobby, bought a cheap wheel radio from banggood but kept having issues so I went back to sticks again.
But this time with the FrSky X9D+ I was also using for my FPV drones.
Works fantastic but with all of the new regulations in place I sold all of my FPV stuff including the radio.

Bought a cheap stick radio, but could not get my crawler working with the receivers.
Tried another somewhat better quality wheel radio and got used to it quite fast, but that radio stopped working after only a few months of use (RadioLink RC6G)

Then decided to buy a proper quality radio (Spektrum DX5 Rugged) and moved everything over to that one, and still happily using it.

5 hours ago, Yonzariq said:

Tried another somewhat better quality wheel radio and got used to it quite fast, but that radio stopped working after only a few months of use (RadioLink RC6G)

That bad? Shame, it is on my to buy list... I really like their micro 4ch rx... 

Sticks for me. Futaba 75mHz has been replaced with FlySky 2.4Ghz, but I still use the same 2-stick layout I started with as a kid. I even considered switching to a "video game" config with steering on the left and throttle on the right, but I decided it wasn't worth the trouble, and I wanted RC to still "feel" different than video game driving.

48 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

Sticks for me. Futaba 75mHz has been replaced with FlySky 2.4Ghz, but I still use the same 2-stick layout I started with as a kid. I even considered switching to a "video game" config with steering on the left and throttle on the right, but I decided it wasn't worth the trouble, and I wanted RC to still "feel" different than video game driving.

Pretty sure you can switch your game around to the correct way though. 

54 minutes ago, El Gecko said:

At one point I tried to switch to steering on the left and throttle/brake on the right, thinking that it would make be a better airplane pilot since I steer with the left stick during takeoff and landing. That made me a terrible driver for hours and hours until I switched back to the steering right throttle/brake of my kids days. In 30min I was already a better driver.

For some reason my brain switches between airplane/helicopters/cars (and even 1:1 helicopters... I do have expensive hobbies lol) which all have different stick layouts using different hands.

Luckily for me I’m ambimitterous & can cope with either but imo it just depends how locked in you are - mincing around in the mud with your Willy you have time for a preference but a grands worth of circuit car hurtling toward impending doom at 80mph you likely don’t care whether you’re steering it with a stick a wheel or next door’s cat it just has to go round that corner. I reckon triggers give better throttle control but sticks steer faster. 

Either-or, doesn't matter to me. I have and regularly use both. If I'm taking photos I like a pistol/wheel radio (especially my trusty old Tactic) because I can drive one-handed fairly easily and take photos with my right hand.

Sticks!! 

My kids started with sticks, but my eldest wanted to try a wheel, and she took to it like a duck to water!

I've tried the wheel ,and, well, just nope... The steering I'm not too bad, but throttle/brakes I am absolutely useless, especially over jumps ,when you quickly need to punch the throttle if the nose is a bit low, or hit the brakes if its a bit high.

Sticks are quite a British thing I believe, they where used for RC planes before Mardave came along with the first RC car in the late 60's, so just used what was available. 

Wheel controllers where used for 'Toy' grade RC bitd (Tamiya quick drive ,was the first one I ever saw), so rare in clubs.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Wooders28 said:

Sticks!! 

My kids started with sticks, but my eldest wanted to try a wheel, and she took to it like a duck to water!

I've tried the wheel ,and, well, just nope... The steering I'm not too bad, but throttle/brakes I am absolutely useless, especially over jumps ,when you quickly need to punch the throttle if the nose is a bit low, or hit the brakes if its a bit high.

Sticks are quite a British thing I believe, they where used for RC planes before Mardave came along with the first RC car in the late 60's, so just used what was available. 

Wheel controllers where used for 'Toy' grade RC bitd (Tamiya quick drive ,was the first one I ever saw), so rare in clubs.

Whats common at your club where you race?

I've heard sticks were a UK thing, down here in the 90s it was either or, both were readily available in the shops but sticks were usually the ones included with the packages, and the wheel was an upgrade. On the drivers stand there was a mix of both. Now sticks are just for air really although the shops still stock the T2HR

10 hours ago, toyolien said:

I've just recently bought an RC10 b6.3 to start racing at my local club (I would have preferred a Tamiya but, well, you know... they don't do one). Anyway, when I used to race 2wd in the mid 90's everyone used sticks. Then i had a 10 year break from RC, and started back with rock crawlers in 2008. Everyone was using a wheel radio. I've been using one ever since. However, my first practice session at the track last week was the first time since 2008 that I'd kind of thought I might be better off with sticks again.

So, what's your preference any why?

I for being into the hobby for almost  30 years I have used both and still use both but for different reason.... For my ground vehicles & boats I prefer the feel and functionality of a wheel transmitter for they respond a bit easier and can be used one handed quite easily... Now for helos & aircraft I prefer a stick for it has more functionality to the model with multiples switches and sticks for the ability to manually trim the stick's as need for each channel...   IM a bit of a weirdo when it comes to transmitters and such LOL

Some really interesting replies, thanks. Seems people in to the hobby (particularly racing) back in the day used sticks. but now use wheel.

47 minutes ago, Jonathon Gillham said:

Whats common at your club where you race?

Kids (under 20.....), use wheel, the rest of us veterans are on sticks.

Newer, returning to the hobby/sport, members want sticks, but with prices quite an investment, (The Sanwa Exzes ZZ are knocking on £500 new, and Futaba T4GRS are around half that) they're getting wheels, so will probably get out numbered soon.

(The , rare in clubs, was in the 80's and some of the 90's when I first raced) 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, toyolien said:

Some really interesting replies, thanks. Seems people in to the hobby (particularly racing) back in the day used sticks. but now use wheel.

That sums up my experience (apart from the bit about racing) now I got some vintage cars that run stick cause that’s how they roll but I thought I’d get a wheel when I got restarted in 2018

4 hours ago, alvinlwh said:

Pretty sure you can switch your game around to the correct way though. 

I've actually tried this a few times over the years with different games, (even RC-themed games!) and all ended in failure :lol:

• Haha 1