lowspot

The ultimo Kyosho Ultima build - motor choice

This buggy is really growing on me. Had my eye on an Optima, but, may have to rethink. Optima is pretty low, but I love the clearance here. Should be able to rip almost anywhere!

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, cambragol said:

This buggy is really growing on me. Had my eye on an Optima, but, may have to rethink. Optima is pretty low, but I love the clearance here. Should be able to rip almost anywhere!

Keep in mind one thing about the Optima: it is a 4WD, which means the front is also going to help rip almost anywhere... On some ground, that makes a huge difference.

But Anyway, I kind of understand where you are: I had similar questions myself when I was looking at my first Kyosho build earlier this year. I was having a hard time choosing between the Javelin/Optima/Turbo Optima and the Turbo Scorpion/Tomahawk... Somehow the inventory available help me to root for the Turbo Scorpion. Few months later I do not regret this a single second, but then I had to have a Javelin, and a Turbo Optima will be part of my next builds (it's already waiting for me): when you don't know what to choose, just take the two :-D

17 hours ago, Grumpy pants said:

Awesome looking buggy!

Thanks Grumpy pants :-)

15 hours ago, cambragol said:

It makes so much fun to drive - just pick what ever you like, you won't be disappointed. They are all great

8 hours ago, silvertriple said:

Keep in mind one thing about the Optima: it is a 4WD, which means the front is also going to help rip almost anywhere... On some ground, that makes a huge difference.

But Anyway, I kind of understand where you are: I had similar questions myself when I was looking at my first Kyosho build earlier this year. I was having a hard time choosing between the Javelin/Optima/Turbo Optima and the Turbo Scorpion/Tomahawk... Somehow the inventory available help me to root for the Turbo Scorpion. Few months later I do not regret this a single second, but then I had to have a Javelin, and a Turbo Optima will be part of my next builds (it's already waiting for me): when you don't know what to choose, just take the two :-D

.... the worst case scenario is that he is buying all of them - that at least is my plan :-)

The main reason I like the Turbo Scorpion over the normal Scorpion is for its big wheels, not so much a fan of the car. 

I will probably build the Turbo Optima and mount the TS rear wheels all around. 

image.gif

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lowspot said:

Thanks Grumpy pants :-)

It makes so much fun to drive - just pick what ever you like, you won't be disappointed. They are all great

.... the worst case scenario is that he is buying all of them - that at least is my plan :-)

The main reason I like the Turbo Scorpion over the normal Scorpion is for its big wheels, not so much a fan of the car. 

I will probably build the Turbo Optima and mount the TS rear wheels all around. 

image.gif

The Turbo Scorpion are slightly different from others 2.2 inches you would generally find out there. There is some deport with them. While you can almost mount any hex 2.2 inches on the Javelin or the Turbo Optima (and likely the same for the rear of the Ultima), it is not the case on the Turbo Scorpion...

3 hours ago, silvertriple said:

The Turbo Scorpion are slightly different from others 2.2 inches you would generally find out there. There is some deport with them. While you can almost mount any hex 2.2 inches on the Javelin or the Turbo Optima (and likely the same for the rear of the Ultima), it is not the case on the Turbo Scorpion...

You mean the large offset of probably +9 or +12 ?

14 minutes ago, lowspot said:

You mean the large offset of probably +9 or +12 ?

Yes, I can run my Javelin with Tamiya star dish wheels, it is not the case with the Turbo Scorpion, as there is not enough clearance for the shocks... I believe you could eventually with the Ultima, as the setup is quite similar in this respect to an Optima chassis

The clearance is adjustable on the Ultima - you can't on the Turbo Scorpion.

I can't decide if whether I should get a Javelin or a Turbo Optima first - I love the open design but also love the gold parts on the TO. I might convert a Turbo Optima to a Javelin - there are a few parts to modify (rear wing mount) Looks so much better with gold parts

33 minutes ago, lowspot said:

The clearance is adjustable on the Ultima - you can't on the Turbo Scorpion.

I can't decide if whether I should get a Javelin or a Turbo Optima first - I love the open design but also love the gold parts on the TO. I might convert a Turbo Optima to a Javelin - there are a few parts to modify (rear wing mount) Looks so much better with gold parts

Well, on this last element, I took both. The Turbo Optima is not built yet, and I will start it soon.

I ordered both at the same time when they showed back in inventory early this year. The Legendary series 4WD are apparently produced by batch, and there is just one period when they are produced within the year. They generally start to land in Europe early April. The first container was sold out very quickly, and what is in inventory currently is the second of the year if what my dealer is saying is true. Usually, the Turbo Optima gets depleted first, then the Javelin, and the Optima will last a bit more time.

If you are hesitating like I did, you will probably end by getting the pair. Then will come the question of what you will do first. On my side, the choice was the Javelin due to many reasons:

• the Turbo Optima was my 50's birthday present I did to myself (at least officially :-D), which mean I should not open it before September (yeah, now, I can :-D)
  • the Turbo Optima has some additional details making a difference compared with the Javelin, which would be options on the Javelin (shocks, sway bars, underside tray), so in my opinion, the Javelin was the one to build first
  • I love doing the paint jobs, and Javelin has basically a reduced activity in this area, so this is another reason (at least for me) to go first with the Javelin

Options wise, you may want to get brushless spur gear for both (OTW126), but it is currently unavailable. It will show up at some point within the inventory, but only Kyosho knows about this.

On the Turbo Optima, you way want to add a wing (javelin wing + wing support), and maybe some carbon parts (for the radio plate, mainly).

On the Javelin, you may want to add anything that makes the Turbo Optima different, but if you get as well a Turbo Optima, it doesn't make any sense (at least on my side) to add up on the cost. And clearly, it works well out of the box with the 13.5T and Performa Racing P1 ESC (the same as Kyosho Le Mans except the color) on my home track. I suspect the OTW126 will allow for more speed and reduce the trend of the front wheels to go up in the air. I just got a second set of wheels (Optima, metal plated) for the shelve and I'm now running it with the standard kit wheels...

You may have a look into my Javelin thread in the Kyosho corner. I will probably do a similar one for the Turbo Optima once I start it.

• Like 1

My motors have arrived today -4 days from Japan to Australia - not bad :-)

Still not sure which one but I have started with the Le Mans 240SB and have removed all capacitors and cleaned the soldering spots.

Then ultrasonic cleaned the parts and put it back together. Not perfect but a great motor 

i9UWSZ.jpg

Pr39yw.jpg

vanQDc.jpg

joflf6.jpg

lcyu5m.jpg

BtnHjY.jpg

The green LeMans 480T is not restored yet. Waiting for a new motor label. I could also choose the AYK Magnum 360LB or the 480R but I might keep it for the Turbo Javelin :-)

.......still not finished 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lowspot said:

I might keep it for the Turbo Javelin :-)

I like this idea :-D

That being said, I felt a bit frustrated building the Javelin, although it is a very nice enjoyable build. The lack of paintjob was the part which left me unsatisfied...

Maybe adding a cut bodyshell on the front side on a Javelin like on a Hotshot could help to mitigate this... Don't know why this idea come to my mind now while I'm typing, but it may be because of the hybrid idea coming with the Turbo Javelin :-D

That is a seriously powerful collection of brushed motors you have there...I live in Japan and know what those go for here...so also a valuable set! Yikes! Nice work and getting them restored.

I am hoping to find a Trinity like you have myself, as it seems to pop up as a real beast here and there (I really know nothing about motors.)

9 hours ago, Mrowka said:

So I can just use Turbo Scorpion tires/wheels on my Ultima?

You need 2 sets of rear wheels and tires. The Ultima is a 4WD and the Scorpion a 2WD and only the rears have a hex adapter.

They fit on any Tamiya/Kyosho 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, silvertriple said:

I like this idea :-D

That being said, I felt a bit frustrated building the Javelin, although it is a very nice enjoyable build. The lack of paintjob was the part which left me unsatisfied...

Maybe adding a cut bodyshell on the front side on a Javelin like on a Hotshot could help to mitigate this... Don't know why this idea come to my mind now while I'm typing, but it may be because of the hybrid idea coming with the Turbo Javelin :-D

I have seen some very nice painted Javelins, like this example - I even have found a metal wing for it.

9349798ee935cccfd2f1b383610d6174.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, cambragol said:

That is a seriously powerful collection of brushed motors you have there...I live in Japan and know what those go for here...so also a valuable set! Yikes! Nice work and getting them restored.

I am hoping to find a Trinity like you have myself, as it seems to pop up as a real beast here and there (I really know nothing about motors.)

Too kind, thank you. These old brushed motors are just beautiful. I have bought the Trinity about 3 years ago and have paid only a fraction of what they are going for today. Prices seem to be out of control. One of the reasons could be that there are no re releases of brushed motors.

Can I borrow your expertise for a moment?

I'm looking at this motor, a Trinity from the 1987 World's, I guess. Is it a decent motor? I'm just looking for something a bit old-school and badass, to go with my Hotshot II. Never had an RC back in the 80s, so I don't have any clue as to what was good/powerful/badass back then.

spacer.png

That’s a genuine Trinity but not sure about the specs - had mine in a Hotshot and it was virtualy flying, almost too much power.

Biggest problem is to find brushes. Mine is eating a set within 2 battery packs :-)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mrowka said:

So I can just use Turbo Scorpion tires/wheels on my Ultima?

13 hours ago, lowspot said:

You need 2 sets of rear wheels and tires. The Ultima is a 4WD and the Scorpion a 2WD and only the rears have a hex adapter.

Ultima 2wd, Optima 4wd?

13 hours ago, lowspot said:

I have seen some very nice painted Javelins, like this example - I even have found a metal wing for it.

9349798ee935cccfd2f1b383610d6174.jpg

well. The Javelin wing you see on the picture is made in Korea, and it's a Pargu one. They also do aluminium rims for Optima/Javelin. You should be able to find them on ebay...

For the roll cage, I'm not fan of paint on Nylon, especially if it is a runner: the paint tend to peal easily. That being said, there is one guy who build Javelin roll cages in aluminium. Search for Bermudez custom design on internet... I saw these, they are really nice, but I'm not sure this is still possible to get...

1 minute ago, silvertriple said:

well. The Javelin wing you see on the picture is made in Korea, and it's a Pargu one. They also do aluminium rims for Optima/Javelin. You should be able to find them on ebay...

For the roll cage, I'm not fan of paint on Nylon, especially if it is a runner: the paint tend to peal easily. That being said, there is one guy who build Javelin roll cages in aluminium. Search for Bermudez custom design on internet... I saw these, they are really nice, but I'm not sure this is still possible to get...

I know, have found them and I'm a fan of their alloy wheels. I have seen the alloy roll cage on google in a blog  but couldn't find one on ebay or any other source.- It might be not available anymore. I'm running my cars on a regular base but very carefully. Had a hotshot with white painted roll cage and it didn't flake at all but it was a fair amount of work with sanding and primer and multiple layers of paint and clear.

I was wondering about the possibility of an aluminum/metal roll-bar for the Hotshot too. Very interesting to hear that the Javelin had one made somewhere at some point...

On 9/17/2021 at 4:43 PM, lowspot said:

Sorry, Optima, not Ultima.