Only4Fun

Happy Birthday to me CC-02 Unimog 😃

So that's the chassis complete apart from the wheels. I'm not going to use the red ones from the kit because I don't like the colour.

One idea I'm thinking about is sharing the wheels from my DF-03RA Datsun 240Z Rally because they're the same design but in black. 

20210919_153143.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like you can extend the wheelbase out pretty far with those extra shock mounts up front.  Does the kit come with the parts to extend or do you need to get new links on your own?

Kits (Merc long, unimog short) lack drive/prop shafts of different lengths to change each kit

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Looks like you can extend the wheelbase out pretty far with those extra shock mounts up front.  Does the kit come with the parts to extend or do you need to get new links on your own?

As Taffer said, there aren't different length props or links in the kit for a different wheelbase. But you can change the position of the link brackets on the chassis to adjust it. Matteo has a video explaining how to do this.

• Like 2

I've painted the body but I'm very disappointed because it's not turned out well. My plan was to achieve a nice deep burgundy colour using metallic red backed with black. As you can see, that didn't work and I've got a patchy dark orange/copper colour. In retrospect maybe I should've sprayed the black on the red while the red was still wet so the colours mixed. Oh well, live and learn. 😀👍 I am however very pleased with my first attempt at masking the bumpers, wheel arches and rear bed. They look great with nice crisp lines between the colours. I will continue by spraying them, and the side body parts, with flat clear on the outside, (Also my first time doing that). I don't think they look right in gloss black. This will give them a matt black look, and for me, make them look more realistic. Hopefully it will look a bit better when it's finished with the rest of the body parts attached and some decals. 

20210922_111605.jpg

20210922_132453.jpg

• Like 2

I like the color!  I use a lot of Tamiya PS metallics and I usually spray nearly an entire can on the body and then back with silver (PS41), then black.  I do them all in succession when they are just a bit tacky and get nice, uniform color.  I think they key with metallics is to get really good coverage before you start backing them since they are pretty transparent. 

I think adding flat clear to the black parts is the way to go as well.  Can't wait to see it all finished. 

• Like 2

@Only4FunActually that color has character even if it did not turn out even, I like it.  As you said, after you apply decals and install all sorts of accessories to dress it up, it should look fine.

Worse case you can paint it from the outside too.   PS as primer, then stack TS color of your choice especially if you want a matte finish.  I plan on getting that LandRover CC02 when released and will paint it from the outside using matte olive drab to match my other Willy themed vehicles.  :D

Here is an example of a junk Amazon RC I modified and Lexan painted on the outside using TS28..

IMG_Aug52021at82219AM.jpg.7abfb582b3055b2ce406df67591627f9.jpg

• Like 2

Clear red backed with gunmetal might be closer to what you were after.

35f7d12b0aa0d3b56ace6ec0d56f3242.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Blista said:

Clear red backed with gunmetal might be closer to what you were after.

35f7d12b0aa0d3b56ace6ec0d56f3242.jpg

That's exactly the colour I wanted 😀👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Only4Fun said:

That's exactly the colour I wanted 😀👍

If you're feeling adventurous, you can use Tamiya's polycarbonate body cleaner to remove your first painting attempt and try again.  It's a bit of effort but better than looking at a body you're not happy with and cheaper than buying a new body.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Blista said:

If you're feeling adventurous, you can use Tamiya's polycarbonate body cleaner to remove your first painting attempt and try again.  It's a bit of effort but better than looking at a body you're not happy with and cheaper than buying a new body.

Thanks for the tip Blista but it's growing on me now. I think I'll put it down to experience. But I have made a note of the paint and your previous comment for when I feel adventurous enough to try again 😀👍

• Like 1

The body's nearly finished and doesn't look too bad now. The flat clear worked well and has given the rear bed, wheel arches, bumpers, and side panels the matt finish I wanted.

I sat it on the chassis while I tried these white wheels to see what they looked like.

Unfortunately the hex is too deep inside them so the front ones rub on the C-hubs, and the tyres rub on the steering link.

Back to the drawing board 😄👍

20210924_174710.jpg

• Like 7

Welcome to the metallic red Unimog club.  I guess I'm technically an ex-member since I sold mine last year though.

8YbgbG2.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Only4Fun said:

I've decided to use my DF-03RA Datsun 240z Rally wheels for now. 

20210925_140120.jpg

That is a nice match.  I loved the old orange/red 240Z’s with the black wheels.   Honestly that was the kind of color scheme I went for on my recent build although mine also has an olive drab with the red.

Looks good. Are you going to do jerry cans and other accessories?  

• Thanks 1

@Willy iine Thank you. Apart from a driver I will probably leave it as it is.

If it had a deep bed I would be more inclined to add some scale accessories. 

• Like 1

Not sure if it matters to you, @Only4Fun, I run black wheel nuts on my darker colored wheels.  It tames down the chrome dot in the center.  I suppose you can paint them if you do not plan on removing the wheels much.  I paint the tip of the axle black to match the nuts.

• Like 2

Because this is only going to be used for trailing on woodland paths I decided to try my first "stealth" body which went well. I'm happy with how it looks

20210928_155725.jpg

20210928_155836.jpg

20210928_171642.jpg

• Like 4

Unfortunately when I started to peel away the windscreen mask it pulled off some paint from the pillar.

Luckily I have some spray paint left so I've rubbed it down and will touch it in.

All part of the fun I guess  🙂👍

20210928_171651.jpg

20210928_172819.jpg

Well the touching in looks ok. I'm a bit nervous about peeling off the other masks though 😬

20210929_153046.jpg

Just go around the edges of the masks lightly with a sharp blade and it should be fine.  I usually pull masks when the paint is still wet for this reason, you'll never pull up an edge when the paint is still wet. 

• Thanks 1

@Only4Fun Did you wash the inside of the body with dish detergent and sponge (or similar) prior to paint?   Not sure why it peeled back even if paint was there for a few days..  Good recovery, however! 

• Thanks 1