Only4Fun

Happy Birthday to me CC-02 Unimog 😃

45 minutes ago, Willy iine said:

@Only4Fun Did you wash the inside of the body with dish detergent and sponge (or similar) prior to paint?   Not sure why it peeled back even if paint was there for a few days..  Good recovery, however! 

Yes I used the green scouring side of kitchen sponge to lightly rub the body and then washed it with detergent. But I didn't rub the pillars because I didn't want to mark the windows.

I folded some wet & dry and used the folded edge to rub down the paint and pillar for the touching in.

2 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Just go around the edges of the masks lightly with a sharp blade and it should be fine.  I usually pull masks when the paint is still wet for this reason, you'll never pull up an edge when the paint is still wet. 

I left the masks on so I didn't mark the windows while I was fitting the metal mounts for the body magnets.

I will take your advice the next time and remove them sooner rather than later 🙂👍

1 hour ago, Only4Fun said:

Yes I used the green scouring side of kitchen sponge to lightly rub the body and then washed it with detergent. But I didn't rub the pillars because I didn't want to mark the windows.

I folded some wet & dry and used the folded edge to rub down the paint and pillar for the touching in.

I see.  I only use the soft sponge side to gently wash away the release agent.. 

When in a hurry I use IPA on a lint free microfiber towel and wipe away the oil.  It works just as well.. if not better as there is minimal dry time.   

• Thanks 1

@Willy iine When I first started painting bodies a friend recommended using the green side because it gives slight abrasion and helps the paint stick to the body.

It's worked for me so far and I guess the paint peeled because that was an area I avoided. 🙂

All the other masks peeled off ok with a little help from a scalpel, except the last one. Typical ! A small bit of paint came off at the top of a corner window.

This was another area near the windows I didn't go very near when I was initially rubbing it down and cleaning ready for painting.

Because I don't want to mask everything up again and risk peeling more paint off I've put a bit of tape on the window and will spray the paint into it's lid and brush it on.

It's a tiny area so it doesn't matter if the finish isn't perfect.

20210930_105106.jpg

• Like 2

@Willy iine knows what he'd doing so I'd listen to him, but I typically scuff the inside of the body with very fine (0000) steel wool to give some bite to the surface, then wash in warm water with dish soap and a soft sponge.  Once the body is dry I'll give it a rub with some alcohol and then start painting.  

20 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Great build mate, thanks for sharing the fun :)

Thank you very much 🙂👍

Happy late birthday :) I have the G500 version and I love it. With a few mods it turned out to be a pretty capable trail rig. Whole build felt quintessential Tamiya but with an oddly modern feeling

@Only4Fun Pro-Line 90-95mm scaler shocks with 35wt oil, RC4WD 1.55" steel beadlocks with Pitbull Growler tires. I had to cut the wheel arches to fit the tires, then I designed and 3D printed some wider wheel arches. Also designed and printed a new front bumper to give me more approach angle. You can check it out here https://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/99765-my-cc-02-build/

• Thanks 1

So after running the Unimog a few times I decided to upgraded the motor and esc to a system more suitable for this kind of RC. Apologies for the sound quality. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Only4Fun said:

So after running the Unimog a few times I decided to upgraded the motor and esc to a system more suitable for this kind of RC. Apologies for the sound quality. 

What effect has it made to the top speed. Will it still maintain a fast walking pace for trail running?

45 minutes ago, Only4Fun said:

@Busdriver You inspired me to make this 🙂👍👍

Thanks, that’s a perfect speed.

• Like 1

@Only4Fun That's good speed.. actually quite fast imo for a crawler!

When I drive my CC01/CR01 I think I'm going no faster than 3-4mph tops even if it can go faster.  It's all about the modulation and control to try to drive it as smoothly and realistically as possible at low speeds...which reminds me, I should get a drag braking ESC for my CR01.

• Like 1