Sign in to follow this  
OoALEJOoO

Dual Rider + 6X AAA Battery Pack

Hello there fellow Tamiya enthusiasts!

Finally got some time to complete my Dual Rider build and give it a test run. Decided to go with a color-scheme similar to the box art, but mimicking a Yamaha R15 motorbike I used to ride several years ago!

I normally don't dig these type of models (usually go with serious touring car builds) but after experimenting with the Comical Hornet I have to admit I got hooked. The build has everything stock except:

- 370 Sport Tuned motor + metal pinion

- Ball bearings

- Hard 60D foam inserts

- LED lights

- Custom 6xAAA 7.2V NiMh battery pack

01.thumb.JPG.e9ba77a971e816ca64201a4f0799abba.JPG

02.thumb.JPG.a94bf815db0fe50af3906ad4e3f49749.JPG

03.thumb.JPG.c132d5c5d299c79aec57cb8e9a70906a.JPG

04.thumb.JPG.415098e11c64ef4eba17c13822e017cd.JPG

Next time I'll try to remember taking pictures before I scuff the poor thing on its first test run :P

After thoroughly checking the internet for battery options, it seems most people are using small LiPos or the 4.8v battery holder. I decided to try a different route and soldered a 6xAAA NiMh 1000mAh battery pack myself:

05.JPG.3fe43adc2fd575bd3887e25488cd1c4b.JPG

Unfortunately there was no room for a 6xAA pack, but there is plenty of room for a tiny 6xAAA!! The 7.2V 1000mAh capacity provided about 25 minutes of run time on a level concrete parking lot using the Sport Tuned motor.

What an interesting vehicle the D3-01 is compared to everything 4-wheel Tamiya I've tried before. My impressions from its handling is that it could benefit from less grip on the rear ties. There is indeed the speed-steer everyone talks about, where the slower you go the smaller the turning circle becomes, but the fact that the rear tires have so much grip makes it impossible to brake-oversteer in the slightest to make quick steering adjustments. In fact, the rear wheels had so much braking grip that the tires skip-jump when braking hard instead of sliding. I'll probably fit new ties at some point. Perhaps I'll go with the poor-mans-drifter method and put masking tape on the rear wheels and see how it performs with zero rear wheel grip and interpolate from there. Lot's of fun to drive around.

I hope the 6xAAA 7.2V battery tip helps people on the fence of whether getting this model. It's a great drive and the battery really makes it easier to power for those of us using NiMh solutions. Greatly recommended kit.

• Like 2

Nice job, @OoALEJOoO    I was thinking about trying the battery off my Flamingo and have yet to try it.    One of these days..!

Mine was done per box art with no modification, using Tamiya 4AA tray. 

That's a nice solution, there are some companies that'll make packs up for you too .

25 mins is really not too bad at all, and super fast to recharge as well.

This is my one complaint about this model. I love unique and interesting builds but I refuse to buy anything that can't accept standard electronics.

Ftx sell a small lipo 1100mah that fits easily?

The four AA battery hopup was approx. £10 to buy when I got it

5 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

Next time I'll try to remember taking pictures before I scuff the poor thing on its first test run :P

We had all done that one before! :D

On a recent build, I did remember to take the pictures, and broke both mirrors off minutes after that.

6 hours ago, OoALEJOoO said:

. In fact, the rear wheels had so much braking grip that the tires skip-jump when braking hard instead of sliding. I'll probably fit new ties at some point

I have found this with mine as well. 
If I run on a very dusty and smooth garage floor I can slide the rear, but on higher grip surfaces they skip jump, sometimes resulting  in a nasty High Side crash.  Probably doesn’t help any that the LaTrax 7575x brushed 370 I have in it is a little hotter than even the sport tuned 370. 
Oh and beautiful Yamaha inspired livery by the way.