nzl60

BNIB 1988 Avante

Super longtime since I have posted here but we are back in lockdown in NZ and it has had me going through what I have tucked away. 

One thing I have dug back out is my 1988 BNIB Avante (unfortunately the one without the Technigold included) which is in my showroom.

I am considering parting ways with this having owned it nearly 14 years but trying to figure out a fair value these days with rere's, ups and downs in the market, scarcity of them coming up on eBay is a nightmare. Just wondering if anyone has sold one recently or may have an idea of the range it might go for?

I have no need to sell it but I am thinking that my nostalgia for the car has more or less gone (I had one way back in the day as my first proper rc) and others may appreciate it more than me keeping it in a cupboard. My children are more into Traxxas than Tamiya sadly! Having said all that if its not so desirable Ill probably just hang on to it.....maybe all the nostalgia hasn't gone just yet

Any thoughts appreciated.

• Like 2

I've been (secretly?)  in the market for the original Egress, and the prices I am seeing are $1500+ range.  I do not have much knowledge of the Egress nor the relation with the Avante, but I heard the Egress is a modified version of the Avante.

I am guessing you are not rushing to sell, so I would start with $1500 or higher and put a obo to test the market by seeing responses, and decide later what you would like to do.

In my case I can buy 2 new rere Egress for about the same price of the one original, so I am trying to decide which is the best approach for me.  It is not every day that I spend $1500 on a chassis I will probably never use.. but if I own 2 chassis then I would build one and keep the other as display..but not as significant as the original.   grrrrr..  sorry to post my personal problems in parallel.. :lol: 

• Like 1

My two cents (useless, probably):

- the Avante has been my all-time favourite RC model since its release: I was 12 at the time, very inexperienced in all things RC (I had been running a Grasshopper for a couple of years), fell in love with it and, in spite of its outrageous list price in Italy (and the need of a previously unknown thing called "ESC") I convinced my parents to place an order for Christmas;

- the car never turned up: I don't know if it was my LHS's fault or whatever, but I didn't get it;

- time passed by, price kept staying high, other cars came and went until I lose interest in the RC hobby;

- more than a decade ago I was in the position to indulge in this hobby again and in a few months I got an original Egress in virtually as new condition for what seemed a very good price (300 euro with a very good motor and electronics) and a newly built Avante for a not so good price ( circa 700 euro IIRC, but none was thinking a re-re was in the cards, back then).

What I'm still missing after all these years is the big-white-box-opening-on-Christmas-morning experience, therefore I could be firsti in line among the potential buyers of yours,

BUT

I don't see any appeal in getting a NIB kit and never build it: I'd buy it specifically for the building experience (if not for running the car with extreme care), therefore I wouldn't pay an uber premium price for a box which will lose half (?) its worth the moment I open it.

In recent years I've been tempted to buy a re-re Avante, but somehow I fear that knowing it's not the real deal could spoil that ^^ experience.

But @Willy iine speaks sense IMHO: there should be lots of interested NIB collectors out there or just enthusiasts richer than me ready to spend "interesting" sums on yours; I just think that 1500$ for a technigold-less kit could be a bit too much, but I admit I'm no expert of this sort of market.

2 hours ago, Willy iine said:

I've been (secretly?)  in the market for the original Egress, and the prices I am seeing are $1500+ range.  I do not have much knowledge of the Egress nor the relation with the Avante, but I heard the Egress is a modified version of the Avante.

At the risk of going off-topic, in brief the Egress is a better and tougher runner than the Avante, partly because of its simpler suspensions, which are also the reason why the Avante is a more interesting kit and (to my eyes) a looker in comparison to the Egress.

@Tex76 Honestly I don't know anything about these cars besides they are considered one of Tamiya's greatest creations and they look cool.  For me it does not need to be built as long as it is a car that is desired by many and considered a collectible. 

It's just going to be a conversation piece for my RC room to add some more sparkle for RC dorks to be perfectly honest.. :lol:

• Like 1

The original avante and the re-release are both going for strong money because as it stands at the moment you can't get eather and the egress is getting drip fed through to hobby shops thus getting snapped up immediately! I've noticed that both avante's are generally selling for roughly the same price but when the re-release makes another appearance (which apparently is imminent) the price of a second hand re-release will diminish although that hasn't happened with the egress probably because they are still very thin on the ground! I would say sell it right now or keep it until they discontinue the re-release again I'm looking at price in the UK at around the £450-650 depending upon the condition if you have the box which has the deleted motor actually printed on the it although it hasn't got the motor because of its rarity they tend to go for the same price if it's in good condition!

Put it on TradeMe for $1 reserve? 😉

The super expensive eBay ones, like other vintage buggies, simply don't sell, they're speculative posts waiting for a new lottery winner.

Most of these get passed on by private treaty and for a lot less than those headline prices. My NIB vintage Egress is probably worth about US$1000 via non-commercial channels if it were for sale, my Top Force Evolution about the same. I'd put a vintage Avante in that ballpark, possibly a bit less because the Egress ultimately eclipsed it. A Techigold would bump it back up. The fact that their values have hardly changed in a decade is telling, they're not a lucrative investment.

An original nib Avante will always command a good price especially in nice condition. Technigold or not doesn’t make that much difference. Some say the motor delete edition is rarer but I’d say that the motor included is a bit more scarce as it was only available in Japan. I’d say about a grand is about right. There are a few things to look at and see if it’s from the first or second batch of kits because there are a few little differences. 

10 hours ago, Nugget said:

Some say the motor delete edition is rarer but I’d say that the motor included is a bit more scarce as it was only available in Japan. 

Radio_Control_Car_Action_Magazine_1989-03_0035.thumb.jpg.fb4d272b8174be3c747542cef7b5b898.jpg