Revellman

Tamiya gear boxes

In most cases filling will not harm BUT it will cause drag. It can also keep water out,which is good.

Its a happy medium really.

Greetings... Its more of a personal preference really.... I typically use about a medium amount on my road cars..... I will fill it about a 1/3rd of the way full with grease... If its a trail truck or a rock crawler,  I will fill it halfway to 2/3rd's full... and what type of grease can be crucial as well so pay attention to what it calls for... I myself use a full synthetic gear grease on every single RC car I own from bashers, trail trucks, crawlers, on and offroad cars, Heck even my cheapie XLF gets some....  :D:D

I use a toothpick to coat each tooth surface with the tiniest amount of tamiya ceramic grease, that's all it needs

• Like 1

I run a thin bead around the entire gear and let the rotation of gears spread it out. 

• Like 2

I think if you are just building a basher and you don't care too much about striping and maintaining it, thick grease and seal it up and be done with it. If you are going for top speed and strip it down for maintenance frequently, light oiling. I use a WD-40 silicone spray. Not 100% sure if that is actually suitable or not. 

On that note, looking at the "oil" cap on a CW-01 (and a handful of other gearboxes with similar cap), I feel like sealing the gearbox up, drilling a "drain plug" and filling the thing up with 10w-40. This gives me an idea of putting the question out there on the main forum. 

On 9/16/2021 at 10:47 AM, Revellman said:

Dose the gearbox work better with a bit of greese or fill it with greese thanks

Huh, I thought I replied to this thread.. Just use a dab of kit grease especially on the bushings.  Gears I just very lightly coat them because the instructions say so, I've raced cars with no grease on the gears with no issue.  

• Like 1

Off topic but related...

Here in Australia, dust is a big problem. Because It's so dry a lot of the time and the dust is fine like powder, you can imagine how much gets thrown up by the wheels of an RC car.

In order to keep the dust away from gears I apply a layer of grease on one of the mating surfaces of the gear housing so when they are screwed together, it forms a gasket of grease that prevents the dust entering. Just curious if others do this also?

Dust is also why I don't grease dogbones or universals at all because grease attracts dust wihich combined act like a lapping paste. I feel this would increase wear, unless perhaps you cleaned off and re-applied the grease after each run.

• Like 1

Just to pick up on this thread, what grease is recommended for a Tamiya gearbox, silicons grease? Cheers

Good point about the axels/dogbones etc. Zealot, I’ve been told to run all of that dry, especially if you’re running bearings as it it’ll already be running super smooth, to avoid picking up dirt in the grease it just staying there and causes wear.