Crazy L

Just bought a Clodbuster

kind of fancied one since I was a kid, and only now, after getting the MT bug back after finishing my big brute, have I ordered one.

What can I expect?  I have heard the general opinion of the steering is that its poo and would seriously benefit from a servo on axle mod.  I am looking to simply building it for now.  Upgrades may come later.  

Does anyone have any other mods/advice that I may make a mental not of?

• Like 1

There is ridiculous annoyance and charm in the stock Clod:)

Steering is almost a must and there are a few fixes to choose from depending on what direction you want the build to go in.

3s on silver cans is plenty fast and the easiest way, saves messing with motors and timing etc.

The stock Clod always puts a Cheshire Cat smile on my face. So bouncy and daft but great fun!

• Like 2

Swap out the aluminium motor pinions for steel ones. Be mindful of the cost of replacement body parts before scraping it along it's roof.

• Like 3

Greetings and welcome to the mad house AKA Clodbuster club... As for the steering issues most talk about she can get a bit squirrely but when building the gearboxes, IF you tigthen down the steering linkage arm nut down to the specified setting in the manual & leave the rear one about half the length the manual says will help a ton in the way it handles,  (see pic below on step 34) This is from the original clod manual but its still relevant....   I wouldn't rush out for steel gears immediately for they are not really needed that much unless your gonna drive it almost every day and pretty hard...  I STRONGLY recommend a full ball bearing kit and a full synthetic gear grease as well when building it up and follow the instructions to the T and your golden!!!!

Steering link nut.jpg

• Like 1

What can you expect?  A tremendously clunky and unrefined vehicle that is 100% sure to put a smile on your face :)   Build it stock to start with bearings and go from there.  I also second @MadInventor's advice on steel pinions.  Running it at all will wear the stock pinions and create a nice aluminum shaving/grease soup in your gearboxes in no time.

As far as actual upgrades, it really depends on what you're looking to get out of it and how you'll use it.  If it's just for bouncing around the yard then not much is needed really and you get to keep that original Clod charm.  I've upgraded many Clods beyond recognition in my lifetime and just recently built/restored 2 originals back to stock because I missed that original feel.  Nothing puts a smile on a Tamiya lovers face like a stock Clod does, its really a special thing.  

Steering is poor stock, but it's really not 100% necessary to fiddle with it for fun running.  I would recommend a 35kg or similar servo, that will help.  The suggestions from @Original Jardasius will help as will swapping the position of the long rods on the servo to keep them parallel throughout their travel.   I run both of my stockers with 35kg servos and the other small steering mods and they steer just fine for what they are.  Again, once you start putting servos on the axles and modifying the suspension you loose that original Clod magic pretty quick.  

Whatever you decide to do with it good luck and have fun.  It's a great build and if you've never owned one before just the size of it when completed will make you smile.  The Chevy square body is fantastic as well, typical Tamiya awesomeness in that hard body.  Be sure to post up some pics when you're done.

• Like 2

Cheers chaps.  Just picked it up today from my Sisters, who it delivered to while I was a away.

I shall heed advice and purchase some bearings and paint before I even start.  I will put RW pinions in asap though as I run them in all my 1/10th cars (support local firms).  I look forward to it.  I'm sure you've all seen a build many times over though so I might post pics, might not.  Depends if you want them.  Or, I might do build vids for my channel.  What say you guys?

• Like 1

On 9/17/2021 at 4:15 AM, Crazy L said:

kind of fancied one since I was a kid, and only now, after getting the MT bug back after finishing my big brute, have I ordered one.

What can I expect?  I have heard the general opinion of the steering is that its poo and would seriously benefit from a servo on axle mod.  I am looking to simply building it for now.  Upgrades may come later.  

Does anyone have any other mods/advice that I may make a mental not of?

Have you been able to find tires for the Big Brute?

If you want monster truck handling I can highly recommend ukmonsters' 4 link and axle steering kits, they are great value for the money and fit with the kit steel braces.  I found them on ebay.

I use FTX Kanyon shocks and springs in a few of my builds and none have leaked yet, they are very good value for money too.

Good luck with your build!

20210710_163304.jpg

On 9/24/2021 at 11:43 PM, Sprocket said:

Have you been able to find tires for the Big Brute?

The tyres on my Brute are still good.  No signs of perishing at all.  Might smear some rubber treatment on them also, just to give them a chance now they're being used.

Are you looking for some then?  I rather fancy they're nigh on impossible to find.

39 minutes ago, Perkigar said:

If you want monster truck handling I can highly recommend ukmonsters' 4 link and axle steering kits, they are great value for the money and fit with the kit steel braces.  I found them on ebay.

I use FTX Kanyon shocks and springs in a few of my builds and none have leaked yet, they are very good value for money too.

Good luck with your build!

Cheers.  I have seen the UK Monsters stuff, wallet busting, lol, but tasty.  I will be building it standard first, with the inclusion of ballraces though, of course.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crazy L said:

The tyres on my Brute are still good.  No signs of perishing at all.  Might smear some rubber treatment on them also, just to give them a chance now they're being used.

Are you looking for some then?  I rather fancy they're nigh on impossible to find.

Yes, I’d like to replace my tires. I’ve had to shelve my Big Brute as the tires are completely dry rotted out.

Wait!!,.....

What,?????

The "clodbuster" has 'steering?"

I thought that when you push left on a clodbuster, it doesn't turn to the left, it actually pushes the world to the right??..

That's what I heard....

• Haha 3

I have a 40Kg servo to plon in it, also, paint and RW pinions are on their way.  Really not a fan of ali pinions, so thought I would just bite the bullet and order them now, that way, I don't have to mess about fitting them later and having all that grey grease crud everywhere.

Going to start the build at the weekend.  Looking forward to it. 

10 hours ago, Crazy L said:

Going to start the build at the weekend.  Looking forward to it. 

Chuck Norris is now hiding under his bedclothes in fear that something more powerful than him is being created..

• Like 1

OK guys.  So I've started it.

I have a couple of questions.  Firstly, I put the body posts on, longer at the front, shorter at the rear, as per manual.  However, when it comes to mounting the body, the aerial tube mount is in the front body mount piece, not the rear.  What on earth is going on here?  It's rare for the big T to make a manual balls up.

It's a 35Kg servo I have, don't know why I thought it was a 40Kg item, anyway, steering is poo, lol.  When going forward, the front barely turns, but the rear does ok, and when going backwards, the front turns but the rear doesn't.  Seems like the leading end won't have any of it but the trailing end is fine.  I followed the manual.  

That's how a clod buster steering works, the trailing axle does the steering. You've got to remember this was made in 1987, when it was designed to work off a single 2.9kg servo and 2 channel radio. Also 1:1 monster trucks in the 80s mostly drove off a hydraulic ram operating the rear steering, and is still in use today. If it bothers you, then go to twin axle mounted servos. 🙂

Yup, that's how a Clod steers.  If you fix the geometry of the stock rods the front will steer a bit, but most of the steering will be done with the rear axle.  If you're keeping the truck mostly stock I would just leave it as is, but if it really bothers you they can be mounted on the axles as @berman said.  

As for the body mounts, the plates that the posts mount to are different, you have the front on the rear.   Front is A1 and rear is A6, you have them swapped.  I just looked at the Super Clod manual and it looks correct in there. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 87lc2 said:

Yup, that's how a Clod steers.  If you fix the geometry of the stock rods the front will steer a bit, but most of the steering will be done with the rear axle.  If you're keeping the truck mostly stock I would just leave it as is, but if it really bothers you they can be mounted on the axles as @berman said.  

As for the body mounts, the plates that the posts mount to are different, you have the front on the rear.   Front is A1 and rear is A6, you have them swapped.  I just looked at the Super Clod manual and it looks correct in there. 

I forgot the posts attach to the beam, it was a week ago I did that, lol.  I'll sort that then.  Cheers.

Doesn't bother me as such, Just threw me off and wondered if I was missing a trick.  Thought to myself:  bloomin eck, if I've got 35kilos and struggling to get it to steer, how the badword did they manage with some acoms thing that came in a Techniplus bundle?

Cheers for pointing out the posts.  To be fair, it was probably late, or I was full of youthful exuberance at the time, hahaha.

Happy to help.  I've done similar things many times building kits, usually because I'm in a rush or cut parts from trees without seeing the numbers first...

Yea, using standard servos back in the day with stock Clod steering was not much fun.  At least with the 35kg it will actually steer itself, even if its with mostly the rear wheels.  I'd recommend driving it for a bit like that and see what you think.  Even with HD servos on the axles it will still favor the rear tires when steering.  It's definitley much better, but not really needed for a mostly stock truck.  Have fun with it!

Lovin' the headlights Problemchild.  You seem to have a bit of a collection aswell.  Good effort.

On 10/22/2021 at 2:42 PM, Crazy L said:

Lovin' the headlights Problemchild.  You seem to have a bit of a collection aswell.  Good effort.

Yes - the collection is a bit silly seeing as I only started again properly 5 years ago and had to build a shed to house me which is now full haha

jA3rZrQ.jpg

i built 2x clod resto projects and kept the best one (as per the vid) but I’ve also got a clod black to start ;)

JJ